Home > General > FL2 vs. VW Tiguan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gorjant

Macedonia 
FL2 vs. VW Tiguan

Hi,

Has anyone considered/test driven the VW Tiguan and compared it against the FL2?

Here is a guy that chose the Tiguan...:

http://www.mytiguan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&...eb87caca65

here it is much cheaper than the FL2 .. especially if you choose some weaker engine

Post #15859 15th Mar 2008 3:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I do like VW's but the Tiguan looks a bit bland to me , maybe when I see one in the flesh I may change my opinion. But here really one is one proper 4*4 and ive already got one (in the best colour too!)

Post #15861 15th Mar 2008 4:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I've not seen one close up and it was dark when i saw one on the road

Might call into the VW dealers to have a nosey Smile to see what the competitions doing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #15862 15th Mar 2008 4:42 pm
scribble

I had one for a test drive during the week, thinking of it as an alternative to the FL2. I was completely unmoved by the car. Can't point to anything I didn't particularly like, but equally can't point to anything that I really impressed me.

Interior was very bland, and the exterior even more so. The manual gear box was quite notchy although the engine was responsive (i was in the diesel). Autohold was a useful feature. Autopark was quite nifty at the 3rd attempt to get it to work!

Virtually everything is an optional extra so the price quickly adds up. I had hoped that if I liked it enough I would have specced it up to an HSE equivalent and had about £4k to spair. I would rather pay the extra and get the FL2HSE. In fact I will be when I order one on Monday!

Cheers.

Post #15865 15th Mar 2008 4:48 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

You must be aware that Tiguan is one size down, compared to FL2. Tiguans should be compared to Toyota RAV-4, and similar cars. So naturally Tiguan is cheaper. It is smaller.

So far the only other car in FL2's class, is the X3 (and FL2 is much better).

In a year or so there will be 3 more members in this class: Q5, GLK and XC60.

So comparing Tiguan (which I am sure is a fine vehicle in its class) to FL2 is kind of like comparing Disco to FL2

.....-or something like that. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #15867 15th Mar 2008 5:09 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

VIKING wrote:

So far the only other car in FL2's class, is the X3 (and FL2 is much better).

In a year or so there will be 3 more members in this class: Q5, GLK and XC60.

But remember the new X3 is not that far away, and when it comes out It will be time to change my drive Wink At the moment nothing compairs or can compete with out choice Very Happy Very Happy 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #15868 15th Mar 2008 5:29 pm
AlexG

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Hi there,

New forum member here - Very recently I took a Tiguan out for a test. I like the fact that the back seat can slide back and forth to extend the leg room. I also really like the panoramic sunroof which shows a massive bit of sky, and I really loved the very clever automatic aid for parallel parking - all you have to do is stick it in reverse and cover the break pedal.

However, I was seriously unexcited by the driving experience. I found it solid, but increadibly dull, and slightly underpowered and noisy on the motorway. I also felt like I was sitting slightly too close to the salesman in the passanger seat beside me.

Since the test drive I had a second go in a Freelander and loved it soooo much I placed an order for a black HSE TD4. Can't wait for it to arrive. The Freelander feels bigger, safer, more sure-footed, more "premium", and most of all - more fun. And I'm only talking about how it behaves on the road. Not yet tried anything off-road, but am interested in booking half a day at an Experience Centre.

Post #15871 15th Mar 2008 5:42 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

Whatcar did a group test and included the Tiguan, FL2, CRV and Rav4, because in terms of cost, the GS spec is very similar to the others. Naturally, the FL2 was first place and winning the best compact 4x4 class.

I did spec up a Tiguan (2.0 TDI Sport) to the level I wanted (and as close to HSE spec) and it came to £29k, close enough to a FL2 HSE with discount.

Anyway, we are kinda biased on this site! Very Happy Phil

Post #15873 15th Mar 2008 5:58 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

AlexG wrote:
Hi there,

The Freelander feels bigger, safer, more sure-footed, more "premium", and most of all - more fun.

It is! As simple as that! 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #15893 15th Mar 2008 10:36 pm
muddywheels

England 

Got a mate fighting legal battle with VW - zero customer service and loads of customers on VW forum telling him similar stories.

VW aint what they used to be - I would rather take my chances with LR Thumbs Up

Post #15901 16th Mar 2008 12:07 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

My sister in laws got a VW golf, and after having loads of parts replaced under warranty, the vibration between 50-60mph keeps returning.

Now VW are saying it is a characteristic of the car Shocked

They keep fobbing her off now, and she can not get across to them that the car didn't do this when she first got, which it would have if it was a characteristic and had been "designed" that was

She is now waiting to pick up her new Volvo C30 R-Design

edited to correct mpg to mph Embarassed  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Last edited by npinks on 16th Mar 2008 11:11 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #15909 16th Mar 2008 10:38 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
the vibration between 50-60mpg keeps returning.

spooky, but I see fuel economy remains good Laughing

Post #15912 16th Mar 2008 10:59 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
She is now waiting to pick up her new Volvo C30 R-Design

She needs to join the C30world forums then................................ they aren't without their problems as well! And now VW have launched the new Scirroco C30 look-a-like there will be big competition for Volvo as the Scirocco will be a lot cheaper to buy............... How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #15918 16th Mar 2008 12:20 pm
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Tiguan v FL2

I considered a Tiguan an X3 and a FL2. My local VW dealer wouldn't let me go out in the Tiguan as it was officially launched on Feb 1 and this was Jan 30th. Had a look around it and sat inside though and from that didn't want to take it out a couple of days later. Just like being in a golf, which is fine if you think a golf is the most exciting car. I don't and found it pretty unispiring and also it felt cramped. The FL2 feels much more spacious inside. The X3 drives brilliantly, but what an ugly car. I was changing from another BMW so fancied a change after 5 yrs. Drove the FL2 last, and it took about 2 miles to realise I was going to buy one. Now proud owner for 5 days. Hope the poor fuel economy improves soon though. 200 miles and have just scraped past 30mpg. Confused 08 Santorini Black HSE manual with DAB and privacy glass

Post #15924 16th Mar 2008 2:57 pm
engineer59

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I was also interested in the Tiguan,looked good on paper and the website,but VW didnt want us Brits to have a
look until offical launch date.

I am a long term Freelander driver,on my 4th one [FL1] and soon 5th one [FL2 HSE Smile],but I thought a change might have been on the cards,but as VW couldnt be bothered to support their dealers and my local LR dealer had a reasonable deal on the go,I signed on the dotted line ,and 2 days after VW dealer rang me to tell me test drives now allowed.. sorry...sale lost to you matey...

and the other comments about costs/options are right, add this&that,soons adds up to Freelander prices.

Post #15925 16th Mar 2008 3:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1