« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 RELIABILITY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
FL2 RELIABILITY

my first LR2 will be arriving in just over a weeks time but am a little concerned with the number of posts regarding faults, im sure the LR2 is a reliable vehicle but it seems that owners are more likely to post problems and faults etc rather than praise their vehicles. Big Cry

Please reassure me that the LR2 is an exceptional 4x4 and that the faults and problems are very few and far between, i'm crossing the days off my calender until the Rimini Red HSE arrives. Very Happy

My current BMW wouldnt start after just 1 week of having it from new and it spent a week at the dealership being fixed - I hope the British are not copying the Germans!

Post #16613 26th Mar 2008 11:23 pm
m1964

United States 
Re: FL2 RELIABILITY

shilen wrote:
my first LR2 will be arriving in just over a weeks time but am a little concerned with the number of posts regarding faults, im sure the LR2 is a reliable vehicle but it seems that owners are more likely to post problems and faults etc rather than praise their vehicles. Big Cry

Please reassure me that the LR2 is an exceptional 4x4 and that the faults and problems are very few and far between, i'm crossing the days off my calender until the Rimini Red HSE arrives. Very Happy

My current BMW wouldnt start after just 1 week of having it from new and it spent a week at the dealership being fixed - I hope the British are not copying the Germans!

I bought LR2 on April 30, 2007, since then I had very little (if any) troubles:

1.very rarely radio would not sound-software reload fixed that, but it still happend one or twice since that -again, happens very rarely.

2. small rattles from the door panels and /or headliner

3. only ONCE it did not start from the first push of the START Button, started fine w/ second push.

I think that's it. Had two trips to the dealer in alsmost one year-one for the above radio problem, another for scheduled maintenace.

On June 30, 2005 we bought Volvo XC90 (3rd year in production then), with which I had multiple problems (window not lifting properly, climate control not working properly, etc.) -a lot less reliable then 1st year model LR2.

Just drive and enjoy it!

Post #16614 26th Mar 2008 11:45 pm
Adrian

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

Hi Shilen, had our fl2 now six months without the slightist hitch (touch wood), wish i could say the same for some of my other cars, especialy the so called bullet proof VW brand which must have the most useless after sales possible, they listen less than the speaking clock! Had a face lift fl1 that only evey needed a new battery. Lets hope TATA dont ship production out to India; on second thoughts most of them seem to be here already.
We soon wont have anything BRITISH left to buy. Hope you enjoy your fl2 as much as we do. ps go for the auto its great and makes the car fantastic to drive.
Best regards
Adrian.

Post #16615 26th Mar 2008 11:52 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

shilen wrote:

Rest assured! Very Happy

The FL2 is a fantastic SUV to drive. It just laughs at snow & ice, and really gets ahead.

Now that we have all learned to set the alarm on when we lock & leave the car, there shouldn't be any problems.

I love my FL2 in spite I have allready had it twice on servicie for warranty repair, and is going a third time on friday just to check the car after I had to jump-start it due to flat battery. (which maybe wouldn't have happened if I just knew in advance that I should set the alarm on when parking the car)

You can look forward with joy & anticipation & praise & Very Happy to receive your car. Thumbs Up 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #16616 27th Mar 2008 12:09 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

If you read through the variety of threads, there's lots of praise on here too. It's just that you (general you) tend to read the problems and issues and these stick in the mind as they are out of the ordinary. Its the same with other manufacturers, if you check through their forums its just the same, there had been niggles and issues with them and a few major ones. Phil

Post #16629 27th Mar 2008 11:54 am
Simon_CSK

phil_wkl wrote:
If you read through the variety of threads, there's lots of praise on here too. It's just that you (general you) tend to read the problems and issues and these stick in the mind as they are out of the ordinary. Its the same with other manufacturers, if you check through their forums its just the same, there had been niggles and issues with them and a few major ones.

Shilen
Have had my FL2 for 6 months off and on Rolling with laughter Whilst my car is not what I would call reliable Rolling with laughter I feel that I have a rouge one. The problems that have occuered once the misfire was fixed have been very minor, my integrated phone hot connecting the facia vent not opening and the seat not adjusting to the rear most position. Would I change it? Well yes, I made one mistake I opted for a Rimmini Red one with Black leather and not my usual colour Black with alpaca. Red looks striking but I should have stayed with black my FL1 was black. I had only one major issue in 55000 miles over 2.5 years and that was 2 weeks after placing an order for an FL2, my rear diff blew which I beleive is a common problem around that mileage.

Post #17207 6th Apr 2008 10:35 am
GSauto07

United Kingdom 
Reliability

Things have to be put into perspective. I hired a car in Spain last week, and it broke down. I can't tell you how glad I was to be able to drive my Freelander 2 back home from the airport. You should try some of those so-called 'bread and butter' cars to find out how bad they really are, and enjoy the Freelander 2 experience.

