« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Syria
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Syria

It's like Groundhog Day all this shenanigans! Some argue we can't stand by and do nothing whilst others say let them get on with it.

I must throw this in though: Would the USA and co dare oppose Russia? They are standing by Syria. Will this be a case of Russia shouts jump and everyone else asks how high?

Or if it kicks off will Russia simply not give a monkeys toss? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #196598 27th Aug 2013 6:32 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I think if the West got involved then Iran would pile in. Russia has a vested interest as they (I believe) supply a lot of hardware to Iran and Syria. From what I hear on the radio Syria has a decent armed forces so I think there would be a lot of casualties too.

I don't think the UK should get involved as I believe it will turn out like Iraq. There are already newspaper reports coming out about USA and chemical weapons in the middle east. Also, if it kicks off the price of oil is bound to shoot up and have we got the soldiers and equipment that would be needed since the cut backs? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #196601 27th Aug 2013 6:39 pm
papa smurf

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Three words ,CAN OF WORMS:

The world is very unstable ,we have a Government on one breath calling the armed forces hero's then in the next breath making very deep cuts in the defence budget to off set Iraq and the Afgan wars which has done nothing for piece with in the regions .. It has created a lot of of young men that will never be the same .. i.e missing limbs ,mental health issue's and lets not forget single parent families. Were is the government long term support plans for them? Whistle O yer were let the great charities like Help for Hero's ,British Legion and many more.
take the brunt off it.

The government want to play on the world arena as if we are a super power, were not the world masters that we once were, we go along to gun fights most of the time with a knife.Don't forget the rules of engagements and geneva convention ,I think some one has forgotten to read that,I do believe there is a ban on using it..

1 question to every one why are we getting involved ..? we din't do it when Iran and Iraq did it during there war .why because it suited us..

2. question the government want the TA (weekend warrior) to join in the fighting a lot more ,how would you fill if you employ some one in your company spend vast amount of money training them to let them go off to fight for 6 months,and maybe not come back?

this is my view,I am open for feed back:

------------------------------
ex Royal Marine Iain

Post #196608 27th Aug 2013 7:09 pm
EYorkshire

If I have read the news correctly the only certainty is that chemical weapons have been used, but so far no proof which side used them. This government is making assumptions again and we need to be 100% sure of our facts before going in guns blazing, if we can afford the ammo to go in them.
It would not surprise me if a third party had a hand in this to bring about the downfall of the Syrian government. This country needs to accept also that we are not and cannot afford to be a major player in the world policing anymore.

Post #196624 27th Aug 2013 8:47 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If only we could go back to the position we were in when Britain really was a world power. Way back then the ONLY qualification for getting involved in any foreign conflict was the simple question - is this in Great Britain's best interest? Forget about trying to impose our so-called western morality on other regimes, we've no right to do so.

There can be no question here - the internal conflict in Syria is absolutely nothing to do with us. It's unfortunate that yet again one set of muslims is hell-bent on killing another set but we have no reason and no right to attempt to do anything about it. We are not and cannot ever be the world's policeman and, whatever action we took, we would only exacerbate the tension in the region and give the muslim fanatics yet another "justification" for attacking our citizens world-wide.

My vote - keep well out of it. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #196655 27th Aug 2013 10:46 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #196664 27th Aug 2013 11:06 pm
EYorkshire

It's a dilemma, I say keep out of it because like a game of football who knows where the ball may end up, the outcome will not be to the satisfaction of everyone involved. Another 'Russian' backed country that will get dragged into it will be Iran and together with Syria they have formidable arms, then Israel will have a pop simply because they have been waiting to for ages and love a war as much as they love themselves, and so it will escalate.

The west always feels they need a controlling hand in the middle east and are too manipulative for their own good, yet anyone with a sense of humanity cannot ignore the suffering of over 1 million refugees fleeing the country.

Perhaps our responsibility should be aimed at helping them rather than toppling another regime.

I feel yet again that the players in this war are the west versus Russia/China, and the middle eastern countries are the pawns being manipulated for their wealth and usefulness.

Post #196724 28th Aug 2013 8:51 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Again I think we (the UK) should stay out of it and let them sort it out themselves, I don't agree in chemical weapons as a form of killing people or things like land mines etc

But if anyone is to get involved in sorting this out then it should be a multinational peace keeping force like the UN or NATO not the Americans Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #196733 28th Aug 2013 10:28 am
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

All I'll say is, WMD, they "existed" which gave us an excuse to invade. How many did they find, 0. Keep out of it, America has obviously forgotten Vietnam. Korea etc. Who gave them permission to be the World's police? Not our war. Sorry, but I've had enough of the actions which we get involved in, and at the end of the day, the result, nothing. Banging Head

Post #196736 28th Aug 2013 10:49 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If only the result were nothing! These actions always kill more innocent people and provide fuel for the militants who then attack our own general public in acts of terrorism worldwide. Learn the lessons, stay out of it. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #196740 28th Aug 2013 11:23 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Just watched an exclusive report on BBC news showing children with severe burns and also adults from some sort of chemical weapon dropped near a school. There's no doubt in my mind that the government are responsible.

I understand strong opposition to the UK getting involved but I don't mind if its the USA, the French or anyone else, but someone needs to sort that tw Censored t out.

It is not the West's war but a blind eye cannot be turned. It's time for someone to warm up the missiles and waste the mother fu Censored ers! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #197038 29th Aug 2013 10:20 pm
taztastic

England 

Until proven guilty?
Not condoning anything, just an observation Whistle

My opinion, leave well alone, let other countries go in, yes something needs to be done and soon but poor old UK should be well down the pecking order.

Post #197041 29th Aug 2013 10:25 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

By all means we can stay out of it Taz and let USA bomb the sh Censored t out of them but we do have a tendency to follow the yanks into battle.

As for guilt? I think reasonable doubt went through the window a while ago LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #197043 29th Aug 2013 10:31 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Labours amendment has just been defeated by 112 votes. Next vote is on action in principle prior to the UN report LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #197044 29th Aug 2013 10:35 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Government motion defeated now. A bit embarrassing for Cameron so short of a turnaround on the vote after a UN report, we seem to be staying out of it...

Unless he thinks sod this lets join the yanks anyway LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #197046 29th Aug 2013 10:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>