Home > Off Topic > BT Broadband support - oh dear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
BT Broadband support - oh dear

An embarrassing tale:

The BT Broadband support is notorious for its Indian call centre who have call handlers who are programmed to follow a script and not deviate - even when you know what the problem is. I've used them many times - they insist on asking you to plug the BT hub into the master socket - Do they know how awkward that is to move all your equipment into the hallway and undo the master telephone socket so as to connect direct to the line! Evil or Very Mad when you KNOW it is a line fault!

So for the 3rd time in a year I had to call them up this week to complain of a line fault. There was no internet connection at all. It was working the other night. It is not working now. They insisted I connect to the Master Socket. I complain. I escalate to the call-handlers manager. I rant down the phone - PLEASE CHECK THE LINE! Eventualy they check the line and cannot see a fault. I reluctantly plug all the equipment to the master socket and guess what - It Works! Neutral

Then my dear beloved wife says - "it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that she had cut the extension socket off the wall in a bedroom and plastered up the hole - as we didn't use that extension socket anymore? " Errrrrmmmm ... Yes, it could be .... AAAAAGGGGHHHHH

We crack open the fresh plaster and see 2 cut cables. Using my Readers Digest book "How To Do Just About Anything" as a reference, I connect the 2 cables back together (after a trip to the local hardware store for the right tools). Still no joy with the connection and all telephone sockets except the master do not work.

After much frustration, I washed my hands of the whole thingg - stormed off to work - and got my wife to get a telephone engineer round. After 2 hours of scratching his head- he discovers a 3rd wire as part of the 2 that had been cut by my dear wife half way up inside the cavity. He has to go round to my neighbours, put up a ladder to the side of the house and feed cable through in order to retrieve the 3rd cut cable. He re-connects everything and now all is working.

I am £80 lighter, frustrated with the time wasted and now my wife owes me BIG TIME! Razz

Moral of the story -
Don't let your wife cut the telphone cables and re-plaster in order to make the house look nicer! Chris

Post #16647 27th Mar 2008 4:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

your wifes a plasterer Shocked

I suppose that the modern world for you Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #16648 27th Mar 2008 4:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

When I last had to ring BT Broadband help was when i first joined them

I was supposed to be on upto 8MB connection, but was only connectting at 0.5mb

I rang them up and he didn't even know the products

I had to explain that they should put me on the fastest possible speed in my case 3mb.

He was trying to change my package to a higher level, even though i am on the highest level Shocked

I eventually complained so much I had a nice english lady phone me from the west midlands and got it all sorted, though there was still the language barrier Laughing

don't even get me going on the BT Business side........... Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #16650 27th Mar 2008 5:03 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Oh no Shocked we've just changed to BT broadband, apart from a few glitches with it setting it's speed all appears to be working ok.............except first thing in the morning Rolling Eyes

...........lets hope I don't need to call their help line..........might just do something I regret Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #16651 27th Mar 2008 7:03 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I guess I spoke too soon with my last post Rolling Eyes

Have now had to call BT twice in the last week only to be put through to the Indian calll centre where you try explaining to them that we have just moved from tesco 1/2 meg broadband where we had no problems, to BT 2 meg broadband (for the same price) where the average download speed is less than 1Kb Rolling Eyes

Will be making an official complaint in writing to BT not that I expect it to do anything except annoy me even more and raise my blood pressure even further Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

A warning to anyone out there who is thinking of moving to BT broadband.............DON'T their support service is totally crap and not even second class, infact, there isn't a class for it. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #17842 13th Apr 2008 5:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Insist in speaking to a UK based person who knows the product

I do and i find them more helpfull Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17856 13th Apr 2008 6:57 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

UKdave104 wrote:
A warning to anyone out there who is thinking of moving to BT broadband.............DON'T their support service is totally crap and not even second class, infact, there isn't a class for it.

I'm with BT and can identify with all the problems already mentioned, but I'm not sure that any other service provider has anything better to offer, particularly in terms of customer service, they are all a load of toss pots when it goes wrong. (Don't stat me on Orange!!!)

We had some major hassles when first set up, but touch wood, it working OK now. I got the home hub, which they now seem to give away on all the deals. I like the 'virtual' second line, quality is OK (not perfect but OK) I use the all calls inclusive plan for £4.95 and international calls for 1.25p a minute, we speak to USA every 4-5 days, all seems to work fine. There are also a couple of useful benefits in the package, don't know if anyone is using them; I get 250 Openzone minutes per month for surfing on the move and, I can access the second phone line from my laptop using a program called Softphone, this is very handy because it means I can make even more use of the 24-7 inclusive calls on the virtual line. There's even an allowance of 100 text messages per month on the virual line too.

Believe me I think BT customer service truely stinks, they are premier league in crap customer service, but when it works I'm happy that the collection of services available is actually OK, I've even got BT Vision, which works surprisingly well.

Post #17857 13th Apr 2008 7:26 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Moved to BT Broadband in January following Orange Broadband's failure to identify and fix a fault on my line.

When BT took over the connection it wasn't working. One call to BT Customer Support in India identified there was a line fault and that it needed an engineer to call to do the repair. Something Orange had failed to do in 30 days. An engineers appointment was made for 24 hours later - it would have been sooner but I wasn't available. The engineer came, identified the fault, changed my Master Socket, gave me some additional wire and left in 30 minutes - job done.

Next day BT phoned from India to check all was now working and to give me the direct dial number of line faults in case I had a further problem.

So not all BT Customer Support is bad and in my opinion it leaves Orange Customer Support well out in front in the useless league - just check out the 7800 Orange Customers who subscribe to Orangeproblems.co.uk to see how good their customer service isn't.

Post #17969 15th Apr 2008 11:19 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

rchrdleigh wrote:
Moved to BT Broadband in January following Orange Broadband's failure to identify and fix a fault on my line.

When BT took over the connection it wasn't working. One call to BT Customer Support in India identified there was a line fault and that it needed an engineer to call to do the repair. Something Orange had failed to do in 30 days. An engineers appointment was made for 24 hours later - it would have been sooner but I wasn't available. The engineer came, identified the fault, changed my Master Socket, gave me some additional wire and left in 30 minutes - job done.

Next day BT phoned from India to check all was now working and to give me the direct dial number of line faults in case I had a further problem.

So not all BT Customer Support is bad and in my opinion it leaves Orange Customer Support well out in front in the useless league - just check out the 7800 Orange Customers who subscribe to Orangeproblems.co.uk to see how good their customer service isn't.

Lets hope Tata will be just as efficient Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #17977 15th Apr 2008 1:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1