Home > General > Freelander 2 - first impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hagrid

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Freelander 2 - first impressions

Hi to all

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to all forum members. I bought my Freelander 2 TD4 HSE on 7 January and your comments really helped me in making my purchasing decision. I’ve covered 2000 miles in the car driving in the Scottish Highlands and for the benefit of anyone else considering buying the Freelander 2 I would like to offer my initial impressions (sorry if they're a bit long winded):

Steering: fantastic, precise and good feel – really inspires confidence
Ride: good balance between damping (I don’t notice the potholes) and firmness (I haven’t noticed any significant body roll when cornering)
Roadholding: I drove 260 miles in constant high wind and heavy rain conditions on Wednesday and the car was really surefooted and stable. In spite of (or should I rather say because of) the conditions it was great fun to drive too.
Engine: the diesel has more than ample power for overtaking, it’s docile in traffic but pulls well on the open road. Mine is a bit of a rattler on start-up but soon settles down and is quiet and refined when cruising.
Brakes: I have to report that these worked surprisingly well when some deer suddenly crossed the road in front of me the other evening. (It’s just a shame about the rabbit that leapt out in front of me earlier in the evening.)
Fuel Consumption: I’m currently getting between 34.5 and 38 mpg without trying depending on the nature of the journey and the weather conditions.
Cabin: Very adjustable and comfortable seats, comfortable driving position, the integrated IPOD attachment is a great asset, the phone integration works well for me (Nokia N73 but I haven't got it to sychronise yet), instrumentation & controls are easy to use and have a good quality feel.
Driver’s view: It’s great to have such commanding forward and side views. However, for me personally there is quite a three-quarter rear-view blind spot behind me on the driver’s side caused by the thick pillar. It’s fine once you are aware of it and you can adjust your viewing approach accordingly when e.g. pulling onto motorways. You just need to remember to be aware of it.
Lights: I have the standard headlamps and they are more than powerful enough for me in both dipped and main beam modes. Much better in fact than my previous car.
Road and wind noise: very well subdued for a vehicle this size. Long journeys in this car are very pleasant.
Sound system: it’s good but I’ve experienced better.
Boot Space: With the rear seats down the car has great carrying capacity, but with the rear seats up the boot is not cavernous. It’s fine for me but check it out if you anticipate using the car to go away with the family.
Rattles: none
Problems: none
Dealer: Taggarts in Glasgow were very helpful and went to some trouble to let me have a very long test drive at short notice. My new car was handed over in spotless condition and my part exchange was dealt with very fairly.
Overall impressions of the car: I find myself making lot’s of excuses to go out in the Freelander 2. It’s a wonderful vehicle and ssshhhh - I haven’t missed my trusty and beloved 5 Series BMW that preceded it one little bit. I can’t say any better than that! I'll post an update after a few more thousand miles.

Best wishes, Hagrid

Post #13782 2nd Feb 2008 12:28 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Looks like another satisfied customer Thumbs Up

Great write up on your impression of the FL2

And welcome to the forum too

Nick Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13789 2nd Feb 2008 12:16 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I have to say that after 2 weeks with our freelander (a used one admittedly) I'm of the same view. Thumbs Up
Compares very well to my E class Mercedes (though as teh freelander is the wife's I get to keep it). Has made me wonder whether to look at a LRsport instead of another E when I come to change though Confused 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #13807 2nd Feb 2008 4:08 pm
gorjant

Macedonia 

jules1967 wrote:
I have to say that after 2 weeks with our freelander (a used one admittedly) I'm of the same view. Thumbs Up
Compares very well to my E class Mercedes (though as teh freelander is the wife's I get to keep it). Has made me wonder whether to look at a LRsport instead of another E when I come to change though Confused

So does the FL2 compares well in term of ride comfort and road/wind/engine noise with the Merc E-Class (I neede to hear this Smile )? What year model is the Merc?

Post #13820 2nd Feb 2008 7:58 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Gorjant,
yes, I can confirm this! My "office" car is a Mercedes E-Class 320 cdi Automatic from 2006, and the Freely 2 TD4 Automatic does compare well with the Mercedes with regard to noise and ride qualitiy.
But both cars are not really comparable. The Mercedes is an excellent Autobahn-runner with lots of space and comfort, and the Freely is good as a town car due to its excellent oversight and high seating besides
its off-road and towing capabilities.

YF

Post #13828 3rd Feb 2008 10:16 am
jules1967

I agree. For a long run you'd have to go a very long way to beat the Merc. a 200 mile non stop trip is a pleasure. Mine is a 2005 E270cdi so very similar to Yamaha-fan's. I'm on my 3rd merc now so a dyed in the wool merc fan. The mrs had 2 Audi A3 T sports, great fun but a bit harsh and not enjoyable on a run. She swapped the last Audi for a cherokee (current model) 2.5td. Very sloppy so comfortable but so sloppy that on road, and for most of us thats 90% of use, it was almost unpleasant it handled lik a barge and at low revs the engine was so gutless I did wonder what we had bought until I floored it. Even then it sounded like a tractor. The Mrs used to fondly call it her truck and it was an apt description, but I still felt it was nicer than the FL1 (which we had considerd). But none of them I could live with as my own car.

Now the FL2. OK, some of the interior materials aren't quite up there with the merc, but then the merc is supposed to be a limo and the fl2 designed to be easy to clean, I must admit I'm not a fan of the black on green displays they look a bit 1990's Japanese to me and are pretty nasty compared to MB's fancy hi res efforts, and the start button is just silly, but thats all the critisism I can come up with and aside from them being petty nit picking, I am comparing a small 4x4 to a luxury limo. Styling wise I think the FL2 is beautiful. Looking at it out of the window now, it looks both classy and purposeful. Certainly the best looking small 4x4 on the market. The kind of thing you can go mud plugging in during the day and pull up to a fancy resturant at night (in other words a Land Rover).

