« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Towbars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Towbars

Time is coming for a tow bar to be fitted - am going to go for a detachable as I liked that type on my Freelander 1. I used the local LR dealer when I had one fitted to my Freelander 1 only to discover that they had subbed the work to an excellent place in Manchester (P F Jones in Old Trafford) that supply and fit a wide range of tow bars, roof kit, etc and from whom I bought my tow bar mounted bike rack. I think the Freelander 1 used a Witter produced tow bar but have heard that the Freelander 2 uses that from another manufacturer, although cannot recall the name now.

Has anyone any suggestions on the most cost effective option for supply & fit and does anyone know who manufactures the detachable tow bar for the Freelander 2 please?

Thanks, DT

Post #15354 8th Mar 2008 9:28 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Cost effective way - Go to local LR dealer and ask for a quote....................... go to the folks they farm the job out to and ask for a quote then calculate how much fuel and time will cost you to get there and back and apply to both sums......................... then go back to the local LR dealer and ask if they can match the price of the guy that does the jobs for them. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #15355 8th Mar 2008 10:14 am
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi DT,

I had a detachable fitted from new by my LR dealer. It is a manufactured by brinks and I had the continental 13 pin socket fitted at the same time. Cost was around 450.00 but obviously covered by the three year warranty. Very easy to fit / remove and a neat job.

Post #15358 8th Mar 2008 10:21 am
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I have had removable towbar fitted to my FR2 when supplied new and I am pleased with the fitting. It does have the land Rover Plate on it so I expect it to be covered under warranty. The twin electrics were also of LR make and couple up to the FR2's electrics so the dashboard light shows when the indicators are working. If you go for a generic make they may not use the genuine LR electrics and the dashboard light will not work.

Saving a few quid on your towbar & electrics may not be the best option.

Who makes the removable towbar for Land Rover? anybody know?

Post #15360 8th Mar 2008 11:07 am
Grimbo

PJW wrote:
I have had removable towbar fitted to my FR2 when supplied new and I am pleased with the fitting. It does have the land Rover Plate on it so I expect it to be covered under warranty. The twin electrics were also of LR make and couple up to the FR2's electrics so the dashboard light shows when the indicators are working. If you go for a generic make they may not use the genuine LR electrics and the dashboard light will not work.

Saving a few quid on your towbar & electrics may not be the best option.

Who makes the removable towbar for Land Rover? anybody know?

Hello again PJW - yes the detachable tow bar which was fitted by my LR dealer is manufactured by Brink.

Post #15361 8th Mar 2008 11:13 am
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Grimbo, I presume you are saying that the "LR" Towbar is manufactured by brink? I hope so, if I reqiure a new Quick release swan neck in the future I will not have to buy the whole Towbar kit again!

I have ordered 13pin electrics on my next FR2, one cable must be better.

Post #15364 8th Mar 2008 1:37 pm
Grimbo

PJW wrote:
Hi Grimbo, I presume you are saying that the "LR" Towbar is manufactured by brink? I hope so, if I reqiure a new Quick release swan neck in the future I will not have to buy the whole Towbar kit again!

I have ordered 13pin electrics on my next FR2, one cable must be better.

Hi PJW,

Yes the detachable towbar supplied to me and fitted by LR is manufactured by Brink, so the detachable bar should be available to purchase seperately if required.

As far as the 13 pin electrical socket goes - yes a definite improvement and much less hassle with only one cable. I modified the wiring on my caravan and changed the cable over to suit the 13 pin system. Easy enough to do and so far everything works great. The thirteen pin plug and socket are so much better engineered than the old 12 N & S plugs with less chance of water ingress etc..

Post #15366 8th Mar 2008 1:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

http://www.coquetcottages.co.uk/Prices.htm nuff said Laughing

I recommend Ceolwulph Cottage very nice

Post #15369 8th Mar 2008 2:25 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hello again PJW - yes the detachable tow bar which was fitted by my LR dealer is manufactured by Brink.[/quote]

My LR dealer supplied the same type, but the Brink brand name now seems to be part or the Thule company. Try here for info: http://www.thulegroup.com/en/ as they may market it under the Thule name now. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #15373 8th Mar 2008 3:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1