Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Are Discovery 2's any good?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Are Discovery 2's any good?

Due to my labrador and his arthritis I'm temporarily FL2 less! Sold it really easily through ebay and not too big a loss which was a relief. For my sins I have bought a BMW 325i touring. I have to say I love the straight six and I had forgotten how nice it is to throw a car around corners on B roads. I am, however, really, really missing the FL2. I can't stretch to both an estate and a FL2 so I'm looking at Discovery 2's for my Land Rover fix. I viewed one today and I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong I would still rather have a FL2 but the Discovery wasn't bad although it did feel massive!

Has anyone any experience of Discovery's? I have a good local mechanic who is very reasonable and a Land Rover nut so hopefully the potential reliability issues won't be too much of a problem. Do you easily get used to the sheer bulk of them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Post #211592 20th Dec 2013 7:53 pm
Tinytim

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The discoveries are a good vehicle, but like all land rovers they have common problems to watch out for, some seem to suffer from these whilst others don't. After getting rid of our discovery 1 we looked at d2's and it didn't really feel any different ,which wasn't a bad thing as the d1 was great and we loved it. Personally, Comparing the d2 and f2 you do notice a difference as the discovery feels like a proper 4x4 and the freelander more like a jacked up car, but the freelander feels bigger to drive being wider and having bigger pillars.
In the end the freelander won over due to being newer and wanting to get away from chasing rust and welding repairs.

Post #211597 20th Dec 2013 9:32 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Get yourself on LR4x4 and you will get the best advice!
Lots of D2s rot on the rear quarter of the chassis where it sweeps down to the rear.
LR4x4 Thumbs Up * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #211598 20th Dec 2013 9:48 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have had two and the one with air springs was a far better ride I never had much bother at all infact the last one only lives 60 yards away.

Post #211605 20th Dec 2013 10:57 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If I had your two motors the Beemer wouldn't see much use! You'll soon get used to the size and the driving position makes the beast so much better to drive than any "ordinary" car. Local mechanic should see you OK for repairs. Good luck with it! Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #211609 21st Dec 2013 12:00 am
Labradorslave

Many thanks for your advice. I have had a quick look around the other forums and there appears to be a fair number of people who absolutely love their Discovery's. Maybe the Land Rover "Recovery" jibe is a little unjustified. I agree with the comment about the FL2 being a more car like driving experience and the Discovery an out and out 4x4. I'm getting any prospective purchase inspected by the local Land Rover Independent so hopefully that will keep me out of trouble.

Post #211610 21st Dec 2013 12:07 am
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

discovery 2 is the most reliable LandRover to date, 5 seat version coil springs at the rear 7 seat version air bag suspension at the rear so watch out for someone removing the air bags on a 7 seater version and replacing with coils, also check the ACE active corner enhancement these pipe are expense to replace

for diy repairs check out

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/ 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #211625 21st Dec 2013 10:01 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As an alternative (possible heresy charge pending......) why not try an LWB Shogun/Pajero? They're lovely beasts to drive, comfy and have a great driving position. "Like a posh lorry" is how the vendor of our first (of 3) described it, and that's about right. Truck-like build quality, dead reliable, steers like an ocean liner and costs less than a Disco. Likes a drink though............ Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #211671 21st Dec 2013 5:50 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I'd stick with a TD5 D2 personally! Much better off road than a Shogun! Still got one in the family from new been ultra reliable Thumbs Up Shogun parts are nearly double the price Shocked for instance you can but a set of pads all round for a disco and for that same price you can only just manage to get the fronts for a shogun Laughing MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #211672 21st Dec 2013 6:04 pm
Paul1966

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

I've just gone from a D2 which I had for 4 years to a FL2 and I have to say I really loved my D2, 7 seater on air suspension but genuine 7 seaters on coil springs were also available.The biggest problems to look for is the rear chassis legs as they rust through,oil in the ecu red plug which causes a miss fire,leaking sunroof I had no problems with my air suspension but it's not unknown take a look at the D2boysclub you will find all the info you need on there great bunch and very friendly.

Post #211681 21st Dec 2013 6:59 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I changed to a freelander in april after running a disco 2 TD5 for 8 years.

I absolutely loved the TD5 for its character, capability, ruggedness and practicality. The drive is pretty crude by todays standards, but it always put a smile on my face. I was very sad to part with it but at 220k miles it was not reliable enough as my only everyday drive and the things that needed attention were beyond my ability and the time I had available.

I think that you have to bear in mind that they are all at least 9 years old and even with low mileage they are likely to require a lot of attention. If you think of it as an enthusiasts car.......ie if you can and also enjoy servicing and maintaining the car yourself It will be rewarding and fairly cheap to run. If on the other hand all work is to be carried out by a garage, expect regular and pretty hefty bills.

I would not be put off by air springs. Just regard the bags as routine service items which need changing every 5 years or so. There are a host of other known problems, some of which have been mentioned in previous posts, but chassis rot seems to be the biggest danger as it can be economically terminal. Look for a one that has had OTT maintenance with very frequent changes of all oils and fluids.

Good luck

Steve

Absolutely recommend the d2boysclub website which is fantastic

Post #211690 21st Dec 2013 7:27 pm
Labradorslave

Thanks so much for all your help and advice. Good to know so many people have switched to FL2's from Discovery's and still are positive about their previous stead! I am actually quite looking forwards to finding the right one now. I viewed a second one today-very shiny but no history (it said FSH in the ad-I wasn't impressed) and six owners from new. Needless to say I walked away despite the shiny paintwork. Finding a good FL2 is a lot easier than finding a good D2-age difference I guess!

Post #211713 21st Dec 2013 9:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1