Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2013 Free Lander 2 Halogen to Xenon Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Winslet

United Kingdom 

philllip, as others have already said in their replies, it is a straight swap plus a change to the CCF. By far the best way to upgrade the lights and totally reversible.

As to other replies about fitting upgraded lights, age related fitment is probably best - although it is possible to modify pre 2013 cars to take the MY2013 lights.

Other posts on here cover the fitting of after market HID kits, but results seem to be poor. Although no CCF modification is needed, there seems to be a number of irreversible modifications needed.

Best of luck. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #249658 20th Jan 2015 10:19 pm
Craigius

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

So on the facelift headlamps is there a ballest pack with them?
If so you would just need to add a xenon bulb? and alter the CCF file of course. MY 2012 HSE LUX
MY 2010 XS

Post #249737 21st Jan 2015 6:03 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

No ballast fitted to the non xenon 2013 headlights if that is what you are asking?

Post #249742 21st Jan 2015 7:33 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

On MY2013 on lamps with xenon/HID fitted the ballast is fitted underneath the lamp. You can see where it goes on the halogen lamps as the moulding is the same. A cut out about the size of a matchbox (you can see this as well) is made so the connectors in the ballast go to the inside of the headlamp. Otherwise the lamps have the same shell. Only the loom and holder for the bulb are different.

I don't know about pre MY2013.

Hope that helps. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #250038 23rd Jan 2015 8:57 pm
philllip

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Bought a set of Xenon Headlights today from an owner who converted his Halogens.

Will the manual levelling system work with the Xenons at all? Im assuming vehicles with Xenon as stock had no manual switch control.

The previous owner opted for a Relay install on a MY14 over the CCF mod. He gave me the loom in case I wanted dongondown that route. Is there any benefit to CCF at all? I.e manual levelling?

Post #330145 31st Aug 2017 12:12 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

ive just had a good look into this upgrade.

the headlight units are a straight swap over on MY13 >
You only need to find someone to edit the CCF to accept the Xenons.

In UK it is law to have headlamp washers and auto levelling if the car is fitted with Xenons.

As most UK FL2 came with headlamp washers as standard this isn't an issue. However all those fitted with Halogen headlights had manual levelling (rotary dial on the dash) which legally wont meet UK requirements for Xenon headlights.
The manual levelling will still work with Xenon headlights fitted.

Hope that answers the question Thumbs Up

Post #330159 31st Aug 2017 1:42 pm
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Re: MY2013 Wiring Diagram for OEM Xenon Head Lights with DRL

wytonpjs wrote:
As npinks advised" as Ad210358 said, nobody on here has upgraded their lights on a MY13 from halogen to Xenon".

I might just be up for the challenge having worked my way up the retrofitting of firstly the base halogen projector with DRL, then halogen projector with DRL and signature strips.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16893.html#end

Recognise there are a number of issues such as CCF, auto-levellers, etc, to be addressed but life would be boring without a challenge and I'm very keen not to modify the internals of the OEM lights as others have done.

Can anyone point me at a pdf of the MY2013 wiring diagram for the xenon with DRL and signature strip please or pm me a copy?

Many thanks................

Hi How did you get the LED circle section to work. I have just purchased a 2014 Lux HSE with these lights and the Circle LEDs never seem to come on.

Just wondering why they are working on yours but as you retro-fitted them did you just wire them into the DLR sig strip?

CT

Post #382053 1st Dec 2019 12:28 pm
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Had the car for a couple of days now and noticed they are working....doah

Post #382137 3rd Dec 2019 9:53 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

still trying to decide what to do about poor headlights on 2013 XS SD4. Currently have halogen projector with LED circle nut no signature strips ( were the strips a later facelift? or only on HSE models?)
if i get some new HID units ( expensive i know! ) will they have signature strips and will they just plug in and play on my car?
i believe i may have to have the CCF tickled by an auto electrician.
HID may require auto levelling but i understand there is a debate about this - some MOT testers have no problem with manual levelling ?

apologies if going over old ground but been wrestling with this now since i bought the car- headlights are alarmingly poor. seems the twin bulb set up on earlier cars was sacrificed for stylised fashion DRL circles and a single filament bulb and a shutter system. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #385309 27th Jan 2020 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mike e

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

see topic &pics of novsight hb3 led bulbs 2007 hse gone
214xs

Post #385321 27th Jan 2020 10:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123