Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Potential buyer with a couple of questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

chrisr1806 wrote:

Yanwoo, where is the sport button? (I've had my Freelander since July and I thought I had worked everything out!) Embarassed

No Sport button but if you have an automatic, then move the gear selector to the left when in Drive and it will give you Sports mode and also the ability to Command Shift the gears manually.

Post #180945 19th Apr 2013 5:37 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Cheers. Thumbs Up

Post #180946 19th Apr 2013 5:43 pm
snerkler

Thanks again for the replies, very helpful.

It does appear that the sport mode does only change the gear shift points, and not mapping etc (according to this anyway)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #180953 19th Apr 2013 7:38 pm
EYorkshire

Read this for a more detailed explanation, page 17 onwards for the interesting bits.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...iption.PDF

Post #180957 19th Apr 2013 7:50 pm
snerkler

EYorkshire wrote:
Read this for a more detailed explanation, page 17 onwards for the interesting bits.

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...iption.PDF

Thanks for that, interesting. Will have a proper read through later. However, from this it says the same in that the only thing that changes is the gear change mapping which allows it to hold onto gears longer, and downshift more readily. It doesn't appear that there's any changes to throttle response or power delivery. Unless of course I've missed something obvious, which knowing me is quite possible Laughing

Post #180958 19th Apr 2013 7:59 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Have this on mine and its quite handy, the wife likes a Manual so if she drives the freely (What ain't often if i can help it) she uses the sport mode for the gear shift - she as the same on her range rover evoque but its a flappy paddle on the stearing wheel BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Last edited by Slaneydore on 19th Apr 2013 8:11 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #180959 19th Apr 2013 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

@ snerkler
That's right, the mapping is predetermined and kept within the optimum torque band although I feel it changes up to late when flooring it as it will red line and for a diesel there is no need.

There is also a 'kickdown' but does not need to be used and is too 'rev happy', also in 'normal mode' the box will learn your driving style though so changes are not set in concrete.

BTW if you want a change to throttle response and power delivery then 'Sand Mode' in Terrain Response will give you that, it's like the Freely's on steroids but not recommended too often.

Post #180960 19th Apr 2013 8:09 pm
snerkler

Unnecessary quote removed

To be honest, I use all 'auto' boxes in sequential/manual mode, I'm too much of a control freak Whistle
I need to do my research into the train response modes, but why is it not a good idea to use sand mode too often? Is it because it will kill the diff before too long?

Post #180964 19th Apr 2013 8:20 pm
c_r_a_i_g

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Mate,

I'm impressed with the auto, on country roads in sport mode it will change down as your braking into corners, and seems generally more responsive. I'm guessing that has to do with auto keeping the car generally at higher revs - so that the turbo is already spooled up ready to go. I generally drive in Sport mode, just because regular seems to labour the motor to much and gets caught flat footed, which results and changing to a stupidly low gear. So generally sport mode and when you get to your desired speed hit the cruise on - so it changes up. Sport mode also seems to not jump down to a ridiculously low gear like regular mode, just keep off the dreaded kickdown switch - you'll feel that just before your foot hits the carpet.

Post #180981 20th Apr 2013 3:10 am
snerkler

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

Post #180986 20th Apr 2013 7:27 am
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

I've found the steering to be solid and sure footed. It's quite light and there's some feedback but not a great deal.

The feedback on my Alfa wasn't that great to be honest, had a very playstation feel to it, so I'm probably not the best judge given these are the only two cars I've owned Shocked FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #181055 20th Apr 2013 6:18 pm
Landylady

United Kingdom 

Have just moved to the Freelander from a performance estate. The steering certainly does feel a lot more vague than I have been used to, but all the 4x4's I tested were similar in that respect - the Freelander was the best of the bunch. I have got used to the slight loss of feedback quite quickly. It was definitely the most 'solid' feeling on the road, and most importantly for me didn't just drive like a car on stilts! As others have said, auto box is great, find it just as good as my previous DSG box and use the manual mode a fair bit.

Post #181086 20th Apr 2013 11:12 pm
snerkler

Thanks. Again, useful info Thumbs Up

Post #181095 21st Apr 2013 8:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123