Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Does all Xenon Headlight can be switched from RHD to LHD?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
keikeimok

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Barolo Black
Does all Xenon Headlight can be switched from RHD to LHD?

I was wondering if all of them could be switched as I can see people selling them in fleebay separating them into LHD and RHD.

I recall there is a 'tourist switch' beside the ballast from the handbook... Question Freelander 2 XS MY 2012, 19" rims, Barolo Black. Privacy glass, spoiler.

Post #206677 11th Nov 2013 12:21 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There is a switch on the adaptive lights, as it use this function every year. But can't comment on the normal Xenons for sure but I think there is a switch. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #206687 11th Nov 2013 9:44 am
DaveBee

United Kingdom 

There's definitely a tourist lever on the 2013's with xenon headlamps.

Post #206690 11th Nov 2013 10:12 am
keikeimok

people are charging a huge difference in between them. I just want to make sure if they are definitely switchable without gettingrripped. Confused Freelander 2 XS MY 2012, 19" rims, Barolo Black. Privacy glass, spoiler.

Post #206732 11th Nov 2013 3:53 pm
ad210358

England 

There is a difference between the LHD and RHD, yes they do have the tourist lever to save using beam diverters. Wouldn't know if you would be able to use a LHD with the tourist lever in the UK and pass a MOT though.
UK headlights have a different beam pattern to other countries, the UK beam on dip directs the light to the Near Side, the Continental Headlights on dip don't dip to the side, just down. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #206738 11th Nov 2013 5:29 pm
alex_pescaru

They both generate a flat light pattern when tourist lever is actioned.
But when the lever is in the normal position, the LHD "rises" the light to the right of the car, and RHD to the left of the car.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 11th Nov 2013 5:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #206740 11th Nov 2013 5:47 pm
taztastic

England 

I would rather have the continental type, rather see where I am going than what's in the gutter, we have some crazy ideas over here, roads with a camber that drag you into the gutter but don't worry the lights shine that way too Rolling Eyes

Post #206741 11th Nov 2013 5:49 pm
keikeimok

alex_pescaru wrote:
They both generate a flat light pattern when tourist lever is actioned.
But when the lever is in the normal position, the LHD "rises" the light to the right of the car, and RHD to the left of the car.

Thumbs Up I got it!! Freelander 2 XS MY 2012, 19" rims, Barolo Black. Privacy glass, spoiler.

Post #206742 11th Nov 2013 5:53 pm
keikeimok

ad210358 wrote:
There is a difference between the LHD and RHD, yes they do have the tourist lever to save using beam diverters. Wouldn't know if you would be able to use a LHD with the tourist lever in the UK and pass a MOT though.
UK headlights have a different beam pattern to other countries, the UK beam on dip directs the light to the Near Side, the Continental Headlights on dip don't dip to the side, just down.

Thank you! Thumbs Up Freelander 2 XS MY 2012, 19" rims, Barolo Black. Privacy glass, spoiler.

Post #206743 11th Nov 2013 5:54 pm
keikeimok

taztastic wrote:
I would rather have the continental type, rather see where I am going than what's in the gutter, we have some crazy ideas over here, roads with a camber that drag you into the gutter but don't worry the lights shine that way too Rolling Eyes

As long as MOT is concerned, I better stick to Ring Xenon bulbs for the time being, not worth just upgrading to 2012 HID module with similar costs though.

Thank you. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 XS MY 2012, 19" rims, Barolo Black. Privacy glass, spoiler.

Post #206744 11th Nov 2013 5:58 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

2013MY models don't have a'tourist' lever that I can find... the handbook refers to them but the info hasn't been updated from the previous model... it refers to a xenon/halogen dip and separate main, but they are now one unit with a moving shutter for dip/main that has a fixed RHD or LHD profile. Where the main beam used to be is the LED DRL. I think 2012MY or earlier LHD lamps in a RHD car on tourist lever wouldn't pass an MOT as they would only produce a flat cut beam. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #206816 11th Nov 2013 10:04 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

If they have no lever, what's the procedure for going abroad? (I've just acquired a MY13). Could be back to the usual trick of winding them right down and carry on...

Post #206975 12th Nov 2013 11:23 pm
DougB

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

This is my first post, just saying hello.

When travelling abroad, you do not have to do anything to the Xenon Headlights on the MY13 as they have a flat beam, and therefore do not dazzle oncoming traffic.

I had the same query last week before going across to Belgium, and I had also taken the headlamp off and looked in vain for the changeover lever. I then contacted the local LR service dept. who explained that the instruction manual is general book covering a lot of different models, and therefore sometimes a bit confusing.

Hope this helps.

Doug.

Post #207587 17th Nov 2013 7:08 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I need to have another look at them then. Very helpful first post Doug - thank you and welcome! Bow down

Post #207637 17th Nov 2013 11:41 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Ref Dougs post, not sure that I'd want to try and explain the LR dealers answer to a grumpy Gendarme in pigeon French if I was stopped without my lights adjusted at night. And apparently they do. Although the profile is flat, it is still raised on the left which could dazzle if driven abroad. I can remember making up some rhombus shaped plastic blanks to go on the older Freelander headlights. Do these still apply to newer projector style headlights? 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #208077 20th Nov 2013 9:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>