Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > MY2013 vs MY2010 - some thoughts on the new motor.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Paul Arthur

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
MY2013 vs MY2010 - some thoughts on the new motor.

So I've had the new MY2013 SD4 HSE auto for a week now and thought I'd take the time to post a few pictures of the new beast and also to give my views on the differences.

So firstly, let's look at the exterior:

It looks pretty much the same as the old one, of course, but I did add the spoiler, which I'm very pleased with, and the larger wheels and privacy glass improve the look from the side and particularly the back in the case of the privacy glass. The window now looks like it is the full width of the car, which it doesn't when you can see the rear posts through the glass. I'm not completely sold on the chrome band that is now the full width of the car, but then the grey plastic of the previous version was quite dated, so it's a nice update I suppose.

Of course the best exterior change is the signature LED lights.

The lights themselves seem plenty bright enough for me, and I love the look of them when I arrive back at the car and unlock it (the signature strip comes on when you unlock the car). There is an audible clunk when the lens changes position when full beam is engaged, and because of that change, blipping the full beams isn't quite as easy and there's corresponding resistance on the indicator stalk.

When you double lock the car, there's less of a noise from the car locks than there used to be, but there is an audible peep from somewhere in the car to let you know that you've fully locked the car. It's not very loud though, so you can't do it as you're walking away from the car as you can't hear it.

Now on to the interior.

I love the new screen in between the speed dial and rev counter. It provides a whole heap of extra information that used to be displayed elsewhere, and even shows navigation directions if you are using the Nav at the time. I like the fact that we now have a representation of where the wheels are in grass/gravel/snow on the terrain response, especially helpful in this weather.

I'm such a sucker for gimmicks too - when you start the ignition, the two analogue dials come alive with a little demo:

http://flic.kr/p/e6h49S

As for the Stereo, Sat Nav, and Phone:

The Sat Nav is now much better that it was on the MY2010 - despite looking smarter and the voice being more natural, the rerouting around traffic seems to be more reliable and gives more information than it did before, destination entry and route selection takes fewer steps allowing you to get moving more quickly.

The centre console looks much smarter without the buttons for the phone and they're still available through the touch screen if you need them. The phone itself is much improved. I found on the previous incarnation that I would struggle to hear the person on the other end of the line as I couldn't turn up the volume loud enough. Now I can turn it up much louder, making the person on the other end easily audible. The phone book is also redesigned and it groups multiple numbers for the same contact, so if you have several numbers for most people, you aren't scrolling forever to find them.

One thing that annoyed me about the old car was that it had a DVD player for the navigation, but it wouldn't play DVDs. This new nav system has a hard drive for its data, so it would be entirely reasonable to not have any way of playing DVDs at all. Not so though, as I can play DVDS using the player in the dash. This makes waiting around at the station for the missus far more pleasant! The function to record up to 10 cds is also very useful for some, although I use the music on my phone, so it has limited use to me.

As for ipod integration, this is now possible via the USB port between the two front seats, or via bluetooth. Bluetooth connection is occasionally a little sketchy, so I prefer to use the USB port and charge the phone while i am at it. You should note if you have a recent iPhone that this USB port is quite low voltage and doesn't charge as quickly as an adapter in the cigar lighter. Another benefit of using the USB connection is that you can scroll through and select your music using the dash rather than needing to root around on the phone - much better for avoiding being told off by the police!

In theory the speakers are much better on the new car, although I can't say I notice a huge difference to be honest given I don't listen to anything all that loudly. The addition of DAB radio is a plus, and it is nice and clear and easy to tune.

Right. Now on to the driving experience. In this cold weather I have really enjoyed the heated steering wheel - unnecessary perhaps, but still a pleasant surprise on this model. The heated seats are just as warm as they ever where, although I much prefer the design of the leather in the new model - I don't know whether this is because I've gone up to an HSE or whether its down to the upgrade of the interior.

The control for the light has moved from the right hand side near the door to the indicator stalks - no better really, but takes a little getting used to. They have been replaced by a little cubby hole on the right, and I can't really see what it could be used for - I know you can put the key in there, but that usually stays in my pocket.

The washer jets now come on for a fixed minimum period when you blip them - this will probably mean that I'll have to fill up the reservoir more often. Oh well.

The suspension feels a little stiffer to me, but I do have larger wheels, so it could be down to that.

I don't like the system that lets me speak to the car. It's like a poor man's version of Siri. I tried to input a postcode over the weekend for the satnav and it took five minutes before I gave up and typed it in. The conversation goes like this:

Me: Navigation
Car: Navigation
Me: Navigate to
Car: Navigate to
Me: Postcode
Car: You can't, you haven't agreed to that stupid disclaimer saying that Landrover aren't liable if you crash whilst using the satnav
Me: FFS.

