Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

EYorkshire wrote:
@ heyho

On the Alpine system it is confusing.
I believe there are 2 systems, Standard and Premium. Later premium systems had DAB fitted and some had single CD storage and some had six.
Then there are three speaker configurations:
1) Base audio with speakers in each door.
2) Mid range audio with the addition of a 'sub' in the boot.
3) High line audio with the addition of three more on the dash (inc the centre) and in each 'C' pillar.

For instance I have 'Premium' fitted, single CD, DAB and Mid range audio.

I am beginning to love Land Rover. When is digital radio not DAB radio - when its installed in a Land Rover.

When is a premium audio system not a premium audio system. When it is a premium audio system but not a high line audio system lol etc etc

So mine is a mid range premium with 6 cd autochanger and no DAB or AM grrrrrrrrr

Post #197786 4th Sep 2013 9:07 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

digital tuning- not DAB, this went on to be called Digital Radio hence your confusion

My old SE had the high grade radio with phone built in, six disc CD, but no DAB, or have the centre speaker or the rear speakers in the pillars, it also didn't have dolby Prologic 5.1 surround sound

That was only available on the HSE,(with DAB been a option when it was released, then standard later on after that) which obviously you should have bought as your not happy with your SE

As for your AM not work thats is a fault Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #197789 4th Sep 2013 10:16 am
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Unnecessary quote removed

Hey I'm really happy with the car. I'm just getting to grips with LR's little anomolies. Sound isn't an issue - Muse sound great with what speakers I've got Very Happy

My real annoyance is the lack of AM given its out of warranty.

Post #197791 4th Sep 2013 10:38 am
frus75

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There is a natural tendency, at least nowadays, to want the low bass frequencies boosted. Low bass has to be there but not in a big way.

Besides, there is a difference between recordings. If I play an Elvis recording like Only the strong survive from 1969 alongside Tom Jones Burning Hell from 2009, the bass response IS very different.

tone controls are ok but they can lead you to an endless round of settings. Our ears are not the same at night, or at midday, and it's not the same going alone at 90km per hour than with the whole family at 120.

And your ears can enter an addictive bass hunger, wanting more and more. The ears get accustomed to a tone level and want more and more. Same happens with volume. You enter the highway and after a couple hours of traveling you make a stop to take a coffe or whatever, then enter the car and the chances are that you'll find the music to be VERY high in volume.

So I have ended leaving everything at default, at 0. And I have chosen the prologic setting, not the 3 channel or stereo, even if with monaural recordings it simply doesn't work.

BTW, I am interested in your choices regarding multichannel settings

Post #227183 15th Jun 2014 2:11 pm
Wireworld

United Kingdom 

I struggled with all the settings on my Meridian 825w in my13whereas my my07 hse with the Alpine system just sounded good from the get go. Like many on here if you trust your own ears newer may not necessarily be better! Confused

Post #227751 23rd Jun 2014 1:50 pm
colsay

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I was amused reading this thread. If you think the Meridian system is poor, you should have a listen to the basic system as I have in my 2014 GS. It really is one of the worst car radios I have ever owned, distortion is significant and overall quality is far worse than my wife's Mini. Yes, it has lots of connectivity in terms of USB, iPod etc but that is no compensation for poor sound quality. Overall I think the car is great but the radio is a big disappointment.

Post #241069 14th Nov 2014 12:48 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Meridian system if you know how to configure it properly.

I appreciate that streaming over bluetooth and using USB as an input source to play MP3/4's will sound tinny and ineffective - this is due to compression.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, is to dig out an old CD (remember them?), configure your audio settings to 'Meridian', rather than DTS/Stereo/ProLogic, turn up the volume, and prepare to be amazed! If you like what is on the CD, then burn it into the virtual jukebox, where it will play back with the same clarity and deep resonance. It will more than likely remind you that iPhones/iPods etc are not really up to the job.

Enjoy..... Cool Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #241076 14th Nov 2014 3:07 pm
IZON

Germany 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

I like the Sound of the Mid Class System, but I made the experience that the sound is much better with a proper spare Wheel in the boot than having this are empty or not completely filled.

Give it a try (if u have'nt a spare wheel) Wink

Post #241077 14th Nov 2014 3:18 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Reminds me that I possibly ought to try listening to the radio in this car I've had for over a year! The standard radio sound on my 07MY GS was so awful compared with my Disco 2 that I got out of the habit of listening to music on it. Must try the Meridian and see if it's any better! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #241137 14th Nov 2014 11:52 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Sounds like (no pun intended) it's worth checking that your sub is working. I have the Meridian set-up on my 13MY XS and it's really good, especially when the engine is not running and your sitting still! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #241169 15th Nov 2014 12:43 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Out and about today , I put on some Deep Purple , the Machine Head album . It was an MP3 file download load from a torrent site ie I didn't rip it. Turned the volume up to just under ear bleeding and the sound was fantastic . I could hear sounds that I could only hear via headphones before, things like tambourines, cymbals and some guitar riffs. As badger said , set it up properly and you can't go far wrong. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #241310 16th Nov 2014 6:16 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I remember in my 2010 HSE the Alpine was a very good system. I had the 825 W Meridian in both my Evoque's & now on my Metropolis & it is fantastic!!

Some older CD's or older stuff through the I-pod sounds better on stereo mode, probably because that was the only thing available then. Newer music sounds best on Meridian mode. The DTS is really for video use & or I guess tracks that are film related. If you use the DTS mode then to get the best effect from that the Bass & Treble should be set to neutral then adjust the Sub accordingly. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #241334 16th Nov 2014 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

Agreed, the Meridian 825w system is probably the best ever fitted to a freelander, and possibly any other car at the same price point. 

Post #242432 26th Nov 2014 1:50 pm
pporocki

Poland 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Santorini Black

Has anyone tried to fit subwoffer from previous Alpine 8 speakers system to the current Meridian 10 speakers system?

Post #254238 21st Feb 2015 3:30 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Why on earth would you possibly want to? Surprised Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #254240 21st Feb 2015 4:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>