« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black
Caravan MOT

Check out this link to the Daily Mail, it seems to me CG has been meddling! Whistle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23...ounds.html

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Moved Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #194249 9th Aug 2013 8:03 pm
taztastic

England 

Laughing

Quote:
German MEP Werner Kuhn, a member of the transport committee pushing the reforms, argued that regular checks are needed on caravans which can often be left 'in a barn and used only once a year'.
He added: 'Then the chicken feathers are swept away and you do not know if the brakes are still OK, if the lighting works.'

Post #194252 9th Aug 2013 8:18 pm
ad210358

England 

Can't help but find the link funny.

Up to 200,000 families could be hit by costly new tests on caravans
European Union wants to ensure they are roadworthy to prevent accidents
UK government vows to fight attempt to impose costs on holidaymakers
German MEP warns of danger of caravans stored in barns with chickens

It's quite funny really, its been reported that its limited to Caravans, but are not bothered by trailers at the moment, have they not seen some of the trailers seen with mini diggers on.

If it does get passed it won't be implemented before 2017 p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #194254 9th Aug 2013 8:33 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

road hogs are to be hit with bills for hundreds of pounds under European Union common sense plans to impose MoT-style tests on caravans.

Up to 200,000 families could be affected by the draconian demands which it is warned could revitalise the UK’s tourism economy.

The UK government is to launch an attempt to fast trackthe regulations, but it is feared it will be slowed down by Brussels later this year.

Under the new rules almost every caravan will have to undergo safety testing, similar to MoTs for cars.

Sensibly all other light trailers under 2000kg will remain excluded from testing and only caravans have been singled out.

German Hero Werner Kuhn, a member of the transport committee pushing the reforms, argued that regular checks are needed on caravans which can often be left 'in a barn and used only once a year'.

He added: 'Then the chicken feathers are swept away and you do not know if the brakes are still OK, if the lighting works.'
The Club warns that caravans act as a ‘significant financial barrier’ to families being able to afford to go on a decent holiday.

‘This will in turn have a positive effect on the UK's tourism economy, and economy in general, if the number of caravans reduces ex-owner will have more money to spend in the holiday areas shops and resteraunts

‘Club members alone, annually spend £40 million with tescos in their home towns, then take the goods on their caravanning trips,’ the spokesman added.

Caravan club replies
"It is totally unnecessary. Caravans dont need brakes ,they are far too slow.

'Caravanners as a whole are very tight people. They are not going to risk their cash letting someone take the wheels off and look for remains of brake pads

' it is a couple of hundreds pounds, I was saving that money for a new ipad

‘We do not yet have a developed assessment of the quantity of brake shoes needed to repair the countries caravans, we estimate that it could require around 200,000.

Kevin from Cleckheaton said
"sorry cant talk to you Im just cleaning out the chemical thunder box, I maybe some time" At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #194258 9th Aug 2013 8:45 pm
ad210358

England 

What kept you Rolling with laughter p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #194259 9th Aug 2013 9:11 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

IMHO - Good although trailers need to be included

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #194260 9th Aug 2013 9:13 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

How much would it cost to MOT a trailer, surely there cant be that much to check/look at? I say that but I've never had a van or towed a trailer! Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #194262 9th Aug 2013 9:17 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Another other sensible idea, I have nothing to fear all my gear is fine , well serviced and safe.

European proposals to subject all tractors and trailers to tough MoT-style tests are being opposed by the NFU.

Adam Bedford, who works in the NFU's Brussels office, told a breakout session at the NFU conference that the union was actively lobbying against the EU Roadworthiness Package as it could have big implications for farmers.

The proposals, first published in July 2012, would involve the introduction of a new registration scheme covering tractors and trailers, including livestock trailers. The aim was to try and reduce fatal accidents across all members states down to zero.

Mr Bedford said the industry was "not out of the woods yet" on the issue but it was getting helpful support from the Council of Ministers.

