Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tuning Box - Better than remap?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pmcg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Tuning Box - Better than remap?

I noticed someone selling a second hand tuning box on ebay. They gave it rave reviews.

Found this website, which I think is the same as the ebay item:

http://www.dieseltuner.co.uk/

What does the rest of the forum think?

Post #14286 16th Feb 2008 12:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have seen thing like this before and don't think they are worth the money and seriously looked into it on my previous car I looked at a company called "tuneit"

IMO the FL2 doesn't need any extra power for everyday motoring in the UK

The new ones come with a 12 month engine warranty, but the eBay item wouldn't i presume due to it been second hand

I wouldn't expect a eBayer to sell something on there and say it was Sh Censored te, look for independent reviews, (not on the manufacturers website)

It is also a quick way to throw away any warranty that LR are giving the engine aswell Shocked

I would then speak to the guys over on RRS/disco3 who sponsor the site 10forcash (runs Torque tune) and Turbochip solutions if you want to get more power Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14289 16th Feb 2008 1:11 pm
pmcg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I have heard similar problems with Tuneit.

However, I have also heard that this outfit, Diesel Tuner Systems, are very good.

The key advantage of this system to a remap is that you as the owner are in charge of the installation. It can be fitted and removed as required without the need to refer back to the company that carried out the software update. In addition, it will not be wiped out by any future Land Rover software upgrades.

Post #14299 17th Feb 2008 10:52 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There are big differences.

A tuning box quite simply intercepts the signal from the ECU and in effect tells the fuel pump that the pump pressure has not been acheived and it increases it, hence more power.

The down sides to this are that all the safety parameters within the management system are bypassed. But they can be unplugged and there is no evidence that they were ever installed. As well as the FL2, I also own an Astra 1.9 CDTi and the tuning box's on these engines have always been very reliable. DTUK is the best place to go for tuning box's.

In my honest opinion, re-mps are much better and safer. A re-map takes the original engine map and alters fuel pressure, boost pressure and injector timing while still keeping things within the factory safety levels. A system like Superchips Bluefin, allows you to re-install the standard map at any time. Also, should there be any factory software upgrades, the Bluefin can read the new software and Superchips will alter your re-map to suit.

Like everything though, if you abuse a car with a re-map, or a box you will get problems, but if you treat it with respect, you should never have a problem. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #31116 15th Nov 2008 10:40 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dont forget our site sponsor 'bells' At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #31117 15th Nov 2008 10:57 pm
MVS

Most, but not all in-line tuning boxes are an elaborate box with a 2p resistor inside that fools the ECU into over-fueling to increase power, which the Lambda sensor then corrects for. They increase power and generally fuel consumption also.

Good remaps are usually better as they can properly control the engine if correctly done.

They can increase power safely & economy as most manufacturers maps have to account for all markets worldwide and a vast variation in fuel quality.

Here in the UK our diesel is good, and a good remap can easily be done to increase power and economy.

Turbochip do a good one for D3's which even some Land rover dealers we're offering when I had my Disco, they would even replace it if it got wiped, & for free, see the sister D3 forum. However they don't seem to offer anything for the Ford PSA 2.2 in the FL2 sadly or else I would have been on the blower to them by now.

As with any performance upgrade, this generally necessitates more maintenance, and oil changes are recommended to be done more often if a power upgrade is used as turbo diesels tend to destroy their oil rapidly at the best of times.

Post #31124 15th Nov 2008 11:34 pm
Mav71

MVS wrote:

As with any performance upgrade, this generally necessitates more maintenance, and oil changes are recommended to be done more often if a power upgrade is used as turbo diesels tend to destroy their oil rapidly at the best of times.

Thats not so true these days, if you abuse it then yes your correct, but most management systems and mechanics can handle more than standard power/torque as the durability testing of these powertrains are very high. I do 30/35000 miles a year in my work car, now being a Signum 1.9 CDTi 150, although this one is not mapped, my last Astra/Signum and Vectra's were all mapped and never had one issue. But again, treat them with respect and they will give no problems.

