« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > stuff and nonsense
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

Pete S. wrote:
..........is just the dogs wotsits as far as I'm concerned!...........

I thought dogs shouldn't eat wotsits Shocked

or is that chocolate Question Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17855 13th Apr 2008 6:54 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

OK, I will put 2 flame suits on just to be doubly sure.

I disagree wih CG, but I do it with no malice aforethought - whatever that means. Neutral

I find this Forum a little parochial. However, thats just really because the forum doesn't have enough mambers to drag in as many diverse comments as possible. This is mainly because the forum has a few very regular and very vocal members whose opinions seem to override the minority. I don't know the site stats but I bet the daily post count is done by a handful of members. By this very nature, it means that the voice of the forum is the voice of those few members,

We really need to extend the member base to get a wider audience and a wider view and therefore a wider voice.

Some of the serious topics get so off-topic and perhaps a little cynicism and criticism creeps in.

I come to this forum to gain information, ask questions and get proper answers (without cynisim and dismissal) and to go Off-Topic as we might do if we were to have met in the local pub and discuss stuff other than FL2's

There is only so much FL2 talk I can find interesting - it ain't my life after all - I do have another life.

I understand CG's comments about stuff and nonesense. However, I used to own a TT and the TT-Forum was my regular website. It was just a great meeting place. I can't comment now as it is a few years since I last logged on. On the TT site, it was well recogised that the TT had its flaws. On this site, it appears, from my outside view, that the FL2 is almost faultless. Lets get real - all cars have issues.

I log on to this site at least once an hour during work days - (the IT network guy reports to me so he can't comment! Razz ) and there just are not enough posts from the wider audience.

The wider audience will help drive a wider and diverse viewpoint and help keep the stuff and nonesens into the OffTopic forum.

Anyway, please don't take this post personally. Its just a comment and a viewpoint. Chris

Post #17862 13th Apr 2008 7:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Don't get me wrong I will discuss bad and good points about the fl2. There are also a lot of things I would like to change on the car. I do come on here looking for sensible 'problem solving' discussions but happily there are not too many problems so things tend to get a bit silly Laughing .

I for one would like to see:-

An option of leather steering wheel on lesser models.
More power with greater economy.. the Holy grail I know.
A better bluetooth system
standard Ipod system or a USB stick
keyless entry

I thought I would have wanted but am now happy with :-

A better quality interior, Audi is hard to follow but the fl2's is easily good enough
Xenon lights, because the headlights are higher they seem to illuminate the road as well as my A3 did with xenon.
More colour coding on the outside. At least I don't have to bend down as far to polish the car. but they should paint the mirrors though tight wads!

The Audi TT lads get into great long threads about faulty steering racks and sagging leathers seats etc. Enough to keep them distracted from the silly stuff. They also have no caravan distractions because nobody has yet designed a tow-bar for a TT Laughing

Happily something we don't get on here is snobbery, often folks will post a pic of their brand new TT only to be told it looks 'pants' with the standard size wheels on, not the £1200 option ones. Or people asking about car finance will be told that if they cant pay cash they cant afford a TT !
No need for any of that pettiness on here At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #17866 13th Apr 2008 8:35 pm
CY

Scotland 

You need a degree of 'banter' to encourage people to keep contributing to the forum. If it's dry and lifeless then there's a risk it won't attract much extra attention. It's completely ordinary on most forums, and certainly all the ones I've been on. Though I wouldn't necessarily say it's because the subject has no problems Confused

ttc546 - the forum needs "a few very regular and very vocal members" as these are the folk who see all the 'traffic' passing through freel2.com and learn what's going on - thus they are most likely to be able to help and point people in the right direction.

As has been said, it's important to answer people's questions and try and deal with the topic on hand before any off-topic chat. That's why people post in the first place. If somebody comes on and asks a question about XYZ on a Freelander 2, don't start a discussion about ABC if you don't know the answer. Don't post until somebody answers or tries to help. There's nothing wrong with 'banter' on a forum, just don't let it stand in the way of why the forum exists - to discuss the various details of the Freelander 2. It's all common sense and so far there have been no problems noted AFAIK.

