« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting Mud Flaps to Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bionicman

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red
Fitting Mud Flaps to Freelander 2

Has anyone fitted front mud flaps to Freelander 2, if so any tips ?

Post #17426 8th Apr 2008 8:17 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

All I know is if your getting side steps/tubes fit them before the mudflaps as the flaps cover the plastic trims you need to remove to fit the steps/tubes.

look on here under accessory fitting instructions http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/ At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #17429 8th Apr 2008 8:44 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Yes. did rears as well and they were easy.
The fronts are a different story though - the instructions are complicated and some of the pictures are wrong - I think the've got the left and right hand mixed up mixed up as the pics didnt correspond to what I was seeing. A special metal support bracket (supplied) needs to be inserted behind the arch liner to support the inner end of the flap. Took me a while to work out what goes where. There is some cutting of plastic trim as well. In the end it all worked out fine but the picture only instructions are quite confusing I found. Confused

Good luck.

Jules

PS the two metal brackets are NOT mirror images and the process is different on either side - check very carefully the instructions.

Post #17442 8th Apr 2008 10:40 pm
bionicman

mud flaps

Thanks for replies, I checked the instructions & the front mud flaps looked a little fiddly so I thought I would seek advice from someone who had tackled it, the dealer wanted £70.00 for fitting front & rear.

Post #17451 9th Apr 2008 10:02 am
jimbob4755

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Re: mud flaps

bionicman wrote:
Thanks for replies, I checked the instructions & the front mud flaps looked a little fiddly so I thought I would seek advice from someone who had tackled it, the dealer wanted £70.00 for fitting front & rear.

Hi bionic man, I experienced the same dodgy fitting plans as Jules and fitted my own without too much trouble. It was a bit unnerving when it describes about drilling and cutting the trim to fit though, but a bit of forethought before starting is needed. I am so pleased i did not have to pay the Stealer £70. Now I am going to ask any other FL2 owners whether they have fitted roof bars and any pitfalls to watch for!

Good luck Thumbs Up Freelander 2 - SE
Sumatra Black - TD4 -4X4 Jack Russel in boot.

Post #17456 9th Apr 2008 11:18 am
muddywheels

England 

jimbob4755 wrote:
Now I am going to ask any other FL2 owners whether they have fitted roof bars and any pitfalls to watch for!

Good luck Thumbs Up

I fitted my roof rails and biggest problem was finding tools and sealent LR specify in instructions for front bolts - stealer no help so used silicone in end and seems ok. Apart from that not difficult to fit Thumbs Up

Post #17489 9th Apr 2008 2:48 pm
jimbob4755

muddywheels wrote:
jimbob4755 wrote:
Now I am going to ask any other FL2 owners whether they have fitted roof bars and any pitfalls to watch for!

Good luck Thumbs Up

I fitted my roof rails and biggest problem was finding tools and sealent LR specify in instructions for front bolts - stealer no help so used silicone in end and seems ok. Apart from that not difficult to fit Thumbs Up

Thanks muddywheels, i've asked my local stealer to supply and pick up next week. I think he said something in the order of £326 Is there any drilling involved? Freelander 2 - SE

Post #17492 9th Apr 2008 3:06 pm
jimbob4755

muddywheels wrote:
jimbob4755 wrote:

Good luck Thumbs Up

Thanks muddywheels, i've asked my local stealer to supply and pick up next week. I think he said something in the order of £326 Is there any drilling involved? Freelander 2 - SE

Post #17493 9th Apr 2008 3:06 pm
muddywheels

England 

jimbob4755 wrote:
Thanks muddywheels, i've asked my local stealer to supply and pick up next week. I think he said something in the order of £326 Is there any drilling involved?

I only paid £199 for roof rails - but I already had cross bars from Jag so I take it you mean everything Confused

There is a bit of drilling of plastic trim and my heart was in my mouth doing it Shocked but the feet of rails cover the holes so no sweat. Very Happy

Did the 4 holes at rear on workbench and 2 at front off steps with a bit of wood wrapped in cloth to protect roof Thumbs Up

Make sure they get right ones - they got me sunroof type and had to swap them even though I was clear on ordering Rolling Eyes

Post #17495 9th Apr 2008 3:14 pm
bionicman

Fitted mud flaps, the brackets for the front mud flaps are incorrectly marked Evil or Very Mad Left fits off side right fits near side

Post #18183 17th Apr 2008 8:55 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

How easy are these to fit to a freelander 2 i am buying some front and rears from a forum member and now i've read this thread it says you need to fit before you have side steps fitted is this still correct. Confused Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #28257 29th Sep 2008 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

if it is true

it only took 5 mins to remove my side tubes when i touched up some scrapes

so i presume the steps shouldn't take any longer Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28258 29th Sep 2008 8:57 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Thanks. Thumbs Up i will see when they arrive might be able to fix them some otherway if i have to self tappers and washers. Laughing Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #28260 29th Sep 2008 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Fit side step brackets first then mudflaps. The problem only arises when you want to remove the sill trims to fit side step/pipe brackets as the mudflaps fit over the sill covers.
(although you can get away with leaving the mudflaps on if you dont mind removing a little piece of the sill trim on a one day old car Embarassed Whistle ) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #28261 29th Sep 2008 10:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

his side steps are already fitted Smile

If you look at his picture Whistle Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28269 29th Sep 2008 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>