« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Photo storage on hard drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Photo storage on hard drive

I have just purchased a new 3TB hard drive after finding my 500gb Mac Mini was nearly full Shocked

I will transfer all my music and videos on to it, with itunes, but i was thinking what the best way for the photos to be stored, at the moment

I take a picture, I import the RAW file using iPhoto, this then either goes into a standard folder for photo, or I make a folder if it was for something specific, that way unedited photos are easy accessable and i can find the raw if i want to play around in photoshop, stream to the Apple TV etc

It seem a little messy, what do others do? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172231 19th Feb 2013 2:19 pm
taztastic

England 

Take pictures, go through RAW files and select the ones that pass the grade, I keep them all, very rarely bin any unless they are completely useless.
Edit the best of the keepers and place them in a folder in " my pictures" this is synced with a NAS drive so can be viewed and accessed remotely.

Post #172232 19th Feb 2013 2:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think the mac allows networking of a folder too, so that might be an idea for remote access

I will have to take my time and go through all my photos, it wasn't long ago i deleted 50gb of Censored photos, pictures from work etc that gets sync because i use my iphone to snap some shots for work

I have folders and folder of old photos, that will be transferred to it, freeing up space, and the keepers from a days shooting will be transferred, but thinking of keeping a set on the local drive, for editing in PS Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172233 19th Feb 2013 2:32 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hard for me to say about Macs by for my deflection I use lightroom in raw locally removing what I don't need then sync to my server.... as a backup I swap and off site removable disks each week.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #172235 19th Feb 2013 2:53 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Either

Backup onto the 3tb drive using Time Machine or clone software.
Unplug the internal HD permanently and set the 3tb as the start up drive.

Or

If you can install a larger internal HD then do that and use the 3tb as a backup using time machine.

Or

Move photo library to the new drive. I think (not by my Mac) hold option key when starting up iPhoto and select where the library folder is. I'm sure you can do the same for iTunes.

Never trust your photos ect on one drive though. Always have a backup.

Post #172242 19th Feb 2013 3:46 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Forget about storing backups on a computer, put the videos and pictures on a DVD disk. All it needs is for a computer to crash and you have lost everything. Believe me I should know when I had a hard drive crash through bad manufacture and lost well over 3000 clients and their details, then you really start to panic. the guy in the computer shop local to me came to the rescue and managed to extract the data. it was he who said about the hard drive with the error code not just my say so.

GET EVERYTHING IMPORTANT BACKED UP WELL AWAY FROM ANY COMPUTER USE A DVD DISK.
Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #172243 19th Feb 2013 4:12 pm
minolta mad

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Once ive edited my raw files i keep them in the original folder but also keep an 8 bit Tiff file (in case i need to edit it in the future) and a full size jpeg file.
I bin any raw files that dont make the grade. Im quite ruthless in deleting images.

I also store them on two seperate hard drives (one at home and one at my work) then every month or so, back them up from my computer.

I had a hard drive die on my once, and lost all the images. Fortunately they werent of much importance. Since then i keep everything backed up on at least two seperate drives.

Important as i sell images through a gallery and through my website.

Rob

Post #172249 19th Feb 2013 4:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The 3tb is a tempory solution till I get a NAS drive or Drobo

I'll have to have a look and see what's best, each HD movies 3-4gb nowadays, but I think the best way is to keep my current photos local and the family album holiday snaps off the main macs hard drive

Still waiting on it arriving do know more when it arrives Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172260 19th Feb 2013 5:46 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I use an off board HDD, but just to make sure, I don't overwrite the SD card Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #172325 19th Feb 2013 10:52 pm
EYorkshire

I'm 'anal' about my video's and photo's plus having only recently brought my wife into the digital age I have responsibility for hers as well Shocked , I have two HD's in my computer with programs on 'C' drive and all data is saved to 'D' drive. It is then saved out to my 1 TB external drive and each time it is given a seperate filename so as not to overwrite the old file, so I essentially have three copies on two hard discs at any one time.

I'd even use DVD's but with so many photos they were too small for me long ago.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 8th Apr 2013 4:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #172357 20th Feb 2013 8:26 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Same here.
I use an external drive which backs up every hour, then I clone my Mac every few weeks on another drive which is kept in a safe place.

Copying 35500 photos on to DVD would take forever!

Post #172362 20th Feb 2013 9:38 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

agreed, don't want to go down the burning dvd route, it would take too long

Just need to work out how to transfer all the photos from my mac mini to the new drive, and whether to dump them in a folder or go with the arrange by date taken in individual folders or year taken Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172366 20th Feb 2013 10:12 am
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
I'm 'anal' about my video's and photo's plus having only recently brought my wife into the digital age I have responsibility for hers as well Shocked , I have two HD's in my computer with programs on 'C' drive and all data is saved to 'D' drive. It is then saved out to my 1G external drive and each time it is given a seperate filename so as not to overwrite the old file, so I essentially have three copies on two hard discs at any one time.

I'd even use DVD's but with so many photos they were too small for me long ago.

Of course if you want to do the job properly, at least one of your back-ups should be away from your house to guard against fire & flood etc..........

Pete

Post #172382 20th Feb 2013 12:40 pm
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Regarding back ups, I took the decision to back up my 12000 photos to DVD, yes it took a while but once done I do a back up once a month of that year, all my photos are on my hard drive, the back ups are saved 1 set on site 1 set off site.

So yes you do take a hit once with the time but the flexibility is very good. And I needed it a while since. For some strange reason 1 of my back up discs went wonky, fortunately I still had the previous months.

I now have a folder full of discs with photos from the late 1800's early 1900's right up to present day, mind you most of my teenage yrs are missing Sad all my early motors etc. My11 freelander 2, xs, Manual, 18" hse sparkles, sidesteps, privacy, zermatt silver metallic, almond nutmeg alacantra, twin electric towbar

Gone my09 xs D3

Post #179234 8th Apr 2013 4:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i ended up buying a 3TB external drive and moved them all on to there, and this and the mac are timemachined to a second drive Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #179236 8th Apr 2013 4:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>