Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My Freelander 2 Sport Black Edition.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
JC80

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

You do rarely see Freelanders Khan'ed up, I have never seen one, it is always sports and evoques.

I do think Kahn's products do suit Land Rovers though.

Post #212405 30th Dec 2013 11:48 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I am not convinced you will much of a significant improvement with a bigger intercooler.

Did your car start off as the 160bhp TD4? Very much doubt you hitting the 200bhp Mark with a tuning box. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #212418 31st Dec 2013 11:35 am
j77

Scotland 

Sorry not a fan of Khan design.

A waste of a good Land Rover IMO

It's your car, you enjoy it and though it's not my scene it's obvious you put a lot of love and attention into it.

Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #212430 31st Dec 2013 2:05 pm
JC80

The tuning box is race chip which took it to 199bhp from 160BHP and the boost was put up.

We did have a Freelander 2 in our workshop with a custom intercooler which you could tell the difference massively that all is I'm going off though.

I'm going on a rolling road soon so I should have some proof then.

Everyone is different, I have had people say Kahn is over prices rubbish but at the end of the day some people like it and some don't.

Post #212449 31st Dec 2013 6:09 pm
j77

Scotland 

I would say an acquired taste rather than rubbish. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #212525 1st Jan 2014 4:18 pm
JC80

Yeah, everyone to there own.

Post #212575 1st Jan 2014 10:34 pm
Mav71

The thing is with diesels is that big intercoolers do not give the same improvements as they do on petrol. But even on Petrol's you need to have a re-map done to accommodate the intercooler. The same goes for diesel.

The TD4 160 injectors are running at maximum duty cycle at around 190/195bhp so I am very sceptical about anything more than 190.

If your not having a proper re-map done, you will be asking for trouble. Tuning box's are a crude way of doing things as all they do is cheat the ECU into thinking that fuel pressure has not been reached.

Does your tuning box have the additional wiring loom to bring in the boost pressure sensor? Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #212607 2nd Jan 2014 10:22 am
JC80

I didn't do the job, but I have took of the tuning box off as today I have had a fault where it said reduced engine performance which our guys say it may be linked to the box.

I have a remap that is going to be done which is Autologic, had any experience with remapping?

I have also has someone mention a rolling road remap as well?

Post #212674 2nd Jan 2014 5:46 pm
Paul1966

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Have a word with gary at alive tuning what this bloke doesn't know about land rover tuning isn't worth knowing .

Post #212676 2nd Jan 2014 5:50 pm
Mav71

JC80 wrote:
I didn't do the job, but I have took of the tuning box off as today I have had a fault where it said reduced engine performance which our guys say it may be linked to the box.

I have a remap that is going to be done which is Autologic, had any experience with remapping?

I have also has someone mention a rolling road remap as well?

It is possible that the tuning box is causing the issue. They don't work within the safety parameters of the car. For example if the fuel pressure is increased by the tuning box beyond the limits set by the management, the will will go into safety mode. Or in your case, reduced engine performance. This is no bad thing, as the car has prevented things failing to a degree.

But it had to go into fault mode to stop any potential failures, where as a proper re-map will wind things down before the car goes into a fault mode.

There are two types of re-map. A standard re-map like what Superchips offer, read your own cars file, modify it and it is then installed back in to your own ECU. This is a good way of doing it for a standard car and Superchips offer a very good stage 1 re-map. This will be perfectly safe, and is not a "generic" map like many suggest.

The second is a live rolling road re-map where the car is mapped whilst the car is running on the rolling road. This for sure is the best, and safest way to re-map a modified car as it takes in to account all the modifications etc.

But this does cost a lot more to do. There are not many tuners that offer live mapping.

The thing going against you is your injectors and Turbo. If you fit the 2010> TD4/SD4 turbo and injectors, with your exhaust and intercooler, you could see between 215 and 220 bhp and around 340/350lb/ft torque.

When the facelift came in 2010, the TD4 150 and SD4 190 were mechanically identical, the 2wd TD4e and later eD4 had the same engine spec etc but smaller injectors.

With the hardware you have, you will be maxing everything out at around the 200 to 205bhp, so as you have invested a lot to make your car as nice as it is, I would upgrade the injectors at least to begin with, then the turbo if budget allows.

Turbo dynamics can modify your turbo to hybrid spec which will help and make a really nice and torquey car to drive. But again a proper rolling road re-map will make all the difference.

Remember, it's not BHP that counts with a diesel, it is torque! Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #212757 3rd Jan 2014 12:20 pm
JC80

Sounds good, like you know what your saying. Thumbs Up

So I Would be able to use the SD4 Turbo and injectors?

Post #212762 3rd Jan 2014 2:24 pm
JC80

Would a rolling road be the last thing to when you have has all the modifications done to it?

Post #212763 3rd Jan 2014 2:25 pm
Mav71

JC80 wrote:
Sounds good, like you know what your saying. Thumbs Up

So I Would be able to use the SD4 Turbo and injectors?

Injectors should be a direct swap. Regarding the turbo, the SD4 turbo can be used, but the most cost effective route, would be to have your own turbo modified to hybrid spec, which will give you a unit with a higher spec than a standard SD4 turbo and able to hold higher boost pressure.

I had my old Vectra turbo done by Turbo Dynamics and was in the region of about £400 to have done. But you will need a re-map to accommodate these new modifications.

Regarding the rolling road. Rolling roads are used to re-map cars and adjustments are made live while the car is running to work with the new modifications.

But put this into perspective, I used to own a Vauxhall Zafira GSi Turbo which was standard with 200bhp (petrol turbo) I added the following :-

Full turbo back exhaust system with pre cat removed
Large lower mount intercooler
200 cell sports cat
VXR injectors, turbo and air mass meter

With a standard stage 3 map, the car produced 267bhp and 256 lb/ft when checked on the rolling road. This was with a bench written map with the modifications taken in to account.

They then ran the car again on the rolling road, and re-wrote the map live to show the difference between standard re-maps and proper live mapping.

It took about 4 hours to do and the end result with the same hardware was 298bhp and 311lb/ft.

On the road, the car afterwards was just epic.

As said, it costs a lot more to do, but the results are well worth it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #212766 3rd Jan 2014 3:19 pm
JC80

Thanks for the info, I will let you know how I get on.

Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #212791 3rd Jan 2014 9:00 pm
JC80

Is there a topic on the forum for detailing because I've got a few questions about snow foam and general cleaning.

Post #212953 5th Jan 2014 12:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>