Post #17209 6th Apr 2008 11:20 am
freebo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I submitted a very similar post about 6 months ago just before buying mine. I've now done 4400 miles with (touch wood) no problems at all, I love my HSE auto but wish it wasn't quite as thirsty (getting about 28mpg, this is on 3 (EDIT, that should be 30, not 3!) mile runs to/from work mostly). Not being used to a Diesel it does seem LOUD at tickover.

I came from a BMW 330CI Sport and before that a 328SE, I really like the Freelander, so much more relaxing to drive Cool

Hope you enjoy yours too,

Mike

Last edited by freebo on 7th Apr 2008 1:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #17212 6th Apr 2008 2:22 pm
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

My experiance from my lasts few new cars (all German) have been so bad that they have changed my point of view on new cars.

I now think the days have gone where you buying a new car for trouble free motoring, You now buy a new car because it has a cast iron warranty.

Chris.

Post #17219 6th Apr 2008 4:34 pm
Simon_CSK

ChrisC wrote:
My experiance from my lasts few new cars (all German) have been so bad that they have changed my point of view on new cars.

I now think the days have gone where you buying a new car for trouble free motoring, You now buy a new car because it has a cast iron warranty.

Chris.

I only buy new cars for the warranty and to ensure I have a good car when mine breaks down because I have my own business which over rides all factors. Before I started working for myself I ran 10+ year old Range Rovers 1 of which I still have and must get back on the road.

Land Rover give an excellent warranty and you will get a free courtesy car when Land Rover Assist takes your away. My 6 month old HSE has ensured that I am on very good terms with my Bow down local Enterprise car hire and now they know me personally and always try and get me into a Landrover. Rolling with laughter

Post #17223 6th Apr 2008 5:09 pm
chris@scears.com

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I bought LR2 on April 29, 2007, since then I had very little troubles:

1: Oil leak engine/gear or oil pan, had it for repair, just to hear that the hopless dealer had ordered the wrong kit... (Bilforum Stavanger) must return end of April Censored

2: Moonroof recall to change som clips, done.

3: Starting problems a few times, but only if in a hurry and tapping the start nob too fast...

Love my Freelander 2, and cant think of a better ride in the smaller 4x4 car range. I have tried the X3, Outlander and CRV, without being impressed, having drived the FL2 first!
Might testdrive the new Volvo XC50 when it comes next year. Rolling Eyes

Post #17226 6th Apr 2008 5:26 pm
Simon_CSK

chris@scears.com wrote:
I bought LR2 on April 29, 2007, since then I had very little troubles:

1: Oil leak engine/gear or oil pan, had it for repair, just to hear that the hopless dealer had ordered the wrong kit... (Bilforum Stavanger) must return end of April Censored

2: Moonroof recall to change som clips, done.

3: Starting problems a few times, but only if in a hurry and tapping the start nob too fast...

Love my Freelander 2, and cant think of a better ride in the smaller 4x4 car range. I have tried the X3, Outlander and CRV, without being impressed, having drived the FL2 first!
Might testdrive the new Volvo XC50 when it comes next year. Rolling Eyes

Chris
Would agree love my Freelander 2, had the old model HSE TD4 Auto for 2.5 years and when it was in for a minor problem I got an HSE manual FL2 as a courtesy car. Within 6 hours I was phoning the dealers for a quote and within 5 days had placed an order.
Unfortunately the dealer screwed up the order and I had to wait 3 months and then I had all the problems but the only thing I would replace it with is a Disco 3 but having being caught speeding Whistle Big Cry in a courtesy one recently I think I will give that a miss for a while

Post #17227 6th Apr 2008 6:00 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

shilen wrote:

As you've summised - most people come onto forums looking for answers to problems - hence if you went by the forums nobody would buy anything.

We've had ours for 3 months now. Ex demo 1 year old. It's been back for a software update to stop the computer complaining about something thats fine, and the current problem is a fuel gauge that gets a bit dicky when we're down to 1 gallon or so. Not exactly issues that would leave us at the side of the road. She starts first bash of the button, goes well, drives brilliantly, everything works and nothing has dropped off. Ok not Toyota perfect but then this car has a character.

As a fellow German car person I have a 2005 E class. Again, very happy with it but I've had more problems with that than the fl - Several bits have ben replaced over the last 2 years. Again, nothing serious but I lost the ESP a few months ago (new wheel angle sensor) and my cd player died on the way in this morning (back to the dealer we go..) so nothing worth having is entirely trouble free it seems. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #17449 9th Apr 2008 8:19 am
PARKONGRASS-OFFROADING?

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Had my FL2 a year and no problems at all. Just ordered my 08 plate for Jun, have no worries as to its reliability.
Your'e right though - you only hear the gripes - if theres no problems people generally dont say. '07 FL2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
No more extras - who needs them when its fully loaded?!

Post #17787 12th Apr 2008 6:39 pm
Saskboy

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Have now got 11500 km on our I6 and survived a Saskatchewan winter nicely. Only issue to date have been rear top brake light leak when pressure washing and the sun roof recall.
Love the car so far.

Post #17813 13th Apr 2008 2:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>