Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Another Canadian...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nza

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue
Another Canadian...

Hey peoples. Another canucker. I'm currently on the wet coast, Vancouver Island. Picked up our LR2 last August on a trade-in of our 04 Freelander. I haven't been able to drive it much, as the wife uses it for work into the rural areas. But we have taken it all up and down Vancouver Island, into the sticks...and more than impressed over the Freelander. Here's my 6 month review I posted on muddyoval back in January:

Quote:
OK, 6 month review. As you will be able to tell, I am no professional reviewer, these are just the opinons of me own, and thoughts have no order.

First of all, I do notice there is a difference when fueling up between regular and supreme. pick up is better, and there is no sluggishness. lr2 generally gets happier with supreme.

Ride, very comfortable, we feel it is light years beyond the FL. The leather seats are firm and yet cushy, with good lumbar. Not sure how it would feel for 'bigger' butts. What else about the ride, potholes, what potholes?

Driveability. I think it has enough masculinity in its drivetrain for a guy to beat the bush, and enough soccer mominess to satisfy. In the past 6 months, the vehicle has tackled mountainous logging roads of vancouver island, a foot of snow with perma ice, rain sleet, slush, MUD ruts... (all more so than the average soccer mom/dad)
with a 'little' technical know-how, we were able to traverse with no problems. I like the set-it-and-forget-it driving conditions knobby. Currently we have it on snow. Coupled with the Toyo Open Country G02+ tires, the lr2 slices through the snow and flooded roads like nobodies business. I have to give the tires alot of credit for the winter driveability though, it maintains traction even at a high rev starting line.

With all the 4x4 and traction control and other systems on it, it was very very difficult for me to lose control on purpose.

I took the lr2 on a tactical driving course to see if they would let me, and they did. it handled all sorts of manouevers, and the brakes were excellent. I did have to do something about the traction control, as it kind of hindered some of the tactics we were doing. By the end of the first day, the wheels were black with brake dust.
Ambush driving, slaloms, j-curves, braking in turns, evasive tactics...I kept up with the instructor who was manning a bimmer x5. His was armoured so it was 'slower' than normal.

Passenger seating, all who have sat in the rear, really find it comfortable and enjoyable, I don't know the difference between roof height for the fl and the lr2, but I think the moonroof or whatever its called really gives that perception that its tall.

For storage, not much else can fit in the back with a dog, and the winter survival kit in a rubbermaid. But with the roof rack, it opens up real nice.
We've had to make a few adjustments in order to make it dog friendly. mainly we mac-tacked all carpeted surfaces (can you tell we are chinese?) and I made a trunkflooring covering material cutout from canadian tire. the flooring is actually a little high so the dog blocks alot of the view, but that what side mirrors are for right? The trunk space is wide enough to fit my rifle cases across the loadspace. leather + mack tack plus rubber flooring makes vacuuming of dog hair faster. and with my little (censored s-word) on the way (thats what we are calling it for now), pukage and such should be A-OK.

those anticipatory headlights, where they swivel before you turn, are really neat and kicked the llama's ass when we were doing VIP convoy driver training through the mountains. Changing the highbeam lightbulbs (read: getting access to the headlamp unit) is simple, taking out the whole assembly is a better idea than scratching my arms or burning them trying to unplug things.

fuel mileage. I find that I can drive at 140kph, I can do 11.6 litres/100km's
thats with alot of headwinds, 1 pax + driver, and kit.

For normal day-to-day driving, I find the reverse beeping uselss for me. Having to wait for the side mirrors to swivel down also irks me. The not able to change music while in volume or some sort of sound editing mode irks me too. Bluetooth kicks the llama's ass. I find I don't use the steering wheels buttons as much as I use to on the FL.

kat enjoys the oohs and ahhs from passerbys when she parks. LR's in general are still pretty uncommon here. Dual climate...Hell Ya!
There is definatley a good mix of street and track/trail cred with this. People really can't believe the relatively moderate pricing on these things given the LR mystique, and the appointed furnishings in this truck.

the gear changing in sport mode is very very smooth and it seems to know just the right moment to shift, as compared to the fl where it seems a little hesitant.

ok done for now. gotta go to a michael buble concert then fly out to ottawa
 Armchair Commando

Post #16689 27th Mar 2008 10:45 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I'm in Ontario,

I kept my Freelander instead of trading in it.
So I currently have both the 08 LR2 (Freelander 2) and the 02 Freelander.
I never had any major problems with the Freelander, just brakes and regular maintenance.
Problems on the LR2 started on delivery, The sunroof didn't work.
Engine light came on driving it home from dealership.
Engine Light again a week later. Dealer had it back for 5 days in the first 2 weeks.

