« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Using winter tyres in the summer and insurance cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Using winter tyres in the summer and insurance cover

Finally got the new car! I can honestly say there is a huge difference in refinement between an S Manual and a HSE Auto. I don't know how much changed in terms of suspension components between September 2007 (S) and March 2009 (HSE) but the car seems to ride much more smoothly and quietly on typical British Roads. The auto box completely transforms the driving experience and I am glad I swapped. After two days of owning it though the passenger door is refusing to unlock! Thankfully under warranty so back to the dealers to be fixed.

One potentially huge (financially) problem is the car was supplied with Hankook Winter i Cept evo tyres. I hadn't noticed before handing over the cash. My insurer considers it a modification so I will have to call them but I am unsure if I can still use them legally in the summer. In truth they seem more grippy than the Goodyear Wranglers I had on my last FL2. Does anyone have any experience with insurers refusing to cover cars fitted with winter tyres in the summer so I can be armed with a counter argument if they become awkward? I truthfully don't want to be hit with the cost of a full new set of tyres right now!

Post #192051 21st Jul 2013 8:13 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Glad you got it. Smile One difference between your old car and new car is that the new car will have clear side indicators. Wink I'm sure someone will advise you on the tyres. Thumbs Up

Be great to see some pictures at some point too. Wink

Post #192056 21st Jul 2013 9:05 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

winter tyres in summer - bad idea, increased fuel consumption and excessive wear.
better off getting 2nd hand all year / summer tyres 

Post #192057 21st Jul 2013 9:12 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

You can use winter tyres in summer just as most folks use summer tyres all year round. Not advisable for reasons highlighted by pcheaven.

Just for future reference, this makes interesting reading: https://www.abi.org.uk/News/News-releases/...NTER-TYRES

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savin...16AC0.ashx LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #192064 21st Jul 2013 10:00 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Many thanks for that Doctor. The speed rating on mine is H (130mph) rather than V (149mph) that Land Rover recommend. Unfortunately my insurance company is listed as "need to be informed" which is a pain so I will ask them if that invalidates my insurance. You would hope that a used approved land rover bought in July would be supplied with tyres that are legal for uk roads.

Post #192065 21st Jul 2013 10:09 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The tyres are legal and its not illegal to use winter tyres in summer, just not recommended. It won't invalidate your insurance. You are telling them about it as soon as you are aware of it and as I know from our admittedly brief study of insurance law, an insurance policy is one of uberrimae fidei which means of the utmost good faith.

Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #192069 21st Jul 2013 11:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1