Disclaimer agreed

Me: Navigation
Car: Navigation
Me::Navigate to
Car: Navigate to
Me: Postcode
Car: Say the first part of the postcode or change area
Me: B27
Car: Select from the following - E27 EC7
Me: What??? Oh, it seems to only be looking at London postcodes. Go back
Car Say the first part of the postcode or change area
Me: Change area
Car: Where are you going?
Me: Midlands
Car: Say the first part of the postcode or change area
Car: Select from the following: B27
Car: Say the next digit in the postcode
Me: 6
Car: Now say the road name
Me: FFS. I give up.

This all seems very silly since you can just type a postcode in, I don't see why you can't just say it too. I won't be using the system again. It sucks.

All round I feel that it's a much tighter car, and it does feel more luxurious. The Auto gearbox is smooth and quiet and it is a pleasure to drive. I'm very happy with it and glad that I made the change. I am so far getting pretty poor Mpg in the city, but that's expected to begin with. I did a motorway journey to London on Friday and got a respectable 37.5 mpg with the cruise control taking me there at 70 all the way.

I'll post more thoughts as I have them, but that's it for now. MY2013 SD4 Auto HSE in Santorini Black, Rear Spoiler, Privacy Glass, and Union Jack valve caps.

Previously MY2010 TD4e XS in Lago Grey, Full leather pack

Post #177385 26th Mar 2013 12:20 pm
EYorkshire

Nice review Thumbs Up
Just to clarify, you can watch a film via the DVD slot Question

Post #177388 26th Mar 2013 12:40 pm
Paul Arthur

Oh yes, sorry, i got distracted. You can watch a DVD. It's not the best quality however and the colours are a little odd. MY2013 SD4 Auto HSE in Santorini Black, Rear Spoiler, Privacy Glass, and Union Jack valve caps.

Post #177389 26th Mar 2013 12:42 pm
EYorkshire

Yeah, most probably the resolution of the screen. Two more questions Smile

Where the old Terrain Response knob was, is that a slightly depressed cubby or just flat trim now with no use. The two pics seem to show it slightly differently or it may be the light.

Signature lights, I see this can be an option Exclamation So what are the daytime running lights.

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet but thinking of swapping mine in before the warranty runs out next Feb.

Post #177390 26th Mar 2013 12:50 pm
Paul Arthur

It's a little cubby - about 1cm deep, slightly larger than an iPhone 5...

I don't know what the Daytime running lights are like on the lower spec cars....The signature lights come as standard on an HSE. MY2013 SD4 Auto HSE in Santorini Black, Rear Spoiler, Privacy Glass, and Union Jack valve caps.

Post #177391 26th Mar 2013 12:59 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Great review, thanks for taking the time. Thumbs Up

Would you mind me asking how much?

Post #177395 26th Mar 2013 1:28 pm
Paul Arthur

Well including the extras, the GAP insurance and the Supaguard it should have been £39,850 or something, and I got it for £34,090 MY2013 SD4 Auto HSE in Santorini Black, Rear Spoiler, Privacy Glass, and Union Jack valve caps.

Post #177396 26th Mar 2013 1:31 pm
wizking

Excellent deal and lovely looking car. What didn't you get that you would have if opted for the Lux? (I believe this is now the top of range)

Post #177397 26th Mar 2013 1:35 pm
Paul Arthur

Windsor leather seats (whatever they are) 19" wheels, Xenon headlights, Rear camera, memory seats for passenger and thicker carpet mats.

I don't really want any of that (except perhaps the wheels), so I'm happy to save myself a couple of grand. MY2013 SD4 Auto HSE in Santorini Black, Rear Spoiler, Privacy Glass, and Union Jack valve caps.

Post #177399 26th Mar 2013 1:40 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I could never agree to the navigation disclaimer so it wouldnt let me use it.
Waste of time having one. Wink

Post #177400 26th Mar 2013 1:43 pm
wizking

Thanks paul. Maybe I might have a little look about!

Post #177401 26th Mar 2013 1:47 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

great review Paul, much appreciated I'm sure by a lot of members, thanks

Iain

Post #177402 26th Mar 2013 1:47 pm
Ninocass

Loving the signature lights, need to see about a retrofit!

Post #177406 26th Mar 2013 2:15 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The signature lights are the DRL's. Lower spec cars without the signature lights have the small spot lamp type lights, as on yours, but these are on permanently on the inner part of the light cluster AFAIK.

Aren't 18's standard on the HSE anymore, as well as the spoiler? Penny pinching from LR I think.

My mouth dropped when you said 39k...34 sounds much better!

I'm not such a fan of the new dials, the speedo and rev counter already look a bit dated Confused Screen in the middle's a good change though. Our '09 has the front wheel steering position in the different TR modes though.

Nice car though Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #177411 26th Mar 2013 3:29 pm
Paul Arthur

Yes, 18" are standard, but the lux has 19". And no, the spoiler isn't standard anymore - it's a £150 option or a £450 dealer fit option. MY2013 SD4 Auto HSE in Santorini Black, Rear Spoiler, Privacy Glass, and Union Jack valve caps.

Post #177412 26th Mar 2013 3:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>