Home > Technical > Roof Mounted DVD Screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Roof Mounted DVD Screens

Been pondering on the in Car DVD

I was wondering what the weight of the roof mounted DVD's are?

Since the SE & HSE have fitted rear sunroofs, that don't open or tilt, whether it would be possible to attach it to the glass with suction cups that have to be pumped to get a stronger suction like the one below

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17949 14th Apr 2008 9:12 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Re: Roof Mounted DVD Screens

npinks wrote:
Been pondering on the in Car DVD

I was wondering what the weight of the roof mounted DVD's are?

Since the SE & HSE have fitted rear sunroofs, that don't open or tilt, whether it would be possible to attach it to the glass with suction cups that have to be pumped to get a stronger suction like the one below

Depends on the type.
I saw one that says 3 Kg at http://www.resunshop.com/
Others seem to vary from 1,8 Kg to 4,5 Kg. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #17980 15th Apr 2008 1:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think this might be a bit overkill as it can hold 75kg

But i could run the wires and so on up there and have them tooked away, and suck the dvd onto the roof when i need it and it can be removed when i don't.

I suppose i would have to take into account how much the glass window could support too

The ones i have that get strapped to the headrest are ok for quality, but i hate strapping them on each time Sad

Has anybody used the ones that replace the original headrests? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17984 15th Apr 2008 2:04 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Personally I wouldn't be driving around with something held to the sunroof by suction, It could fall off at anytime and either break or land on a passenger. Imagine being in a collision and having that heavy looking suction thingy hitting you in the back of the head at 50 mph!. esp on a sunroof as the heating and cooling of the glass would surely cause the cup to loose it suction grip over time.
Maybe they grip better than I imagine but still is it worth the risk? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #18000 15th Apr 2008 5:30 pm
Simon_CSK

I have the LR standard screens fitted to the headrests but did not realize when I purchased the car that all I got was the screens and headphones.
Since October I think we have used them once to try them will use them again this weekend when we go away with the caravan but I think the standard Land Rover fitment is over priced and under specced.

Post #18009 15th Apr 2008 6:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Personally I wouldn't be driving around with something held to the sunroof by suction, It could fall off at anytime and either break or land on a passenger. Imagine being in a collision and having that heavy looking suction thingy hitting you in the back of the head at 50 mph!. esp on a sunroof as the heating and cooling of the glass would surely cause the cup to loose it suction grip over time.
Maybe they grip better than I imagine but still is it worth the risk?

that did cross my mind this afternoon when i was getting the youngster out of his child seat Rolling Eyes

Going to keep with my strap on headrest ones, and look it the headrest fitted ones Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18011 15th Apr 2008 7:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Simon_CSK wrote:
I have the LR standard screens fitted to the headrests but did not realize when I purchased the car that all I got was the screens and headphones.
Since October I think we have used them once to try them will use them again this weekend when we go away with the caravan but I think the standard Land Rover fitment is over priced and under specced.

That why i started looking at other options Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18012 15th Apr 2008 7:30 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I noticed a full official headset fitting kit on ebay yesterday starting bid at £400. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #18014 15th Apr 2008 7:45 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

cheap and cheerful!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...NA:GB:1123

Im sure you can get a more premium version of the same thing.

Post back if you do! '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #18019 15th Apr 2008 8:21 pm
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Simon, when you say all you get is the sr=creens and headphones what do you mean; what more were you expecting or expecting them to do please? I've assumed that you can play and watch DVDs etc?

DT

Post #18022 15th Apr 2008 8:28 pm
Simon_CSK

DT wrote:
Simon, when you say all you get is the sr=creens and headphones what do you mean; what more were you expecting or expecting them to do please? I've assumed that you can play and watch DVDs etc?

DT

DT when I ordered the system I was asked if I wanted a playstation. I said I just wanted a DVD as I don't want my kids playing a lot of computer games. (It is bad enough with Dad Evil or Very Mad playing games without the kids following his bad example Rolling with laughter )

So having said I wanted a DVD player I would have expeceted to be able to take a DVD into my car without any other equipment needed. Landrover give you two screens a two infrared headphones and connections into the centre consol for a portable DVD player.
I will at some point hardwire in a separate player when I get time Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter .

Post #18024 15th Apr 2008 9:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1