« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Second car suggestions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dannyboy

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
Second car suggestions

Currently as well as the FL2 we have a rather beaten up old second car that I use for the station and various other local trips. In April I will be looking to put this one out of its misery and replace it with a new station car. My question is what to get with a budget of £5,000.

A few requirements.
1) Reliable - must be able to trust that it will start on a cold winter morning and not breakdown on the way back from the local tesco. So no suggestions of old sports cars or other classic's
2) Practical - the current car apart from being used for the station also serves as our transport for taking stuff to the tip, shopping run and the occasional local trip out with our dog.
3) Safe - we are expecting our first child soon and whatever will need to be safe enough for me to put the child in (easily) and be sure in my mind that my wife could use it if the FL2 was ever off the road
4) Fun/Fast(ish) - in the past I have had some fun (if not great) cars. My drive to the station is via back roads and sometimes I might need to employ a bit of speed if I am late for the train. So whilst a 1.0 micra might be sensible its not gonna help when I am rushing for the 6.05 train.

So far I have looked at the various things like the reliable Focus, Fiesta and Polo but I am looking to the forum for some more creative suggestions.

Post #14804 27th Feb 2008 10:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

what about a

1)Honda Jazz you can pick a '53' plate up for less thank £5K, with the seats in those it would be a Idea car for Mrs Dannyboy and the new baby, also trips to the tip as all the seats a moveable and you won't dirty the FL2 Very Happy

2)Chrystler PT Cruiser Little bit out there from the norm, but I won't be driving it Rolling with laughter

3)CITROEN C3 1.4i 3dr Pluriel Convertible Roof down fun with the added benifit of moveable seats for the skip run

4)2000 SAAB 9-3 2.0T SE 2dr Convertible Roof down fun with a engine and a better badge, but high mileage

5)2006 SEAT IBIZA 1.9 TDi Cupra 3dr Diesel Hatchback Nice fast car for the train run, with mpg thats good aswell, but would it still be at the station when you get home Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14806 27th Feb 2008 10:53 am
dannyboy

npinks wrote:

5)2006 SEAT IBIZA 1.9 TDi Cupra 3dr Diesel Hatchback Nice fast car for the train run, with mpg thats good aswell, but would it still be at the station when you get home Question

Laughing You looking at the same red one I am on autotrader by any chance ??

Some good suggestions so far - keep um coming.

One from a friend of mine was a Ford KA Sport !!!! - whilst I hear that they got rave reviews I am still not sure about a noddy car.

Post #14810 27th Feb 2008 11:54 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

might have been looking at the same one Embarassed

What about one of these, with you not outright turning down a Sports KA, you might be interest in a

2007 07 Reg AIXAM A751 500cc Super Lux Diesel 3-Dr Auto Only 2,700 miles @ £6k you have to haggle

Stock Photo

Quote:
3 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Diesel, 2,700 miles, Metallic GREY, 1 Owner. Contrasting velour interior, Electric windows, Stereo, Cd player, Remote central locking, Body coloured bumpers and wing mirrors, Front fogs, Rear spoiler, Aixam alloy wheels, Just 1 Owner from new, Only 2,700 miles from new, Full Main Dealer Service History, Low Tax and Insurance Group

No parking worries, just open the breifcase and pop it in on your way to the office Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14811 27th Feb 2008 12:13 pm
dannyboy

npinks wrote:
might have been looking at the same one Embarassed

What about one of these, with you not outright turning down a Sports KA, you might be interest in a

2007 07 Reg AIXAM A751 500cc Super Lux Diesel 3-Dr Auto Only 2,700 miles @ £6k you have to haggle

Stock Photo

Quote:
3 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Diesel, 2,700 miles, Metallic GREY, 1 Owner. Contrasting velour interior, Electric windows, Stereo, Cd player, Remote central locking, Body coloured bumpers and wing mirrors, Front fogs, Rear spoiler, Aixam alloy wheels, Just 1 Owner from new, Only 2,700 miles from new, Full Main Dealer Service History, Low Tax and Insurance Group

No parking worries, just open the breifcase and pop it in on your way to the office Rolling with laughter

I was all ready to buy it over the phone and then I notice it only had two seats......damn

Post #14813 27th Feb 2008 12:23 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

How about a second hand FL2, or even an FL1 Question

............just a thought Confused

Oops, just saw what you budget was Embarassed ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #14819 27th Feb 2008 2:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

There are a few FL1 Sports on Autotrader for under £5K Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14820 27th Feb 2008 2:37 pm
CY

Scotland 

Renault Modus

Bear with me...

