Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Power Problems?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
chicken george wrote:
So diesels have been greatly improved by things like dual mass flywheels.

Not strictly true, dual mass flywheels are a cheaper way of getting a heavier flywheel in a smaller space, so a more reliable, but more expensive flywheel would be an option that could perform the same task.

Chris.

my evidence http://www.buyautoparts.co.uk/2007/12/07/d...hat-is-it/

All very good and valid points, BUT they are still a cost based decision based on marketing lead requirements. Every component on a car is a compromise, of engineering, cost and purpose. My point is that Dual Mass Flywheels, may make the driving experience smoother, but at what cost? I have a VW Touran than has had 2 DMF replaced in 20K miles, 3 years (currently covered 24K), I have never had a Flywheel replaced before in any of my road cars, so basically it’s not worth the compromise. The same effect can be achieved by heavier flywheels, higher quality friction materials and more complex release mech's, or maybe more cylinders in the engine. Another example of cost cutting, resulting in chocolate tea pot design, and I hate it.

jerry1838 wrote:

Car departed on back of lorry to dealer - suspected clutch problems (after 17000 miles!). Have to say LR Assist has been very good so far. Will update when verdict is known!

FL2 clutches/flywheels lasting 17K miles sound good to you?

Post #19662 8th May 2008 2:37 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Tandemman wrote:
My slipping problem began at 24000 miles and only occurs at 1950 to 2050 rpm when in 4th 5th or 6th gear. The engine surges to 2250 rpm then imediately returns to normal. There is no burning smell it happens very intermittently, is not related to whether the engine/gearbox are ot or cold and happens as often solo as towing. I get the problem about once a week and it will do it 5 to 10 times in a row anf ten nothing for a further week.If itdes it when the cruise control is on the the cruise control automatically cancells itself, exactly as it would if the clutch pedal was pressed. To replicate the problem ,dip the clutch when on cruise control and yu will see what we mean. I believe it will become a common problem when more cars have done more miles. I just hope my clutch doesn't go completely when towing over the Alps this Summer Shocked

I had a Lancia whith the same symptomps and it was a cluch problem. Absolutely no smell. I asue that as the clutch is worn the fristion is not good so no reason for smell to appear. I would not wait untill summer if were you.
If you accelerate hard the slip should be obvoius on the rpm (or hear it) in say third/fourth gear especially uphill or heavy load.
Give it a try FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19684 8th May 2008 6:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

maybe its a message ' stop towing a c Censored van ' Neutral

Seriously though, dragging one of those heavy things around cant be good for the clutch At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Last edited by chicken george on 8th May 2008 7:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #19685 8th May 2008 6:23 pm
Matei

It also happend to e rarely at the beginning but just got worse in a couple of hundrend Km. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19686 8th May 2008 6:23 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

chicken george wrote:
You would be upset without one. they stop a lot of diesel rattle and the shakey gear stick thing that used to affect diesels.
On my mk2 diesel golf the cassettes used to rattle out of the player while stopped at traffic lights, So diesels have been greatly improved by things like dual mass flywheels.

On my recent southern trip I got stuck in terrible stop/start traffic for a few hours yet the only clutch problem I found was my left leg, it got tired from all the pedal pressing Neutral

You have bought a vehicle capable of going off road. I suggest you try going over small rocks and boulders were you have to slip the clutch to keep your speed right down so as not to ground the vehicle. Your clutch will start to burn in no time at all. The test you quoted, any car should have been able to do that if it was road worthy.

waaxh03

Post #19691 8th May 2008 7:00 pm
Matei

Comming back. The problemm I had at my Lancia was the cluch not making good connection with the pressure plate (don't know if the terms in english are correct). A setting of the cluch cable sorted out the problemm at the beginning but after a while it got worse. The car had abt 100k miles.
I know tis will fuel up CG but the car did some towing with the prevoius owner. I do not know if towing generated this probleme (it certently did not improve it) and it surely depended on the drivers's style but since I never towed.
I don't want to start again the caravan topic but if you have a slippage in high gears while towing/heavy load there should be a cutch probleme even if at your mileage it should be rare. Maybe it just is the clutch cable tension.
Anyway I would not go on holiday unless I had a check first. Thumbs Up Hope for the best FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19694 8th May 2008 7:17 pm
waaxh03

chicken george wrote:
maybe its a message ' stop towing a c Censored van ' Neutral

Seriously though, dragging one of those heavy things around cant be good for the clutch

Yet another sarcastic remark. Evil or Very Mad
Seriously though Land Rover sales people told us that these vehicles were capable of towing 2000Kg.
As we don't tow continuously I would expect more than 17000 miles out of a clutch. As we were lead to believe all Land Rovers were made to tow.
I got 50,000 miles out of my last clutch on a 2wd car and that included towing.
If these dual mass flywheels are all that good why did Ford have to recall them on the Ford Mondeo?
I have driven several other diesels without dual mass flywheels and haven't noticed any undue vibration.

waaxh03

Post #19695 8th May 2008 7:20 pm
chicken george

True you would expect a land-rover of all vehicles to be built to tow. But If I was looking for a secondhand LR I would avoid the ones with tow bars there is undeniably extra strain on the car when towing whether thats vans, trailers, fish'n'chip trailers, jetskis or whatever At work
At home

Post #19700 8th May 2008 7:41 pm
waaxh03

I came across this website. It looks as if the dual mass flywheels can be replaced with single plate aftermarket ones.

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/default.asp...;item=5202

waaxh03 Smile

Post #19844 10th May 2008 7:53 pm
chicken george

Luddites Laughing At work
At home

Post #19859 10th May 2008 11:32 pm
Matei

waaxh03 wrote:
I came across this website. It looks as if the dual mass flywheels can be replaced with single plate aftermarket ones.

waaxh03 Smile

I don't think you can do this while on warranty.
If LR would agree than you will certainly have to bear the costs and if LR does not agree and you do it you will most certain loose your warranty.
Somehow I don't think that LR would approve as this would mean that the FL2 has a serious flaw. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19877 11th May 2008 1:55 pm
waaxh03

Matei wrote:
waaxh03 wrote:

waaxh03 Smile

I don't think you can do this while on warranty.
If LR would agree than you will certainly have to bear the costs and if LR does not agree and you do it you will most certain loose your warranty.
Somehow I don't think that LR would approve as this would mean that the FL2 has a serious flaw.

As I plan to keep this car for many years, I do not want to keep having this type of clutch/dual mass flywheel replaced. Especially if it's having problems already at relatively low mileages.
I doubt if a single mass flywheel is available yet for the FL2 anyway but it is worth keeping in mind.

waaxh03

Post #19910 11th May 2008 8:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12