The size difference is really obvious when switching between them.
Freelander' more nimble than the LR2.

Post #17307 7th Apr 2008 4:54 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

"michael buble" Shocked At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #17311 7th Apr 2008 5:17 pm
nza

chicken george wrote:
"michael buble" Shocked

Yeah, well, Go see a local boy sing. Keep the wife happy. since I was going away for another NATO gig. Just got back. Came back to see a recall notice on the sunroof, and a request to do a survey by Transport Canada regarding the ESC. Armchair Commando

Post #21901 9th Jun 2008 5:32 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

nza wrote:
chicken george wrote:
"michael buble" Shocked

Yeah, well, Go see a local boy sing. Keep the wife happy. since I was going away for another NATO gig. Just got back. Came back to see a recall notice on the sunroof, and a request to do a survey by Transport Canada regarding the ESC.

Now a sunroof in Canada Rolling with laughter Why go to the recall you probably won't use the sunroof too much Rolling with laughter
No offence meant
Te survey abt the ESC is there something we should worry or beaware of?
Sorry what's a NATO gig? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21904 9th Jun 2008 5:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my guess is Canadian Army playing war games with NATO? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21922 9th Jun 2008 8:59 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Michael Buble is to singing like caravanning is to motoring....... Whistle

Post #21945 9th Jun 2008 11:36 pm
chicken george

snappa wrote:
Michael Buble is to singing like caravanning is to motoring....... Whistle

steady now don't wind up the vaners At work
At home

Post #21947 9th Jun 2008 11:38 pm
nza

Matei wrote:

Now a sunroof in Canada Rolling with laughter Why go to the recall you probably won't use the sunroof too much Rolling with laughter
No offence meant
Te survey abt the ESC is there something we should worry or beaware of?
Sorry what's a NATO gig?

NATO gig = NATO job. just finished a contract with them. I'm not a current serving member of the Canadian Forces though I was for a long time. I'm an independant.

Currently it is raining cats and dogs, but was told that temps reached the into the 30's this past month here.

Transport Canada conducted the survey as they are deciding whether to make ESC standard saftety equipment like ABS and TPMS. Nothing to worry about.

I enjoyed the Buble concert. He really felt sorry for the men who got dragged out to the show. Still he twitches and moves like he's had a bit too much absinthe Armchair Commando

Post #21954 10th Jun 2008 6:15 am
chicken george

nza wrote:
Still he twitches and moves like he's had a bit too much absinthe

That brings back distant memories of my stag-nite in Prague Embarassed Laughing At work
At home

Post #21958 10th Jun 2008 7:40 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I went on a stag weekend in Prague couple of years ago........
Shocked Big Cry Shocked Whistle Shocked Very Happy Shocked Twisted Evil Shocked

Post #21961 10th Jun 2008 7:58 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I missed out on a stag weekend in Prague Big Cry Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21964 10th Jun 2008 9:23 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:
steady now don't wind up the vaners

Why not...........all's fair in love & war Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #21967 10th Jun 2008 10:22 am
chicken george

Do we need an FL2 weekend in Prague? I proposed to the then future Mrs G there (on the Charles bridge) and then returned for my stag ..... lets just say the choice of bars was very different on the second trip Shocked

And yes I did get down on one knee to propose .... I am a proper gent. At work
At home

Post #37758 28th Feb 2009 1:24 am
MudBug

Ireland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"Proper Gents"- that's what's lacking on British Rail station platforms, these days.

Where have all those huge slabs of porcelain gone, long time passing, when will they ever learn... Crying or Very sad

Post #37775 28th Feb 2009 4:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>