Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting Roof Rails, my experience...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
landygeezer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Hi Botanics, just read your description, very comprehensive instructions indeed! I have not long had my Freelander 2 so am still getting used to some of the terms! I noticed from the photos you have a sun roof - is it the twin one, ie front opening and rear fixed?
My FL2 is a 2007 SE model with the twin sunroofs but I have been put off buying the roof rails (particularly from places like fleabay as it nearly always says in the description "not suitable for panoramic sun roof". Can I assume these twin roofs are not therefore "panoramic" and any standard OEM Land Rover/Freelander 2 roof rail kit will fit? 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #215893 5th Feb 2014 4:39 pm
botanics

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As far as I'm aware there are two types of rail, one for cars with sunroof and one for cars without. I suspect the sun roof rails are slightly taller so the roof can open without smashing itself on the rails... The sun roof works fine with mine no problems at all. The rails I bought where genuine LR ones, I cant speak for 'other' branded ones you might find on Ebay.

Edited to add yes mine is the twin sunroof that you describe, the front opens but the rear panel is fixed.

Post #215897 5th Feb 2014 4:46 pm
landygeezer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Thanks for that. You don't happen to have the LR part code for the compatible sunroof rails you fitted do you?? Confused 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #215898 5th Feb 2014 4:56 pm
botanics

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

From the LR documentation.

LR006608 - Raised roof rail and cross brace kit (non panoramic sunroof vehicles)*

LR007220 - Raised roof rail and cross brace kit (panoramic sunroof vehicles)* Crossbar kit (requires raised roof rail kit)

So I fitted the LR007220.

Post #215899 5th Feb 2014 5:03 pm
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: Fitting Roof Rails, my experience...

botanics wrote:

5) Next fit the cross brace, this bit is quite fiddly. When the advances in genetic engineering have been made and you have the experience of a 60 year old mechanic, with the strength of a 25 year old and the hand size of a six year old this job will be a doodle! just make sure you cover the roof with a towel to stop any damage, lift up one end and align the holes and loosely insert the Allen bolts, then lift up the other side and repeat. Take your time and if you get frustrated, go and have a cup of tea and try again! One you have the bolts in go round and tighten the rail bolts and finally the cross brace

I gave up trying after 15 minutes of trying to get the bolts in.

I took the rails off the roof, and assembled the whole thing indoors, and then put the whole assembly back on the roof.

Worked like a charm.... Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #216153 7th Feb 2014 6:54 pm
Shakey

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Just fitted bars today, well I started yesterday!!!! All the plastic trim clips either snapped,twisted off or just would not budge. So after drilling and digging all the plastic out of the holes I started to fit, this is when it really started to go wrong Sad drilled hole for front mountings with no problems, bars put on roof with all washers and rubber gaskets in place.

Word of caution to anyone who attempts this after snapping the plastic trim clips ENSURE ALL THE PLASTIC IS OUT OF THE HOLE. first bolt I put in snapped in the roof Big Cry because I Censored tried to tighten the bolt up thinking it was just tight but no there was still plastic in the hole!!!!!!!

If you do do this you can luckily change it for one of the front ones and a trip to local hardware shop to get a new bolt. In total it took me nearly 5 hours to complete.

If I was to do it again I would by a trim clip removing tool and put the Question Censored Censored Censored stupid cross bar onto the bars before fitting.

Hope this helps someone

PS

The bloody cross bar feet I have don't even bloody fit.

Post #216271 8th Feb 2014 8:51 pm
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

A tip for removing the plastic trim clips.. is to drill 2 small holes at opposite sides of the clips (where the slots in the roof trim are) then use a pair of circlip pliers in the holes to unscrew them.

Came up with this idea after struggling to remove the first clip for a good 20 mins Whistle
The other 3 came out much faster than the first one Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
Migrated over from Disco4
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...

Post #222725 22nd Apr 2014 9:21 am
barnyarmy1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

All. I was hoping you could advise me if my roof bars are faulty. I had the plastic roof rack with crossbar fitted to my Freelander by a local mechanics. The roof rack is a patent part so cheaper than the Land Rover version. The problem I have is that the feet at the rear do not sit flush to the roof, it looks like the rubber gromet/seal is not thick enough. I know the rear bolts are lower into the roof than the other 2 bolts but should the roof rack be flush to the roof?? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Post #252135 7th Feb 2015 9:16 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

outofyorkshire wrote:
A tip for removing the plastic trim clips.. is to drill 2 small holes at opposite sides of the clips (where the slots in the roof trim are) then use a pair of circlip pliers in the holes to unscrew them.

Came up with this idea after struggling to remove the first clip for a good 20 mins Whistle
The other 3 came out much faster than the first one Thumbs Up

I did this, it took longer to drill the holes than unscrew them. Once I had the holes I used a pair of pointy nosed pliers to turn them out. Easy.

I used a drill pin-vice & hand drilled them so I would not run the battery drill into the car. By the fourth one I only drilled part way into the cap. This gave a good enough hole without drilling all the way through to still allow enough grip. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #252136 7th Feb 2015 9:23 am
ronp

Scotland 
Re: Fitting Roof Rails, my experience...

SteveC wrote:
I took the rails off the roof, and assembled the whole thing indoors, and then put the whole assembly back on the roof.

Worked like a charm....

Yep agree, that's what I did, a far easier & less stressful way of fitting.

Thumbs Up

Post #252141 7th Feb 2015 10:22 am
Gordy

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

If for nothing else, pop a foot on the rear tyre and a hand on the roof rail.... Pull yourself up and now able to wash the bloomin roof easier Rolling with laughter

Post #252333 8th Feb 2015 10:09 pm
garioch43

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Barneyarmy1 - yes, the brackets should fit tightly against the roof.

When installing, the assembly should be kept finger tight and then torqued up when everything is in place to prevent gaps between the rail system and the roof.

I'd take it back to the person who fitted it for you. garioch43

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE - Santorini Black/Black Leather
2002 MGF 1.8i - British Racing Green/Cream Leather with loads of walnut and chrome bits

Post #252417 9th Feb 2015 1:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12