Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > seat foam upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
•Al2

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Brilliant, thanks for the info DigDil, I’ve found some new base trim and now on the hunt for the foam on the cheap!

Post #374582 4th Jul 2019 2:31 pm
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I picked up a good used passengers seat and striped it for parts. I used the base cloth and the foam and the back foam. I had to modify it to fit the airbag and used some extra foam to make it good. Its like a new seat very please with the results

Post #374583 4th Jul 2019 2:57 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A new seat base foam from JLR will now set you back £142.85 Shocked Blatant profiteering! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #391641 26th May 2020 2:29 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^^^Well, it's good enough for the Royal tushes!!! Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

But yeah, that's expensive.

Post #391643 26th May 2020 3:13 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

....and good enough for mine too! I replaced both the seat foam and the leather cover this weekend. The “pleather” side panel has been split for some time. Lockdown was a good opportunity to change it. I bought a matching new leather seat cover off eBay in 2017. Only cost £31 plus carriage. Have stored it in the loft since. My MY2010 HSE has now done nearly 96,000 miles, so due some TLC. The seat base was held by 4 10mm bolts. One electrical plug (The green one) for seat heater. So removal was easy. Cover removed by unclipping the rear lip, then releasing the special clips. Then release the wire clips (10) holding the cover to the foam. I used long nose pliers. Ditch the clips and use cable ties for refitting. Remove the cover, remove the foam them carefully peel off the seat heater element for fitting to the new foam base.
Stick element to new foam. I used a mix of Copydex and some Gripperods carpet tape. Thread the new cable ties (use 5” length or more) to all 10 positions. Fit seat cover starting with centre seat cross-crease then finish with the eight side crease positions. Tighten down cable ties and cut off surplus. Turn seat over. Pull seat front & sides tight so as to “encourage “ the skirt in to position. To fasten the clips start at front edge, pull the skirt up and over the edge, turning the edge strip so the clips are on the inside. Offer the clip leading edge into the slot, compress the foam and engage the rear edge so the the foam tension locks it in position. Secure the front edge then continue evenly down both sides. Finally fit the rear lip. I used a joiner screwdriver to lever it over the seat base lip. Refitting of the seat base is a reverse of removal.
The seat now feels like new! (and so it should! £££) Higher, firmer and with positive edges. Should be good for my future needs and more. 👍 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #391803 30th May 2020 6:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12