Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Two flat tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

Two flat tyres

I leave my wheels on over winter but raise the van on axle stands to stop the tyres from deformation from loading them in one spot for months on end.
Anyway, at the weekend I went to remove the axle stands but found both tyres flat Evil or Very Mad I took them to the local tyre man but no punctures Smile , it was the wheel trims that had forced the rubber valve slightly to one side allowing a leak of air over the winter.
New valves and a bit of bending of the wheel trim retaining wire and all was OK.

Just a reminder for those who are not posh and don't have alloys Thumbs Up

.... just out of interest, what do you guys do with your wheels/tyres over winter Question

Post #180537 17th Apr 2013 10:02 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Part of my regime is checking tyres before towing

Never raised them off the floor though, normally increase the pressure over winter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #180543 17th Apr 2013 10:46 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Standard pressure on mine is 62psi anyway. I let them over winter as is, although I do move the van a couple of times. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #180566 17th Apr 2013 1:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

been twin axle my psi was 36 till i had the weight plate increased to 1800kg then they new plate said 39psi

hope fully they will be all ok, its parked on gravel type surface so not as hard as concrete drive etc (that's my theory anyway Laughing ) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #180570 17th Apr 2013 1:21 pm
EYorkshire

I think yours being a twin axle Nick helps spread the static load a little better than our singles. Thumbs Up

I had new tyres last year and standard pressure is 42 psi but it's a good job I did have it on axle stands as I would have had two with permanent lumps at the bottom, most likely damaged beyond repair.

A few years back on another van I left mine resting on it's tyres without moving over the winter and first trip out there was a vibration through the car, the tyre fitter said the reinforced sidewall had been damaged and the tyre was ovalled, he couldn't balance it out.

If mine was at home and not in storage I think I would just move it a fraction periodically.

Post #180573 17th Apr 2013 1:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i would have moved mine if it wasn't for the fact i have alko secure wheel locks on each wheel on one side, i already have to jack it up to fit one of them, never mind, doing it to rotate a tyre and refit, in winter Confused

I normally check pressure and take it easy for the first 10 miles, till the tyres are up to temp, this year i am hoping my tyrepal will have enough range to go on the caravan wheels and have the receiver in the car up front, i also have a laser type thermometer to check for overheating wheels when i pull up to double check everything. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #180576 17th Apr 2013 1:48 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This towing lark on here is a bit too technical for me...I've always just looked to see if they're ok Laughing

EY you sure CG hasn't been round your ends recently? (someone had to make the first joke!) Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #180584 17th Apr 2013 2:44 pm
EYorkshire

haha, if he has I will do the ever popular 'Taken' quote on him Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
I know who you are, I've seen you on the forum, I don't know what you want or where you live but if you mention 'vaners' ever again I have to tell you that I do have a very particular set of skills.

Skills I have acquired as a member of Freel2.com, caravan towing skills, detailing skills, GPS fitting skills and tractor muck avoidance skills that make me a nightmare for chicken farmers like you.

If you log off now that will be the end of it, I will not look for you and I will not visit you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you.......and I will set up my caravan outside of your house with a gas barbecue.

Post #180597 17th Apr 2013 3:29 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Laughing Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #180599 17th Apr 2013 3:52 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I remove our wheels, when we put the caravan away for the winter, draining water systems, removing the bedding etc. The hubs are then fitted with winter wheels, which are really just plates bolted on, instead of wheels. The wheels are then stored in the garage over winter, where they aren't exposed to frost.

Post #180886 18th Apr 2013 10:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1