Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Running Winter tyres all year....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Running Winter tyres all year....

I am in the market for a set of wheels and tyres to replace the 19" wheels currently fitted to the wife's Freelander, I have seen a set for sale but they are fitted with winter tyres......does anyone run winter tyres all year round??? And are there any issues with doing so??

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #193927 6th Aug 2013 9:07 pm
alex_pescaru

They will just wear a little quicker during summer, as the rubber is a little softer than the summer ones.

Post #193934 6th Aug 2013 9:30 pm
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

I'm running Nokian WRG2 SUV all year round, so far no issues. Of course, whilst these are marketed in Europe as winter tyres, on N American continent they are marketed as all weather tires, and appear on both the winter tire and summer tire (NB spelling Wink ) on Nokian's website.

Last winter one had to drive quite outrageously to unstick them, and even then it was only possible on polished snow and ice. On packed or fresh snow it just gripped and went, and of course stopped and cornered.

This summer it has been no issue. Have been monitoring wear and over the recent hot weather, no issues.

I know a couple of others are using the same tyres again all year round. Plus one other who is using something from Avon iirc. Again no problems.

To put it in perspective, I don't travel massive long distances, probably 300 miles round trip in a day every couple of weeks, and rest is just local rural roads mainly. Waft around in fairly laid back and leisurely manner but keeping up to the limit and consistent with best safe progress where possible at all times. Don't hold people up, definitely not one of the 40 mph everywhere brigade, yet I don't sling the FL2 round on its door handles, have something else for that.

I would say it also depends what brand the tyres are on the rims you are looking at. If a good manufacturer then you will be OK. If cheapo unknowns and especially if Chinese ditchfinders, personally I would avoid.

Hope that helps.

Post #193937 6th Aug 2013 9:41 pm
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Thanks for the replies so far....

The tyres are Continental Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #193938 6th Aug 2013 9:44 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

Aside from the obvious fact, that winter tyres under perform in the summer / warmer months when compared to standard all year tyres - this may affect your insurance

I have tried this twice, and on both occasions when I fitted my summer/all year tyres back my MPG improved dramatically, as did the driving experience.

Proper Winter tyres are too soft in the summer, and possibly a hazard.

Whilst we may all have comments / experiences on this, I prefer to rely on the science...... 

Post #193958 7th Aug 2013 8:47 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

If you had an accident though they might say well he had snow tyres on and it was 90 degrees thats why he crashed it, dont give the insurance companies the slightest thing to enable them to reduce the payout because they will try.

Post #193962 7th Aug 2013 9:06 am
ad210358

England 

Can't see it Mona, if they did say its because you have winter tyres, what about in the winter, do they say we won't payout as you have not fitted winters, your running on summers:?:
Its the same if you change your factory spec Conti's for some cheap and cheerful ditchfinders.

On running Winters 365 you run the risk of not getting the benefit in the winter, they do say that Winters need to be changed at 4mm. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193971 7th Aug 2013 10:07 am
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have just bought a FL2 fitted with Hankook winter tyres. I have not noticed any difference between these and the Goodyear Wranglers fitted to my last FL2. I would go so far as saying that they probably grip a little better but this may be due to their wider profile. The AA list insurance companies on their website which have to be notified if you use winter tyres all year round. My insurance company (Direct Line) consider winter tyres a modification so have to be informed. They sent me a revised insurance certificate with winter tyres listed as a modification at no extra cost. Hope this helps.

Post #194009 7th Aug 2013 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1