"The only reason tractors are in the package is that tractors in some countries are being used for transport and haulage. We believe that tractors are in the scope of the proposals when they really shouldn't be."

Ben Ellis, NFU regulatory affairs advisor, said in a separate development the NFU had submitted proposals to the Department for Transport (DFT) that could enable those farmers who want to go "faster and heavier" on the road to undergo voluntary MoT tests to enable them to do so.

The proposals would allow farmers to drive at 25mph and increase the weight limits for approved agricultural tractors and trailers.

The idea is that for approved agricultural trailers, extra weight limits would permit maximum weights of 23t for a twin axle trailer, 25.5t for a triaxle trailer (27t with a road friendly suspension) and a gross train weight of 33t and 37t respectively.

Mr Ellis said the proposals had been submitted to the DFT and the union was waiting to see if they will consult on them. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #194263 9th Aug 2013 9:19 pm
ad210358

England 

Ccsnet, yes, it would make sense. It's all very up in the air, it may not happen, it may be every three years, they is no way at the moment that workshops are set up to do it, even now I have to book my annual service at least six months in advance.

If it does come in the sensible option would be to have every trailer registered and given its own registration number like on the continent, this in turn would make caravans less easy to disappear lowering insurance costs. On the continent caravan theft is almost unheard of. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #194264 9th Aug 2013 9:20 pm
ccsnet

chicken george wrote:
European proposals to subject all tractors and trailers to tough MoT-style tests are being opposed by the NFU.
Surely road going tractors are subject to some kind of testing today like HGVs ?

T Terran

Post #194268 9th Aug 2013 9:31 pm
ccsnet

ad210358 wrote:
Ccsnet, yes, it would make sense. It's all very up in the air, it may not happen, it may be every three years, they is no way at the moment that workshops are set up to do it, even now I have to book my annual service at least six months in advance.

If it does come in the sensible option would be to have every trailer registered and given its own registration number like on the continent, this in turn would make caravans less easy to disappear lowering insurance costs. On the continent caravan theft is almost unheard of.
Three years to me would be sensible.... its the road going sheds ( hang on is that not a definition of a caravan lol ) that worry me....

T Terran

Post #194269 9th Aug 2013 9:33 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I would go along with a policy where all Trailers whether camping or caravan or commercial plant (mini diggers?) and ALL FARM TRAILERS should be held to be within the construction and use regulations and have proper legal lights, proper brakes, legal number plates and including needing insurance.
I have seen far to many plant hire trailers wagging behind Transits with no lights or number plates; in the countryside farmers use highly illegal botched trailers, totally overloaded and without id or lights.
To single out Caravans is a tiny tip of a huge iceberg.
Just think of the benefits to the countries employment, first we would need another Swansea!!!!!; then more garages; preceeded by the garage machinery suppliers selling special hydraulic 3 track ramps, new brake testing gear for overrun brakes......wow what a big long list.
I bet its really about more jobs and politicians scoring points.

Regards to all trailer towers from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #194270 9th Aug 2013 10:20 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

as caravans do not have to carry a road licence, how on earth can they know the last time if ever a caravan had an MOT? If I had a caravan if I didn't have it MOT,ed for the first time no one would know it didn't require one or even if it actually existed.

One of the most stupid regulations out of the EEC yet, maybe they live in a chicken shed surrounded by clapped out caravans.

No mention of mobile homes Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #194285 10th Aug 2013 9:36 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
Caravan serviceing

through CARAVAN SERVICING in wales

5 LITERS PREMIUM NON-LEADED PETROL

1 BOX (large ) SWAN VESTA MATCHES

5 GLASS BOTTLES AND 5 OLD HANKIES .. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #194520 11th Aug 2013 7:17 pm
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I think it would be a step in the right direction. Having seen some of the vans on the road over the last week you do wonder how the actually stay in one piece. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #194558 11th Aug 2013 10:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>