« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Aftermarket towbar question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ImmortalFL2

2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Barolo Black
Aftermarket towbar question

I had a non genuine towbar fitted to the car years ago after I purchased it.

I didnt know a thing about the car when I purchased it (even less than I do now) but I remember the guy saying something about he had to purchase some piggyback unit for the ecu when they fitted it.

Anyway when I plug in the trailer connection theres no light on the dash that ive read probably should come up and the reverse sensors arent disabled. Its not really a big issue to me but is there any sort of simple fix or would I need to buy a new genuine unit for it all to work properly, and is there any risk towing without the car "knowing" theres a trailer on it.

Ive done plenty of towing with it so far and apart from the fuel pressure issue im trying to sort with the car currently I havn't had an issue and its a great little car, but its something ive wondered for awhile.

Post #203006 14th Oct 2013 12:06 pm
EYorkshire

Your 'towbar' is fine, it's just that you do not have a 'dedicated loom' that is compatible with the canbus wiring of the FL2.
Besides missing the 'bits' you mentioned, it will still tow with no problems and although you won't have the re-map of the auto that attempts to keep on torque when towing, it will do perfectly well.

So just change the loom out if you really want the small extras that comes with it but personally I wouldn't bother now.

Post #203008 14th Oct 2013 12:18 pm
ImmortalFL2

2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Barolo Black

Thanks for that info. It seems to do a good job holding the revs a little longer with the trailer when needed anyway was just curious if it was supposed to change anything else management wise.

Only time Censored's me is backing the jetski onto a ramp for a few seconds till I can get it into neutral and roll rest of the way Laughing clearly not a big issue though

Post #203010 14th Oct 2013 12:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1