Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Portugal Car Hire

Have any of you ever hired a car in Portugal

Going there in May for a couple of weeks and may look into getting a hire car

Can't remember the location of the villa i have got, but its about 30 minutes from Faro airport, so it will have to be company that has office in that general area.

Cheers in advance Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14128 11th Feb 2008 9:01 pm
brian27

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Re: Portugal Car Hire

npinks wrote:

Can't remember the location of the villa i have got, but its about 30 minutes from Faro airport, so it will have to be company that has office in that general area.

Cheers in advance Thumbs Up

i hired a car 2 years ago in portugal i got it from avis at the airport we stayed in a villa just outside albuferra and i must say the roads were pretty good motorway nearly all the way 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #14132 11th Feb 2008 9:46 pm
muddywheels

England 
Re: Portugal Car Hire

npinks wrote:

Cheers in advance Thumbs Up

I have been to the area a lot - used different car hire each time for best price. Look at http://www.travelsupermarket.com/travelmer...?package=6 for best prices.

Loads of places at airport!

Post #14171 13th Feb 2008 3:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

cheers for the link Muddywheels, never thought they did car hire price search

Getting rates of 661 for a 7 seater which isn't bad at all Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14175 13th Feb 2008 6:31 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Auto Jardim are the biggest of the local companies and have offices in most of the main tourist areas. I think they have a tie up with Holiday Autos in UK and it is usually cheaper to book here although they often have 'special deals' on local bookings.

I used them last year, car delivered to hotel and collected from hotel with no hassle.

Post #14713 25th Feb 2008 10:53 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Have just been out to Fuerteventura, and hired a car through Europcar. It was part of a deal when we booked the holiday so don't know how their rates compare with the other big firms.
What I can say though was, although we only paid for a Fiat punto or similar, I was going to enquire about an upgrade when I got there, but didn't have to because they upgraded for free up to a Seat Altea 1.9 td, and it was virtually new as well. It is not the first time I have used them, and I remember in the past getting decent motors off of them
I did notice round the resorts some "cheaper" hire firms, but looking at some of their cars there was visible damage, the odd kinked wheel etc and I wouldnt have given them the time of day,
I guess it will be the same in Portugal so good luck.

ps I also remember a few years back hiring a Renault Megane in Gran Canaria, and believe it or not Avis came up with one of the best prices so I used them.

Post #14782 26th Feb 2008 8:41 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have always used Europcar on my travels for a few reasons, they are a big name in the rental world so that gives a piece of mind that standards should be ok, they have a good fleet of cars and plenty of options, and my favourite is that getting an free upgrade is easy.

In around 30 rentals (most in the UK) over the past few years I've managed to have the mojority upgraded for free. Book a full size (passat sized car) and you can easily get it upgraded to a C-Class.

Now compare that to my frequent flyer card with KLM, where I have been a Platinum member for the past 4 years and have never received a free upgrade!!!! Airlines suck!

Post #14785 26th Feb 2008 8:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1