« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > U Boat Watches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
U Boat Watches

Anybody have any dealings with UBOat watches?

Wondering what reviews were like, seen one to buy and looks a good price compared to online prices

Not too familiar with the brand, Italian but with Swiss movements

This is the one I have seen, but thinking buy or save the money as it is been bought by my late grandad as a gift to me

http://www.shadestation.co.uk/U-Boat-Watch...Bezel.html Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #206745 11th Nov 2013 5:59 pm
j77

Scotland 

Think I will stick with my £10 Casio at those prices Shocked it's served me well over the years.

But to answer your question I've never heard of them. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #206747 11th Nov 2013 6:06 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Better watches at that sort of money than an unknown "fashion" brand IMO.

Post #206748 11th Nov 2013 6:17 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Never heard of them myself but interested to see the "winder" and other buttons on the opposite side to usual. Has left me wondering why?
Nice gift to receive though from what you say maybe in sad circumstances. I'd always prefer something "tangible" rather than money as that has a habit of disappearing over time with little to show for it.

Post #206749 11th Nov 2013 6:19 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can't say I've ever heard of the brand, Not a watch person my self my phone tells me the time Whistle
Wife bought me a Rolex Explorer I last year for Christmas and I think I've worn it 3 or 4 times...

Have you thought about a Rolex pinks, they have some nice looking ones in their titanblack collection

http://www.titanblack.co.uk/collection/rolex BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #206750 11th Nov 2013 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Nick agree with Martin

Try looking at Sinn a little cheaper but have a good reputation or for the British connection you can try Breamont, most of the range is little over that price, but they don one or two in that price range

Of course you could look at the likes of Omega and Tag but they are a bit more main stream, although I do have one or two of those myself Thumbs Up

Now this is my own opinion but I personally would steer clear or Rolex, one of the most over hyped watch makes going, thier movements ate no better than any of the main Swiss Brands ! But they have been very clever with their marketing over all these years so much so they have convinced nearly all the world that Rolex are the best brand in the world, anyway it's all subjective and down to personal choice. I would add though what ever you do get, wear it as much as possible, don't hide it away, I wear mt Omega PO every day and yes it has acquired the odd mark over the seven years but it all adds character to the watch

I'm sure that I may have opened a can of worms with my Rolex statement Mr. Green

Post #206751 11th Nov 2013 6:37 pm
j77

Scotland 

That's part of the reason I don't go for expensive watches. I only ware it for work, my dad however, he has one for work, one for days off and I think another for going out.

My mum bought me one years ago and it's still in the drawer. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #206756 11th Nov 2013 7:12 pm
taztastic

England 

I have heard of U- boat but would agree with some of the other comments, more designer than top brand, Pegleg knows a thing or two about watches.

Something modern I would go for a Seiko Springdrive, just because I like it, expensive for a Seiko though.
http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/s...1j1-se-004

Something different a Meistersinger peri graph, just like the idea.
http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/m...trp-ms-087

Post #206758 11th Nov 2013 7:14 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

SakoQuad wrote:
interested to see the "winder" and other buttons on the opposite side to usual. .

Because the winder (etc) is normally on the WRONG SIDE. This is very noticable on the shirt cuff of anyone not afflicted by being right-handed. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #206765 11th Nov 2013 7:39 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

One thing I do 'get' is watches, having been a collector for over twenty years. I wear a different one everyday and they are one of my more healthy obsessions.

U-boat watches - very 'marmite'. If you like them then great - they will often get noticed on your wrist and talked about - if that's what you want. They are not bad watches but can suffer from poor resale as the market is limited for them as they are, to many, big and ugly. That said, there are many models of U-boat, some more towards mainstream than others. I don't own one because I don't like them.

Titan are not a range Rolex offer themselves. I understand they are a Rolex with an aftermarket DLC (diamond like carbon) coating with similarities to Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD). Again not something I would advise to buy unless you really like it and are going to keep it a long time.

Those who say their phone tells the time or similar are not incorrect but they don't 'get' it. Watches are many things to many people; jewellery, status symbols, celebrations, personal/lifestyle statements etc. Much the same way as a Dacia Duster will do lots that a FL2 can do but I doubt many on here would spend their money on one.

On the basis that you are going to be wearing it, I always advise people to buy a watch they like or one they 'connect' with rather than be swayed by who makes it, its cost etc. Watches bought to wear are very personal items and there is masses of choice. Obviously price has a bearing too. Have a browse of your local watch dealers or online somewhere like watchfinder to find the style you like then go looking. The best value will be found in independents or second hand where watches can often be in almost new condition but usually much cheaper - also don't be shy or negotiating discounts. To improve knowledge and understanding, there are some great watch forums available online where the communities are strong and supportive.

I believe watches are a great place to put money you don't 'need'. The right watch can make money over time, provide you with years of enjoyment and share important milestones in your life - not many other objects can do that.

Post #206770 11th Nov 2013 7:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

It is very marmite, I looked at a Omega Planet ocean but it was too large and nearly as thick as my wrist is Shocked ,

Part of me wants a watch that I would wear every day, part of me saying spending that sort of money on a watch is a little crazy and I'd worry wearing it.

But it's money I wouldn't have had, due to my grandad passing away and would like something to remember him buy, and it's important to me to pass it on to my son in years to come, to be honest I don't think the UBoat ticks them boxes

Search continues Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #206779 11th Nov 2013 8:18 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I am very much into Omega watches despite not owning any Laughing Lovely watches

Anything from Breitling take your fancy? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #206782 11th Nov 2013 8:24 pm
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Have a look at Invicta Watches

http://www.worldofwatches.com/cust/invictastore.asp
There allot cheaper very well made, I have a Venom II in all black and it always gets commented on when I am out and about. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #206784 11th Nov 2013 8:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:
I am very much into Omega watches despite not owning any Laughing Lovely watches

Anything from Breitling take your fancy?

Omega is my choice, but looking expensive for ones I like Sad

Breitling not seen one affordable I really like Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #206786 11th Nov 2013 8:30 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Nick forgot about Christopher Ward Watches, another British connection and they come in at all price points and have a good reputation

I'm looking at the Pilot Watches, which are based on IWC's (very expensive) range from WW2

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/?gclid=CO...tAod7mYASg

Last edited by toeknee on 11th Nov 2013 8:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #206787 11th Nov 2013 8:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>