Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Land rover tow bar and LED brake lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LR Guy

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Land rover tow bar and LED brake lights

I have a new Freelander which has a dealer fitted detachable tow bar. With our caravan attached (Challenger Sport 585) the reverse sensors do not disengage when in reverse. Having returned the vehicle twice now, the second time for Landrover technical support to get involved they now reckon that because the caravan has a high level LED brake light the wiring is not compatible with the caravan....Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

Post #208856 25th Nov 2013 7:00 pm
Dartman the one

England 

There are CANBUS compliant LED lamps that can be fitted, whether just the side lamps need to be changed or all I don't know. Try the stop/tail lamps first, this was a known problem when caravans were first fitted with LED lamps I believe the Range Rover was one of the first vehicles where this problem was identified. Does the indicator trailer repeat work? my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #208859 25th Nov 2013 7:11 pm
LR Guy

Thank you for your quick reply, I am going back into the dealer tomorrow afternoon so will talk them about the compliant lights. All lights are currently working correctly, it is just that the reverse sensor will not disengage in reverse with the caravan attached. The lights on the caravan are all bulbs except the high level brake lights. Land rover reckon everything works with their light board attached so are blaming the caravan lights. Seems strange that everything else is ok

Post #208866 25th Nov 2013 7:24 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The law states that with resistances in parallel the total resistance is always lower than the lowest resistance, so it depends on how the detect circuitry works. just to prove the dealer theory I would disconnect the high level brake light and check again, it may be that a small resistor in series with the high level may cure the problem, providing it does not drop the voltage to the lamp below the LED operating level. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #208889 25th Nov 2013 8:20 pm
trevorb1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

LR GUY, are you connecting caravan electrics up with engine running? I had what I thought was an issue with reverse sensors and car fog lamps not being disabled when caravan connected. Tracked this down to connecting caravan with engine running, LR have changed the way a trailer connection is made, it now only checks when you switch on ignition, pre 13my it used to run a check everytime drivers door was opened, now only does it at inginition on. My caravan has conventional bulbs and led centre brake light and works ok now I understand connecting up sequence.

Post #208912 25th Nov 2013 9:13 pm
ad210358

England 

I've also heard that you shouldn't connect up with the engine running so they could be something in that. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #208913 25th Nov 2013 9:21 pm
LR Guy

The engine has always been off when connecting up and we have stopped for breaks on our journeys and the engine has been switched off, car locked etc. Landrover have suggested this but they cannot explain why it would not sort out the issue next time the car is restarted. I am waiting for one if the caravan manufacturer's electricians to call me back to see if they are aware of any issues and I am going back to the dealers this afternoon to discuss. Will update later

Post #208947 26th Nov 2013 10:56 am
LR Guy

Swift have confirmed that the high level brake lights are not in fact LEDs. Landrover are keeping the car for another 24 hours and are now checking the 13 points are cabled correctly and getting Landrover technical support to check the car. My version of the Freelander does not have the manual reverse sensor over-ride button unfortunatly (must have been an optional extra we ommitted..!!). Third day lucky tomorrow...am getting used to the Evoque courtesy car though!! Thanks for all your input.

Post #209021 26th Nov 2013 8:05 pm
ad210358

England 

Seems to be a problem with LR and Reverse Sensors, I know on the MY13 D4 and RRS, you plug the trailer electrics in and it disables all parking sensors, front and rear, it seems they have changed the electrics last year and the sensors are controlled by one module now as opposed to two. Trying to find out if they have done the same with the MY13 FL2. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #209043 26th Nov 2013 9:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1