My merc has the sports setup, so huge wheels and stiffened lowered suspension and handles well, but I reckon the fl2 would easily keep up with it on the twisties. Ride comfort, I think the fl2 might even have it and refinement, noise and general feel - nothing in it. At 80 the fl2 is silent. What really impresses me is the way that despite it's off road credentials and high centre of gravity, the fl2 always feels so well planted. It genuinely reminds me of a Golf GTI, but with a smoother ride. As I say, Im very impressed and would be very happy, when I'm staying local anyway, to leave the merc at home and use the FL instead - only the Mrs won't let me!Wink 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #13838 3rd Feb 2008 12:36 pm
gorjant

Macedonia 

hmmm...I am convinced about the FL2 is great, but I am curious about the new Mercedes GLK which should be out later this year. It is based on the new C-Class and the price will start at 35k EUR...I want to see how it compares to the FL2. I will wait and see...

Post #13844 3rd Feb 2008 4:09 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

An additional vote for the FL2 over the Merc is in my case, my missus is 5'3 and I am 6'4 . I liked the Merc but she didn't like the sitting position at all . I have a C class at the moment and we were looking at the E to replace it hoping she's get on better in the E class. The FL2 is great for both of us . I have it on order and should be behind the wheel at the end of this month. With the memory seat option it'll be great not to have to rearrange the interior every time she's been behind the wheel too Wink So if you are short the merc isn't your friend - the FL2 is much better accomodating for our diverse frame sizes Thumbs Up

Post #13899 4th Feb 2008 4:29 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue
Re: Freelander 2 - first impressions

Hagrid wrote:
the phone integration works well for me (Nokia N73 but I haven't got it to sychronise yet),

I have Nokia N73 too, and the N73 was listed as not so agreeable with the FL2.

I've got it to syncronize, but it wont download my phonebook. Receiving calls, calling out works perfectly.
Now I am only waiting for new software from LR to download, so I can download my phonebook too.

Only trouble I have had so far, is with the wipers. Sometimes they stop almost in the middle of the window. Very anoying. And once the GPS blacked out together with the radio, but turned itself on again after 10 seconds. We also experienced that with our test-car.

Anyone else having had problems with the wipers, or the GPS/Radio turning itself off and on again?

I LOVE MY FL2! Smile 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #13914 4th Feb 2008 8:02 pm
jules1967

VIKING wrote:

Only trouble I have had so far, is with the wipers. Sometimes they stop almost in the middle of the window. Very anoying. And once the GPS blacked out together with the radio, but turned itself on again after 10 seconds. We also experienced that with our test-car.

Anyone else having had problems with the wipers, or the GPS/Radio turning itself off and on again?
I LOVE MY FL2! Smile

I'd have it looked at. Sounds like an electrical fault. Ours hasn't done either and certainly isn't supposed to. Could be a loose connector I suppose but being so electronic these days, a dodgy brake light bulb could open your sunroof! 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #13976 5th Feb 2008 7:41 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

jules1967 wrote:
[I'd have it looked at. Sounds like an electrical fault. Ours hasn't done either and certainly isn't supposed to. Could be a loose connector I suppose but being so electronic these days, a dodgy brake light bulb could open your sunroof!

Oh, and I forgot to mention: When we took pictures of the car with our phone-cams, the car locked.
We tested several times. We opened the doors, took a photo, -and car locked. Strange!

Electrical fault? I suppose I have to make a call to have it checked out..... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #13984 5th Feb 2008 10:30 pm
Skylon

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hello Hagrid,

Congrats. I got my FL2 a late Jan and I must say, my first impression is pretty consistent with your's ... good and bad (well I guess bad as in the "just adequate" sound system and boot space). The main difference I have is that I've got the i6 and although I'm very happy with the power, it is a bit thirsty. But my FL2 is lease package, hence petrol prices don't really impact me Smile

Can I please clarify what you meant by "IPOD integration". Are you simply referring to the aux port? Or does the HSE have some sort of true iPod integration (i.e. control the iPod with the stereo controls besides volume and the display shows track names, etc)? I've got the SE and it only has an aux port.

Thanks.

Post #13992 6th Feb 2008 9:38 am
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

Hagrid wrote:
Hi to all

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to all forum members. I bought my Freelander 2 TD4 HSE on 7 January and your comments really helped me in making my purchasing decision. I’ve covered 2000 miles in the car driving in the Scottish Highlands and for the benefit of anyone else considering buying the Freelander 2 I would like to offer my initial impressions (sorry if they're a bit long winded):

Best wishes, Hagrid

Welcome to the forum Hagrid and a great purchase made. Thumbs Up You will make good use of the automatic wipers in your location. Do you recognise the background in my avatar? Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #14008 6th Feb 2008 8:12 pm
Hagrid

I Pod Connection

Hi Skylon

I bought the optional extra Landrover Ipod connection. It's a small docking station that's mounted on the dash on the driver's door side of the steering wheel. It's fitted by the dealer.

You set the audio input to AUX and its then [possible to control volume and next/previous track from the steering wheel controls - ie basic functions only (as far as I am aware). You need to use the I Pod for more detailed control but then it is very conveniently positioned close to the steering wheel to facilitate this. Hope this helps.

Hagrid

Post #14097 9th Feb 2008 2:30 pm
Hagrid

Freelander 2 at Everest Base Station

Hi wildrover

...only joking. Enjoyed the photos and like that grill on your FL2. I detect some pictures of the Cuillin - and with the sun out too!! I guess taken from somewhere near Sligachan? Hope you enjoyed/are enjoying Skye.

Best wishes

Hagrid

Post #14098 9th Feb 2008 2:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>