Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Which Tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FL2go

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White
Which Tyres?

Hi everyone,

I've beeb reading the forum for some time now and decided that it was about time I joined up.

My 2007 FL2 TD4 has done 35,000kms and the original Wranglers are just about due to be replaced. The question is, with what?

I've read the threads posted previously and they go back a bit, so I thought I might seek some more current advice. Most of my driving is on the highway, but I also venture off road onto fairly rough gravel tracks (chasing waterfalls in the Blue Mountains etc.), so I need tyres that will stand up to all the fist sized sharp rocks that these tracks are strewn with. Low tyre noise on the highway is also a consideration. I don't drive in mud or on sand or in snow (been there, done that in a Disco), just loose gravel. Tyre size is 235/65/R17. Price is a consideration, but longevity is too.

Any advice on possible tyre choice would be appreciated. Also I'd like to hear of your experiences with different tyres suitable for Australian Bush conditions.

Looking forward to your replies.

Post #145147 8th Jun 2012 6:40 am
Dropbear

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi FL2go and welcome to Freel2.com
My vehicle usage is very similar to yours, I drive 90% on sealed roads so comfort and low noise is a mandatory requirement however for the occasions that I do the odd gravel road or bush track I wanted a tyre that allowed my Freelander to take advantage of it’s very capable off road abilities. After my original Goodyear Wranglers became noisy as a result of poor wheel alignment at around 35k I replaced them with MICHELIN Latitude Tour HP (235/65/17). Very impress on road and I have challenged one descent that had the wife wetting her pants, with hill descent switched on it was a breeze. I am sure there are better tyres for off road work but for my requirements I am happy to recommend the Michelin. My Freelander has now travelled 52k all trouble free apart from a few squeaks and rattles and the michelins still look new.

http://www.michelin.com.au/Home/Products-S...tudeTourHP

Post #145173 8th Jun 2012 11:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

My Geolander A/T-S are still legal with 85k on them. The original Wranglers lasted 50k. The Geolanders are excellent on and off road, not noisy at all. Do not get Geolander HT they are rubbish off road.

Post #145188 8th Jun 2012 3:23 pm
FL2go

Many thanks for your replies, Guys. The Geolander AT/-S is one tyre I've been thinking about and good to hear you're getting good wear out of them, mikehzz.

Michelin Lattitude is one I haven't come across before, but thanks Dropbear, I'll look into them too.

Cheers.

Post #145227 8th Jun 2012 11:14 pm
FL2go

Well Guys, I've just purchased a set of Cooper A/T3 which the sales guy assured me were better value and newer technology than the Geolanders. Let's hope he's right! They certainly do have a deeper tread and the tread width extends a bit further out over the tyre (or Tire). I've only done a few Kms on them, but they do seem a lot quieter than the previous Wranglers. Time will tell how good they turn out. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers 2007 FL2 TD4 SE Auto, Alaska White with Black Leather, Cooper A/T3 tyres.

Post #146408 22nd Jun 2012 4:09 am
FL2go

Well Guys, I've just purchased a set of Cooper A/T3 which the sales guy assured me were better value and newer technology than the Geolanders. Let's hope he's right! They certainly do have a deeper tread and the tread width extends a bit further out over the tyre (or Tire). I've only done a few Kms on them, but they do seem a lot quieter than the previous Wranglers. Time will tell how good they turn out. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers 2007 FL2 TD4 SE Auto, Alaska White with Black Leather, Cooper A/T3 tyres.

Post #146409 22nd Jun 2012 4:09 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Too late to be of assistance to FL2, but like Dropbear I changed from the OE Wranglers to the Michelin Latitude Tour HP units and have been equally happy; much quieter on the highway and certainly fully up to my level of off roading. Funnily enough, they also have done just over the 52k mark, and the supplier reckons they've got at least 20k left in them.

Post #146570 23rd Jun 2012 11:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1