« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR2 Reliability issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
expat

LR2 Reliability issues

Hello all.
I am seriously considering getting an LR2 ,here in Oman they only sell the petrol version .What i would like to know is
A. The Freelander isnt remebered for being the most reliable vehicle , has this been fixed on the LR2 .
B. As they only sell the petrol version is this going to seriously hamper my off road options , i manly drive offroad on packed sand/loose sand and loose stoney ground.
Thanks in advance
Bob .

Post #15240 6th Mar 2008 3:25 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Bob....first off welcome to the boards. Thumbs Up

I'm live just over the border, so had similar questions to you.

I didn't even consider the LR2 to start with and was actually looking at the typical Middle East 4x4's, as I knew the original freelander was not that great. The LR2 on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish.

The things which swayed me was LR don't make bad off road vehicles full stop, this is not taking into account realiability etc. but LR's do go off road properly.

The petrol aspect didn't bother me in the slightest as military special forces groups have always used petrol defenders, because of the availbility of petrol compared to diesel, and I am not aware taht they have suffered off-road because of it. The other part of this is that every 4x4 in the region is petrol so you'd be no better or worse with a competitors vehicle.

Then there was the engine which is from Volvo, so knew that it would be powerful enough and definately realiable enough.

The LR2 is also a bit more special I think than a lot of the other options and there are certainly less on the road than your Prado's, Pajero's and Pathfinder's, H3's or the FJ Cruiser that has only just been released here, which adds something to it also.....then again I think I've seen more Audi R8's than I have LR2's on the road Laughing

The LR2 was released well over a year ago now first in the UK and there have been a few issues. With the relatively complicated technology in the car it was to be expected that software might be an issue at some point, and it has been, but LR has issued upgrades to fix any glitches.

I've had my LR2 for 3 weeks now and put 1300 kms on it, in which it has not failed to please me.

I am yet to take it seriously off-road but I have no doubt the LR2 will handle this like it does everything else, easily!

Just buy one so we can plan a Middle East Freel2 meet Thumbs Up

Post #15246 6th Mar 2008 4:24 pm
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Had an i6 for 10 weeks now and never been so pleased with a car before. Had Freelander 1 for almost 5 years previously and liked that a lot (only ever had two problems, one in the first two days' ownership, and clutch after 48k miles). Would have preferred a diesel for economy, but i6 sounds great and performs brilliantly - am permanently smiling! Have not been off-road yet but belive it is better off-road than a Freelander 1 and I found the Freelander 1 to be excellent off-road so this should be very good. Buy one now! DT

Post #15274 6th Mar 2008 8:17 pm
expat

Hi Gambbe
Well mate if i buy a LR2 i think we could meet at the border Smile ....
My other choice of new car is the LR3 so i am kinda keeping it in the family as it were ... lol
As i live in Masirah i have a 2 hour ferry ride then a 3-4 hour drive to Muscat , and there isnt a lot in between hence my reliabilty concerns .... you know what i mean there!!!
Anyway looking forward to being part of the Landy family Smile
Cheers
Bob

Post #15289 6th Mar 2008 9:50 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The only thing that stopped me going for the LR3 was the only option I could have afforded would have been the V6 option and then it would have been bottom of the range, compared to HSE in the LR2, and then on top of that the V6 is just simply underpowered and still very thirsty.
The V8 in the LR3 is much better, but performance wise the LR2 is still better, but also in town it makes much more sense for parking and general fighting through traffic.

If I could make the choice between a low spec LR3 V8 or the HSE LR2 I'd difinately take the LR2 just for the creature comforts of a HSE model you get that make it feel that extra bit special.

On the I6 models I have not heard of a case on freel2 of a car ever having been recovered from the road due to a problem....and actually I think maybe the same is applicable with teh TD4 model as well.

There is something about all of Land Rover's vehicles at the moment that tells me whichever model you take you will enjoy it and love driving it........will look into a 2nd hand RRS next year maybe Twisted Evil

Easier for you to pop over to Sharjah or Ajman rather than meeting in Muscat Thumbs Up

Post #15311 7th Mar 2008 4:34 am
muddywheels

England 

I have had my Fl2 5 months without any problems (apart from reset but not realy a problem) Very Happy

Had 4 Land Rovers since 2000 and apart from flat battery (Dvd left on Embarassed ) no reliability concerns Thumbs Up

As far as I am concerned the Fl2 is the best LR to date - which begs the question why Ford are selling Confused

Post #15325 7th Mar 2008 2:25 pm
J T

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

Same here,

2 Freelander 1,s Td4, no problems at all

Disco 3, Amber park brake light once in two years.

Freelander 2, Well, only had it three weeks but by god have I got a big grin on my face. Very Happy

Last edited by J T on 7th Mar 2008 5:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #15327 7th Mar 2008 5:22 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I've had mine since 1st Jan 07, done 25000 miles,with 6000 of that towing a 1500kg caravan.I have taken it to France,Belgium,Germany,Luxemburg,Holland,Italy Austria and towed over thae Alps twice. I have had a new battery due to a faulty one being fitted from new and have had no other serious issues.I wish I had waited for the automatic to come out .
I average about 37mpg solo and 28 towing, I can get 41mpg on the motorway at 60 mph.I never turn the climate control off.
It is the best towcar I've ever had and so far the most reliable.

Post #15328 7th Mar 2008 5:36 pm
expat

Thanks for the info guys Smile

Post #15400 9th Mar 2008 1:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1