Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Front tyre wear - Tracking/Alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hutchingsp

Front tyre wear - Tracking/Alignment

I'm having 4 new Nokians fitted tomorrow and I noticed that my passenger side front tyre has worn more than the drivers side, around 3mm vs. 4mm after 35K.

It's a 2011 SD4 - anything to be concerned about or is this normal? It's not something I've encountered before but then I've never had as large/heavy a vehicle before so don't know if something as daft as the slight camber of our roads could do it.

Post #196076 22nd Aug 2013 8:45 pm
ad210358

England 

If your running with Conti's then yes, they do tend to wear on the edge if on the front, especially the nearside. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #196092 22nd Aug 2013 9:11 pm
hutchingsp

ad210358 wrote:
If your running with Conti's then yes, they do tend to wear on the edge if on the front, especially the nearside.

They are Conti's and that pretty much nails it thanks - why is that though?

Post #196102 22nd Aug 2013 9:30 pm
ad210358

England 

A few of us have suffered with the Conti's wearing heavy on the nearside, soft walls perhaps, never had it with the Wranglers or Vredesteins just the Conti's Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #196105 22nd Aug 2013 9:52 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Which Nokians are you having? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #196107 22nd Aug 2013 9:59 pm
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I have 19" continentals and the near side is really worn in the edge too Big Cry Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #196111 22nd Aug 2013 10:29 pm
hutchingsp

Pegleg wrote:
Which Nokians are you having?

WR G2.

Had them fitted this morning.

The place managed to wreck one of my alloys whilst removing the existing tyre. Christ only knows how they managed it but they're going to get it refurbished and have used the alloy off the spare in its place so they can sort the refurb at their leisure.

I'm mildly Censored at Land Rover as well for using clip on weights - I'm no mechanic but to accomplish the saving of possibly 10 pence on a £35k vehicle they seem to have decided its worth using weights which seem to leave a thick deposit of Censored when removed.

As for the Nokian's it's really too early to tell much other than that the ride has noticeably changed though how much this splits between the combination of fresh rubber and different rubber and about 3 times the tread of the old Conti's is yet to be seen.

Post #196174 23rd Aug 2013 2:49 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When I replaced my OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zeros they had

FL 2
FR 3
RL 4
RR 5

which lead me to conclude that a) fronts wear more than rears and b) nearside wears more than offside, which I assume was caused by roundabouts. I think I read/heard that somewhere, perhaps a tyre centre.

Fronts wearing twice as quickly as rears is a bit annoying since I could have just replaced the fronts, but wanted to move away from the Pirellis and didn't want to mix brands. Now have GG GTs which I'm pretty happy with.

Post #196553 27th Aug 2013 12:55 pm
andytj427

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Rimini Red

My Contis did that. Tyre man said the front passenger is the 'Island tyre'. As it's the outside tyre on an island it does more mileage and is under more pressure when it goes around the island so wear a bit more. Sounds feasible if you do a lot of town driving I suppose.

Post #196880 28th Aug 2013 9:22 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I'm running 19" Contis and because I had a Hunter DSP 400 alignment, they have not worn irregularly as some people have experienced.

I went here:

http://www.dtstyres.co.uk/wheel_alignment.html Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #198605 9th Sep 2013 5:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

When I had mine done, the feathering on the edge of my contis stopped too Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #198615 9th Sep 2013 6:49 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

andytj427 wrote:
My Contis did that. Tyre man said the front passenger is the 'Island tyre'. As it's the outside tyre on an island it does more mileage and is under more pressure when it goes around the island so wear a bit more. Sounds feasible if you do a lot of town driving I suppose.

A good reason to rotate tyres on a regular basis then? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #198637 9th Sep 2013 8:03 pm
ad210358

England 

Its not just a quick swap of the wheels, Contis are directional, so its take them off the rim, or only do half a swap. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #198649 9th Sep 2013 8:43 pm
Davidspect

andytj427 wrote:

If you travel from A to B and wish to get back to your original starting point you must turn left exactly as many times as you turn right, regardless of roundabouts. Guess that's why he's a tyre monkey.

Post #198689 9th Sep 2013 11:33 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Eh? Do you go round roundabouts anti clockwise when going home then? Even going straight on at a ROUNDabout involves extra loading/scrubbing/wear/travel to the nearside wheels. Just how do the offside tyres get equal wear? Your very first post on this forum in reply to a post I made gave me reason then to suspect you know very little about tyres.

ME: I have an HSE with 18" alloys but the spare is a brand new, unused (so I'm assuming this was supplied with the car) 17" steel wheel.

YOU: Sorry for not introducing myself first, but can this be correct? Surely you can't run on a 17" spare with 18" wheels on the car. Would it not put a huge strain on the rear diff if on the back or on the Haldex?

Your most recent post now confirms my suspicions. Guess you wouldn't even make the grade as a tyre monkey. Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #198694 10th Sep 2013 7:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>