« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Key in Fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ragtopmalti

Malta 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White
Key in Fob

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the key in the fob used for? Recently the fob failed to operate but I could not see where I can use the key to open the damned thing! Series 2a 88 - 1962
Series 2a 88 - 1962 Military under restoration
Series 3 109 - 1984
Freelander 2 105 - 2008

Post #210941 13th Dec 2013 7:55 pm
Austin

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I believe it's used to open the passenger door. There's a small cover on the handle which can be removed.

Post #210943 13th Dec 2013 8:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Passenger door (uk spec) is were you'll see a small knotch under the smaller section of the handle, insert key, pops off to expose a key lock, insert and unlock, can be stiff though

Probebly on your drivers door with you been overseas Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #210944 13th Dec 2013 8:16 pm
ragtopmalti

Thanks guys, its a UK import. Will have a look tomorrow Series 2a 88 - 1962
Series 3 109 - 1984
Freelander 2 105 - 2008

Post #210957 13th Dec 2013 10:40 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Heres a photo of the cap and lock Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #210959 13th Dec 2013 10:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I had cause to use this a couple of weeks ago. Locked the car in my local Tesco car park, came back ten minutes later and the car wouldn't unlock. Unlocked the car with the little key and opened the door, off goes the alarm. All the other doors were still locked. I eventually thought to put the key in its dock, and the car came back to life.
Most peculiar, I reckon there's something jamming the signal around there occasionally as I had a similar occurrence a while ago when the car wouldn't lock.

Post #210971 14th Dec 2013 12:35 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

If you've not used this lock before it's worth lubricating it as it can be very stiff. Use something other than wd40 which dries out fairly quickly. I used a dry teflon lube often used for cycle components.

Post #210981 14th Dec 2013 8:48 am
ragtopmalti

Aveling wrote:
I had cause to use this a couple of weeks ago. Locked the car in my local Tesco car park, came back ten minutes later and the car wouldn't unlock. Unlocked the car with the little key and opened the door, off goes the alarm. All the other doors were still locked. I eventually thought to put the key in its dock, and the car came back to life.
Most peculiar, I reckon there's something jamming the signal around there occasionally as I had a similar occurrence a while ago when the car wouldn't lock.

Same happened to me. I was on my way to a two mile walk home to fetch the other fob when I remembered about the key. I returned to the car and could not find where to put the key in - but then the fob started working normally and has done so ever since!! Series 2a 88 - 1962
Series 3 109 - 1984
Freelander 2 105 - 2008

Post #210987 14th Dec 2013 10:01 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I believe you can get interference in certain locations which stops the electronics working. Happened to me once with a Disco2. When removing the spare key take care. It's possible to break the plastic retaining tab (which you press in to remove the key). If you do that, the fob can drop off the key ring. MY2013 cars have a different version of the system.

Post #211053 14th Dec 2013 10:17 pm
penjags

Wales 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Sumatra Black

I know this is an old thread but today I discovered another Covid-19 symptom which affects Freelander 2s. In common with most people in lockdown I've not used the fr2 for some weeks and today found the fob was useless. I'd charged the fr2 battery a month ago so I was quite sure it was just the car firmware shut down protection had kicked in. No big deal. Took cover off passenger door handle and inserted key. Yes, I know it can be stiff but a clockwise turn and repeating 20 times did nothing! Stuffed some light oil in key slot, etc. No change. Eventually, more turns and success. Click. I'm in. Alarm as expected, fob in slot and all is OK. But is it? I retry the key access default entry. Still not working properly. After 20 plus re-tries - eventually - Bingo! My problem: I'm seriously worried this is a downhill syndrome situation and next time, maybe, I'll be locked out forever. So, how do I lubricate this lock mechanism or find another fix before it's an expensive hammer and chisel job for future access problem?

Post #393515 1st Jul 2020 8:56 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

I've not had this problem yet!
but if you need to lubricate a lock then it's best to use a Graphite lock lube,
this will help keep the lock working without attracting dust particles to gum it up.
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #393585 2nd Jul 2020 5:01 pm
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I first found out about this "hibernation" issue with my previous FL2 when I left it unused for about 2 months, the problem I had was that I'd parked it up just inches away from a building on the passenger side, I managed to climb over and get the door unlocked which set the alarm off but couldn't get in, eventually, I had to resort to dragging it out of the space with my Defender to gain access.

The point of my comment is to just say to be aware of the fact that the car does "go to sleep" after 30 days or so and you should always ensure that the manual key still works by operating it now and then and lubing it occasionally. Also, if you are going to leave it for a fair time, make sure the passenger door is accessible.

I take the point about using the graphite lock lube although I'm not so sure that it's appropriate in the case of a rarely operated and fairly well-concealed lock, I suspect the lock barrels are assembled with a light film of grease and adding powdered graphite to it could turn it into a thick paste which would hinder rather than help. I just give mine a quick squirt of WD40 and operate it a few times periodically, never had a problem yet, (other than parking in the wrong place Embarassed )

Post #393601 2nd Jul 2020 7:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1