1) Reliability: We've owned one for 3 years and not had a single fault. I am also a member of a Renault forum and am not aware of any other Modus owners having any issues.

2)
Practicality: The Modus is regarded as a mini-MPV. This means that it has an incredibly flexible and usable interior. It's interior is a masterpiece. You can have the rear 'bench' on either of 2 positions at any time. One position is the full 3-seat bench layout, providing adequate space. But, by pulling a lever and sliding the seats together, the middle seat disappears and the seats roll backwards between the rear wheels, providing more legroom than any executive saloon I've ever sat in. You can adjust the seats to balance out a perfect combination of legroom and boot space. In 'full 5 seat mode' the boot is first class. The seats tilt, slide, fold and tumble to give leg space, cargo space and shoulder space. No other 'small car' I've seen has such a practical interior.

3)
Safety: The Modus was Euro NCAP's first small car to be awarded 5 stars in the crash test. It still remains one of the top (if not the top) safest small car they have tested to date. It has airbags all round, including side and curtain airbags for added protection.

4)
Fun/Fast: Not the Modus' key purpose but go for the 1.5 or 1.6 engines (diesels offered) to reduce the 0-60 time and add some life. The Modus also boasts one of the most comfortable, smooth and refined rides of any small car, and it's also eerily quiet on long distances. Shocked

Other advantages it holds that are also worth noting are...:

5)
High seating position. You sit taller than other drivers and have a great view out due to the wide and high windscreen and tall slabby side and rear windows.

6) It feels a lot bigger than it is. The interior is so cleverly designed and engineered that there is acres of space all round. There are also convenient cup holders and cubby boxes littered all over every panel and surface. It's really a case of Honey I Shrunk the Espace.

7) It's also very cheap to run and own, with a low insurance group (3) and a frugal range of engine which usually achieve between 50-60 MPG.

Cool Equipment: Even the bog standard basic £8k model has electric windows, "See Me Home" headlamps, driver, front, lateral, passenger and side airbags, Remote locking, 15" wheels and trip computer with large centre digital display. But if you want a bit of class and taste with your motor, the exceptionally good value-for-money £13k Initiale model gives leather interior, climate control, a split folding tailgate, 16" alloys, cruise control, cornering headlights, air conditioning, electric-folding mirrors, light sensing headlamps, rain sensing wipers, fog lamps, rear heating ducts, I could go on....... what I'm trying to say is that you get LOADS of stuff for your money.

9) Second hand: They have been out long enough now that there are plenty on the used market well within your budged to give you plenty of choice.

Don't rule it out Thumbs Up "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #14847 27th Feb 2008 10:26 pm
brian27

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

get what i have for a second car -------------------------170mph sports bike

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #14853 27th Feb 2008 11:43 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

for the more aggressive commuter

Post #14854 27th Feb 2008 11:54 pm
dannyboy

chicken george wrote:
for the more aggressive commuter

Thats more like it. I was intially disappointed with the sensbile (although very helpful) suggests. Cant believe no one had suggested this beauty

Quote:
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 90,000 miles, Metallic BLUE. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Body kit, CD Multichanger, Central locking, Child locks, Climate Control, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Front armrest, Head restraints, Heated screen, Heated seats, Leather seats, Leather upholstery, Metallic paintwork, Power assisted steering, Radio/CD Multichanger, Tinted glass, Full Service History. Insurance Group:20, vehicle just out of storage no mot non runner nice conditin inside & out SENSIBLE OFFERS ONLY needs tlc £4,995

Laughing Laughing

As for the Renualt Modus sounds like a possible...although the amount of details leads me to think that you will soon be replying "do you wanna buy mine ???"

Post #14867 28th Feb 2008 9:56 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

You try be helpful and because you suggest normal cars your suddenly sensible

Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14868 28th Feb 2008 10:21 am
chicken george

or one of these, very useful for moving caravans out of your way Laughing

Post #14870 28th Feb 2008 10:30 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i like the pipped up windows

does it have neon lights underneath as well? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14872 28th Feb 2008 10:35 am
chicken george

ours doesn't have a side or door window as somebody reversed it into a shed!

Post #14873 28th Feb 2008 10:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>