Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Manual or Auto, An Agest Poll!
Whats Your Choice/Age?
Prefer Auto, age under 50
33%
 33%  [35]
Ptefer Auto age over 50
36%
 36%  [38]
Prefer Manual age under 50
15%
 15%  [16]
Prefer Manual age over 50
15%
 15%  [16]
Total Votes: 105

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
Manual or Auto, An Agest Poll!

Just a theory I have !

Please vote regardless of any assumed debate about Freelanders 2 reliability issues. This poll is intended to find out what you prefer to drive!

BTW.....Its just for fun! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Last edited by Kola's Kab on 28th May 2013 11:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #185674 28th May 2013 11:00 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Quote:
Ptefer Auto age over 50
Whistle

T

PS I'm under 50 but would prefer an auto when I get older so thats how I voted.... basically when I CBA Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #185675 28th May 2013 11:10 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Auto under 50 but only by 5 years
switched to auto's 10 years ago and never looked back Thumbs Up BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #185682 29th May 2013 6:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad210358

England 

The Doctor hasn't commented yet, must be undecided Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #185685 29th May 2013 7:50 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Or working out his age Rolling with laughter

Post #185687 29th May 2013 7:56 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

An odd question as it just takes a snapshot in time; i'm in the over 50 bracket but have had Autos for over thirty years, my son has an auto. I bought a manual 2 years previous to the FL and realised what a terrible mistake it was so i'm back on autos.
Its all down to personal preference however most people who want to take the macho view and drive a manual then verbally slating Autos have little or no experience of driving Autos.
Caravan towing is so much easier with an Auto particularly on site and at the caravan storage as reversing in tight spots is a doddle without needing electric manouvering aids.
You pays your money and makes your choice; nobody is right and nobody is wrong!
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #185692 29th May 2013 9:02 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
... most people who want to take the macho view and drive a manual then verbally slating Autos have little or no experience of driving Autos.

The problem on here is that it's generally the auto drivers with the attitude!

I'm not only firmly in the make-up-your-own-mind camp, I make up my own mind differently depending on my lifestyle current at the time. Now I don't do so much city driving I own and prefer a manual (so that's how I voted). But when I used to commute into the city every day we owned one of each, and then I'd use the auto much (but still not all) of the time.

So I prefer a manual in principle, I have plenty of experience of autos, and I don't slate either. I just get annoyed when others (of either camp) try to force their 'my view is best' attitude on us all.

I guess you either 'get' the manual thing, or you don't. If you don't, then enjoy your auto - I used to enjoy ours when we had it, but I don't miss it!

Post #185697 29th May 2013 9:33 am
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I like manual sportier cars, but on the FL2 I found the manual took a lot of effort. This is my first auto and I would have another. Thumbs Up

Post #185704 29th May 2013 10:39 am
j77

Scotland 

I've owned both auto and manual Fl2s, I don't have preference as such each of the cars are excellent to drive.

If I done a lot of towing or off roading then it's auto all the way but as it stands a manual suits my day to day needs. I got a manual PCV licence and spent the whole of my career driving autos. It causes problems at times as when I'm approaching junctions I forget I'm back in a manual and leave it in too high a gear Laughing

If I was forced into a choice I would probably go for the auto, more relaxing and I can make more use of the front armrests Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #185706 29th May 2013 10:55 am
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I'm 25 with a manual black edition.....would have auto tomorrow if given the choice. Defo having auto next time!! 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #185709 29th May 2013 11:30 am
WizzardPrang

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I'm over 50 and have never owned a car with an auto box, although I've driven several belonging to my father-in-law who was obviously a lot older than me. I've always enjoyed the sense of control.

I didn't consider an auto when I bought my Freelander last July, not least because of the additional cost.

Having said all that, I was extremely impressed with the auto MY13 Freelander when I drove it at LRE Luton, that particular combination of auto with terrain Response negates the need for a manual box. Maybe next time? 2020 Defender D200 110S Pangea Green
Gone: 2018 L550, TD4 SE Tech Auto, Carpathian Grey
Gone: Defender 90 200Tdi, Grey Raptor
Gone: 2012 FL2, TD4 GS Manual, Santorini Black

Post #185711 29th May 2013 11:47 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

j77 wrote:
If I done a lot of towing or off roading then it's auto all the way...

For towing, perhaps. But for off-roading, given the choice, I'd still go for a manual with low range and locking or limited slip diffs. That's effectively what I had 20 years ago on the Isuzu, and despite its age that car would still give the FL2 a very good run for its money off road! It also had a manual fast idle control - something which one doesn't seem to come across these days - which meant that for rock crawls or descents one could simply set a speed with the idle control then take the feet off everything and let the car get on with it. Like that it was almost unstoppable, and certainly less hard work than an FL2 would be, auto or manual.

The Forester, too, had low range and limited slip diffs, but it wasn't the same. The low range wasn't anywhere near low enough to control a descent, which rather takes away the point of low range, although it was ideal for low-speed manoeuvring.

Cars like the FL2 do a lot with electronics, but there's a lot to be said for getting the basic 4wd system right, then most of the electronics are simply unnecessary. (The obvious example of which is Defender.)

Post #185712 29th May 2013 12:04 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

under 50, with slight bias to auto (laziness) but it depends on the auto in question. F-Type auto very nice, Evoque flappy paddles very nice. Dislike old floor mounted stick.

Post #185713 29th May 2013 12:08 pm
EYorkshire

The problem on here is that it's generally the manual drivers with the attitude!

I don't give a toss whether you drive a manual or an auto, it's your choice and you chose that option for personal reasons so it is right for you.

Up until 2 years ago I had never driven an auto in my life, still thinking that they were slow in changing, not in the least smooth, fuel sapping, performance draining and suitable for old men only. Well how wrong I was, it suited my needs down to the ground for towing, mixed urban/city driving and generally more relaxed driving of not pushing and lifting that clutch leg continuously in traffic and while towing on rural A/B roads. If there is a downside then the torque converter does upset the fuel economy a little but then again I didn't buy this car for economy.

Whatever suits you, your lifestyle, your driving habits and your wallet Thumbs Up

Post #185716 29th May 2013 12:18 pm
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

What if you're 50?

Post #185719 29th May 2013 12:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>