« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > How to get better MPG in an auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
How to get better MPG in an auto

Week 2 of my FL2 ownership and going to and from work (which is only about 4 mile of traffic lights and roundabouts) I am returning about 25mpg which for the size of the car I think is reasonably however I am wondering which is a better way to accelerate from stationary to maintain good mpg

1) The softly softly approach, gently pressing the accelerator thus slowly gaining speed but obviously keeping your foot longer on the gas

2) The heavy foot approach so you speed up much more quickly and thus can ease of the gas much earlier Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #17997 15th Apr 2008 5:24 pm
GWO

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

There was an article in Auto Express some months ago about a guy who accellerated hard and then took his foot off the throttle and he was returning higher MPG. Auto Express then tried it with several drivers and they all returned higher MPG but it was not a very comfortable driving style.

I cannot remember if they tried it with manual and auto cars, I pass my old mags on so cannot look up the article.

Post #18002 15th Apr 2008 5:34 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Mine is now up to 30.3 mpg over distance of 560 miles and will be 3 wks old tomorrow. It's picking up about 0.3 mpg per day currently. I find taking it smoothly is best as the engine has plenty of torque and picks up fast anyway. Makes for an extremely relaxing yet rewarding drive, I love every minute of it and go out just for an excuse to drive it. Obviously avoid heavy braking too.

I read the AutoExpress article and and tried that method on my manual Xtrail but there's no way you can enjoy that approach, b Censored r the potential fuel saving, I'd sooner enjoy my drive.

Also, I don't know that an AUTO would like that sort of treatment! They're supposed to adapt to your driving style, but if you want to try that method I would suggest using the semi-auto command / sport shift mode. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #18055 16th Apr 2008 9:42 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've driven autos all 35 years I've been driving, here's a couple of thoughts I'd offer.

If you look at the specs you'll notice that first gear in the auto is lower than the manual, so there’s an immediate loss here every time you set off; then of course there is the constant loss through slippage in the torque converter. Given these two factors I would go for a style that encourages early upshift and reduces lost revs at the torque converter, for me that would be the gentle start.

Mrs Avtur runs an auto, she doesn't drive unduly fast but she is very heavy footed on the gas pedal when setting off, her mpgs are dreadful, strange that whenever I drive her car the mpg's improve quite noticeably in response to my 'lighter' right foot.

Post #18116 16th Apr 2008 10:43 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
random

I've been keeping tabs on the mpg in my FL2 SE Auto, now @ 9400 miles, over 9 months of ownership. Overall I'm impressed by the averages I achieve whilst still enjoying the FL2 driving experience; my best average is 34.5 mpg, my worst average is 29.5 mpg. Smile

I was surprised to find that sports mode and command shift can produce a better mpg that auto drive position. Driving when cold gives very poor mpg, and plays havoc with the average figures; I have noticed my mpg improving slightly as the weather is now more Spring like, and my best mpg was in the summer last year.

I don't like heavy right foot Twisted Evil driving, but you do just have to blast the FL2 every now and then don't you?! :
Razz Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #18117 16th Apr 2008 11:45 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Did anyone notice a different mpg if changing the gears manually in an autobox vs letting the box change the gears as it wants?
Changing the gears manually in an auto would get the same mpg as a manual box ? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19131 2nd May 2008 8:34 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Doubt it.

The auto box is a lot heavier I think which accounts for some of the mpg difference

Post #19157 2nd May 2008 3:00 pm
Simon_CSK

snappa wrote:
Doubt it.

The auto box is a lot heavier I think which accounts for some of the mpg difference

Been cause twice for speeding recently and am looking at some serious points on my licence.
Before being caught I was averaging around 23mpg since sticking rigidly to the speed limit I am now in the region of 28 because I am not so heavy on the right foot

Post #19210 3rd May 2008 1:24 pm
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

If you want good MPG from your Auto, use the Cadbury's Bunny approach to driving, "Take it Easy"
My TD4 Auto, has averaged between 33 MPG and 42.5 MPG, over its 1800 miles, it depends on the types of journey I am doing and I haven’t even used the ECON button yet. Motorway see the higher MPG figures.
Listen to your engine, and try to drive consistently. Look for all opportunities to reduce the amount of throttle you are using, but still maintain the same speed. In most cars I have had you can hear this point after a while, the engine makes a slight noise before the car accelerates, so become sensitive to this and avoid this noise. Coasting is good, in fact uses no fuel at all if you leave it in gear, so coast up to the red lights, don’t accelerate then brake. Use the terrain in combination with the throttle, i.e don’t just hold the same throttle position down a hill, gaining speed, reduce the throttle and maintain the same speed. Keep an eye on your tyre pressures, make sure they are correct and even.
The final thing to try is adopt a relaxed style to driving, The number of times I have joined a Motorway next to a car that zooms off into the outer lane, where they will spend their time rush from one queue to the next, only to meet the same car leave Motorway often miles later.
I used to be that rushing driver, saving ten minutes on my 2 hour journey time, and taking half a hour to relax when I arrive.
I am completely satisfied with my TD4 autos MPG, and the effect the FL2 is having on me and my driving.

Chris.

Post #19225 3rd May 2008 7:56 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I must say that my FL2 has definately improved my manner of driving. It is more of a cruiser and quite happily maintains 70-80mph with ease on the motorway - with that little bit extra when you need to get past one of those caravans Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter . My previous car, a BMW Coupe, had a smaller engine but always wanted to be driven hard, I cant explain why, but I was always ending up cruising on the motorway at 80-90mph without realising it - hence 3 points on my licence! Big Cry

I certainly find it easier to maintain speed limits in my FL2 so my licence and wallet are very happy with that!! Bow down Bow down Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #19228 3rd May 2008 9:19 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The two previous posts seem spot-on. I'm now getting 34+ easily, even around town. The car almost drives itself as the ratios are well spaced and you can make good progress without reaching or exceeding 2000 rpm.

My driving style is far more relaxed in the FL2 than any previous car, so tending to keep near the speed limits and enjoying the drive, playing mind games with the mpg readout, seeing how I can improve it. I'm sure it's improving my driving too.

Smoothness appears to be the key, and carrying sufficient speed onto inclines so that she doesn't have to shift down very often. With this engine's power and torque, you don't need a heavy right foot. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #19235 3rd May 2008 11:29 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Definately using auto and taking the softly softly approach improves the fuel economy. I noticed a big difference in fuel consumption when I was driving by myself in Command Shift and then when my Wife arrived over here my more grown up approach using auto and shifting earlier when using Command Shift......I always look forward to driving around by myself now Twisted Evil

Command Shift increases the rev limit (higher than sport auto) and also gives engine breaking on the downshifts all of which means you work the engine harder and use more fuel.

Post #19241 4th May 2008 9:34 am
riverr02

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Couple of tips from the folks at Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ne...save%20gas

Post #19297 5th May 2008 4:59 am
Pete S.

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

In my SE Auto I have been trying both auto and commandshift around town. To be honest I haven't noticed much difference - approx 29mpg with either. On a run I'm looking at 37mpg at the moment but only done one long distance trip. Next week I'm towing the 'van for the first time so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get doing that.

Post #19445 6th May 2008 4:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1