It's good to see the Off Topic forum has kicked into life. That's the best way to keep general chat together and away from polluting the main forum.

Freel2.com has really started to take off - keep plugging the site and keep up the good work Thumbs Up "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #17899 14th Apr 2008 11:30 am
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Mmmm, I visit here more than a few times a day mostly to ask for help but also to give it when/if I can. And consider It is one of the less cliquey forums I frequent.

I have also been a member of the aforementioned TT forum for ages and still do check it most days (but usually just in OT section). It is a huge and very informative forum and yes there is *sometimes* a degree of snobbery (I owned a TTR150 when it first came out and was met with some ribbing although I was just 25 and the insurance preimums for anything else was silly) but the good guys out-weighed them and those folk are without doubt very enthusiastic regarding TT's.

But here's the thing some perspective is needed here. The TT has been available for 10 years now, so even though it's a niche product not only has it a huge owner base to draw from also a potentially younger if not more technologically aware owner who is more likely to use t'interweb forums. The FL2 has only been out since 11/06 AFAIK with not even 2 years under it's belt to build a owner base.

In the 8/9 months I've been here I've seen more people arrive than leave and I'm not aware of anyone leaving under bad circumstances. Users here are very knowledgable and there are some more prolific posters, which I think are needed to keep a young forum active. So even if it seems "paraochial" to TTC546 I don't think it's a reflection of the users or the content of the forum but purely due to simple numbers. I personally don't think the opinions of higher posters have over-ridden anyone elses no matter how new, and to date I have yet to see my most hated of responses to a newbie...

"search button is at the top of the page it still works use it!!" Censored

So keep it friendly keep it real and maybe we should get admin to draw up a flyer we can print off and attatch to other FL2ers so they know where we are!!

Joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #17909 14th Apr 2008 12:56 pm
chicken george

Is 'paraochial' meaning we only see good in our fl2's I'm only a simple Yorks lad and don't know much English. googling paraochial only leads me to 'parochial' which is church stuff so I run away Whistle

Edit. Now I understand 'parochial' meaning bit provincial and limited in members and opinions maybe?

ps TT 150 Rolling with laughter only jesting its better than the Astra I had when aged 25 At work
At home

Post #17910 14th Apr 2008 1:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I only log on twice aday Embarassed

once at the office and then once at home (I'm just not saying how long i login for) Whistle

Todays Top 10 Posters

npinks 1616 Embarassed
carlfraz 780 Had great knowledge on the buy back scheme
chicken george 626 Chickens!!!!
avtur 521 Knows how to make his car look small next to a jumbo jet Laughing
Tim in Scotland 499 Doesn't own one, but owns lots of knowledge Thumbs Up
UKdave104 426
Gambba 407 Lives in the UK, Amsterdam or Dubai Like to get married Twice Thumbs Up
Goldstone69 403 Not been in for a while Confused
NightFox 351 Not been for awhile too Confused
defkalion 345 Was getting his FL2 replaced......... Did it happen? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17914 14th Apr 2008 1:59 pm
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I better get more posts done!!!

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #17919 14th Apr 2008 3:21 pm
chicken george

627 post actually Whistle At work
At home

Post #17920 14th Apr 2008 4:05 pm
chicken george

no I'm wrong 628 , is this cheating? At work
At home

Post #17922 14th Apr 2008 4:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

POST WHORE Razz Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17924 14th Apr 2008 4:32 pm
chicken george

gypsy Wink At work
At home

Post #17929 14th Apr 2008 5:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thats Gypsy King to you, sir Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17930 14th Apr 2008 5:45 pm
chicken george

Here's me looking enthralled as Roy tells me all about the joys of caravans Laughing . Note crazy dog hiding under the gas sausage burner waiting for a dropped burger. And no I'm not the one in the pinny

At work
At home

Last edited by chicken george on 14th Apr 2008 11:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #17933 14th Apr 2008 6:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Ok that's Roy drinking the beer and hold the dog as one must do at every BBQ Exclamation

But why are you naked, wearing a apron and having problems getting the sausage out of a open pack Exclamation

Whats best though, is your on a caravan site Exclamation

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17934 14th Apr 2008 6:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>