« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > External Mac Bluray Reader/Writer,
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
External Mac Bluray Reader/Writer,

I am thinking of ripping all my movies to get them on my mac mini and new hard drive, to make easier watching via Apple TV

I have various BluRays and DVD's , but having a Mac Mini it has no Drive to do this Sad

I want a fast way to do this, I have Ethernet, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt slots available

Any advice on a good external blueRay drive to rip them, and what program to use on my Mac

This is for my own private collection to store my disc digitally and not to share around breaking copyright laws Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172383 20th Feb 2013 12:55 pm
fisha

should just be a case of finding a usb3 external drive. by the way, ripping a Blu-ray takes ages ( i.e. hours) according to most sites.

personally, i'd be looking at connecting an optical drive via usb and an external hdd via the firewire that way your transferring the data from the Blu-ray onto a spare drive which does all the hard work and has plenty of space. iirc a bluray takes upto 50Gb per movie

Post #172449 20th Feb 2013 9:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have 4 usb3.0 ports, but they are 5gb/sec, thunderbolt is 10gb/sec so was thinking a thunderbolt optical reader would be better, but most things thunderbolt are quiet expensive

Wonder if there's Ethernet Bluray drives Confused

Not sure on sizes, when ripping the bluray movies, downloading a movies from itunes is about 4gb Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172454 20th Feb 2013 9:40 pm
kuaka

United States 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Barolo Black

While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.

You'll be fine with USB 3.0. Even Thunderbolt won't make it any faster as the limitation lies within the drive and disc itself as opposed to the transport method. Heck Firewire or USB 2.0 would probably come close to the maximum transfer speed as it is. 2013 LR2 HSE LUX: 2.0L I4; Barolo Black, Ebony Windsor Leather; Navigation, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Pack, Piano Black Trim.

Post #172469 20th Feb 2013 10:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thank you, that's makes sense, been looking at guides and now I don't know if I can be arsed, might just search Netflix or XBMC for it Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172470 20th Feb 2013 10:43 pm
Ooma

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I have 4 usb3.0 ports, but they are 5gb/sec, thunderbolt is 10gb/sec so was thinking a thunderbolt optical reader would be better, but most things thunderbolt are quiet expensive

Wonder if there's Ethernet Bluray drives Confused

Not sure on sizes, when ripping the bluray movies, downloading a movies from itunes is about 4gb

If you are not just copying a file from bluray, you need to transcode the files to a lower quality/bit-rate. Essentially the iTunes format is more like an MPEG-4 level of encoding at a lower bit rate. So you won't get blu ray quality, but it takes up less space and still looks ok. Therefore it comes down to your expectations on video quality...

I wouldn't get too het up about transfer speeds from external drive to the mac for transcoding if that's what you do. The bottle neck is often the transcoding process and not the transfer process. Transcoding videos is very CPU intensive and will take all you CPU can throw at it until it is done.. this will depend on the transcoder of course, so it does vary. It also depends on single or two pass transcoding. The first does the best it can, the second takes a look at it first to do its best between quality and compression.

When converting DVD's to apple formats at home I have used Handbrake because it is free. On a PC you need a separate decrypter, but on a Mac it comes with it.! there are plenty of converters out there to choose form though.

Cheers,
Mike '08 Freelander 2 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Premium, Climate and Clear View packs.

Post #172572 21st Feb 2013 6:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I read that you need to transfer to MKV format using one program, then convert that to mp4 which I think said you could do at 1080p but for those with normal eyes 720p was just as good but 15% the size

Starting to think buying them again in iTunes will be easier and less time consuming Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172581 21st Feb 2013 6:55 pm
sparkybaz

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

you want a prog called img burn,it will do 1:1 copies and is free,just do a google search.i'm in the process of doing my collection to an external hdd for a home server setup,usually do one per night ,leave it on when you go to bed in the morning its done.
if you need advise p.m me

Post #172630 22nd Feb 2013 7:16 am
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I use handbrake as well, I also have a Mac mini , I use a liteon DVD drive, it's a two stage process, stage loafs the date into the program, stage 2 , exports the finished item to the chosen destination , total c1hr in total. I now need a larger external hd to finish the rest of my film. The blue rays I just have on the shelf, I will convert them when it becomes more cost effective.. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #179218 8th Apr 2013 1:07 pm
ozzoright

bambi68 wrote:
I use handbrake as well, I also have a Mac mini , I use a liteon DVD drive, it's a two stage process, stage loafs the date into the program, stage 2 , exports the finished item to the chosen destination , total c1hr in total. I now need a larger external hd to finish the rest of my film. The blue rays I just have on the shelf, I will convert them when it becomes more cost effective..

Handbrake isn't bad, I've used it before and works pretty well. If you want to "fine tune" the video for portable devices like iPhone, iPad, etc., try AppGeeker

It defeats the DVD encryption and will rip to any format/ device you require.

Try it out and at least you will be able to see exactly what the converted files should look like.

Post #190801 9th Jul 2013 1:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1