Regarding re-maps, if your thinking of re-mapping your FL2, the only company I would consider using is Superchips. They actually own an FL2 and spent months on development. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #33810 2nd Jan 2009 10:06 am
MVS

Considering the 'minimum' quality of the oil the main dealers use (see 2 stroke thread & others) I would still change the oil more frequently if I were to use a power upgrade as I have on previous cars. If not I would use a better spec oil on the factory schedule as much for peace of mind as anything else.

I do like crawling about under my cars though Razz and it takes less than an hour Laughing

Post #33813 2nd Jan 2009 10:33 am
Mav71

MVS wrote:
Considering the 'minimum' quality of the oil the main dealers use (see 2 stroke thread & others) I would still change the oil more frequently if I were to use a power upgrade as I have on previous cars. If not I would use a better spec oil on the factory schedule as much for peace of mind as anything else.

I do like crawling about under my cars though Razz and it takes less than an hour Laughing

Thats a fair point Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #33829 2nd Jan 2009 1:08 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Quote:
The down sides to this are that all the safety parameters within the management system are bypassed.

This isn't true, as the engine management system still has the same safety parameters set, if a tuning box is set too high, it will exceed those safety parameters & flag a fault, usually of fuel rail pressure deviation too great.
The tuning box is designed to work within these parameters, but obviously at the upper end, instead of the lower.

Quote:
Most, but not all in-line tuning boxes are an elaborate box with a 2p resistor inside that fools the ECU into over-fueling to increase power, which the Lambda sensor then corrects for. They increase power and generally fuel consumption also.

Tuning boxes on common rail diesel engines can't function if they are "2p resistors". Most now are digital & use a microprocessor, as even the older analogue ones don't react fast enough & cause fault codes/limp home.
Diesels don't have a lambda sensor. As for fuel consumption, well usually you find that the econimy is better as you tend to have more torque for normal driving. If you drive it flat out all the time, then the increased power uses more fuel, but on average, they usually save fuel.

The problem with a tuning box is it can only vary fuel quantity, (but does it extremely well), so is not so good an option as remapping. The advantage is it's quick & easy to fit ( & remove), is undetectable when removed, & you can reflash the main ecu for the manufacturers improvements, which are sometimes quite great, in terms of driveability.
A remap should be the best idea, BUT, there are a huge amount of remaps which haven't been even tried on a vehicle, some have had a basic remap, then the vehicle put on a rolling road & then fiddled with. Very few have had the man hours spent on them that they should.
When the manufacturer updates it's management software, this should be the benchmark to then improve on, thus you reflash your ecu with updated software, then give that to the remapper, to put their tune back on. Time consuming, & has to be paid for, either by the original cost of your remap, or additional charges.

Regards
Steve

Post #33853 2nd Jan 2009 5:00 pm
MVS

Quote:
Tuning boxes on common rail diesel engines can't function if they are "2p resistors". Most now are digital & use a microprocessor, as even the older analogue ones don't react fast enough & cause fault codes/limp home.
Diesels don't have a lambda sensor. As for fuel consumption, well usually you find that the econimy is better as you tend to have more torque for normal driving. If you drive it flat out all the time, then the increased power uses more fuel, but on average, they usually save fuel.

I realise this and was generalising wildly. Wink As spotting the good sytems from the poor ones is a minefield for the average punter

I had the Piggy Back Ralliart system on my last Shogun which did as you describe increase fuel efficiency by increasing torque for general driving and the car felt all the better for it. The difference being it was supplied fitted, and warranted by the UK Mitsubishi Importers.

Post #33860 2nd Jan 2009 5:43 pm
Mav71

The good thing about Superchips Bluefin, is that if the dealer re-flashes the ECU with the latest Land Rover Software, you simply re-read the ECU with Bluefin and Superchips will then re-do your re-map based on the new software free of charge.

The fact that Superchips bought and still own an FL2 TD4 for the development speaks loads to me. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #33892 2nd Jan 2009 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1