« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fuel Gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mork

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
Fuel Gauge

Has anyone else seen this. In the last three refills of Diesel the filling station pump has filled up to the first cut off point and a little bit more (my usual refill process). So to my mind the car is now full, only when I get back in the car and start up the fuel guage reads just over 3/4 full Question . This has only just happened - the car has just done over 12K miles. Going to pop into the dealer tomorrow after another refill try!

Last edited by mork on 27th Feb 2008 4:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #13671 30th Jan 2008 10:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mork

Not had that on this car

but one of my old vectra had a faulty sensor and like you when I "fully" filled it up needle show less than full

Trip to the dealer i think would be the best option

Why not take it less than full and get the dealer to top her up to get the correct perspective of the problem Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13672 30th Jan 2008 11:03 pm
mork

Typical just about to drive to the dealer having visited customers during the day and the fuel gauge sorted itself out lifting off the 3/4 mark to almost full. Nipped into a garage and purchased a diesel fuel can and filled the LR2 and the fuel can. Both full and the LR2 read "really" Full.... I hate it when things self fix? So no visit to the dealer today (luck boys). Big Cry

Post #13712 31st Jan 2008 8:06 pm
mork

Well my fuel gauge issue came back yesterday while travelling north on the A43 to Northampton. Around Towcester the Low Warning Light kicked in having left with half a tank from Newbury (had travelled just 65 miles @ 72 MHP Smile ) and by the M1 it was reading <10 miles on the computer, the needle then went on the 0 mark. LR went into limp mode just before the petrol station. Filled up with with just 49 litre till it could take no more. On the road again but needle read 3/4 full then slowly raised to FULL - called LR and booked her in for warranty repair. Took her into the garage today for it to be looked at was sorted by lunch time -this is a known fault - service guy showed me their works diagrams on how to solve it.

So if you have any fuel gauge issues take her straight in or you might find even though the car has plenty of fuel in the tank the ECU thinks you are empty ! Rolling Eyes

Got a free car wash - which was nice Thumbs Up

Post #14827 27th Feb 2008 4:30 pm
welshlr2

Wales 2008 LR2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
fuel gauge

I have a good one with the fuel Gauge at around half a tank it randomly drops to zero, the range will then count down to zero then back up again to the correct range, but the fuel gauge stays on empty with the light on.
It went into Conwy Landrover for a day to allegedly have a software up date about three weeks ago but surprise surprise it came back just the same.
Last week they had the car Mon- Fri and got it back yesterday.......still the same!!!!!

Post #15845 15th Mar 2008 12:31 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: fuel gauge

welshlr2 wrote:
I have a good one with the fuel Gauge at around half a tank it randomly drops to zero, the range will then count down to zero then back up again to the correct range, but the fuel gauge stays on empty with the light on.
It went into Conwy Landrover for a day to allegedly have a software up date about three weeks ago but surprise surprise it came back just the same.
Last week they had the car Mon- Fri and got it back yesterday.......still the same!!!!!

I've had more than a few niggles with my car, BUT at least my fuel gauge works OK. I'm sorry but LR are really letting themselves down when they can't provide a reliable fuel gauge. This is is total garbage, make them have it.

Post #17434 8th Apr 2008 9:20 pm
welshlr2

Landrover tell me that they have replaced the fuel tank and the two sender units on my car...... so far so good, I've had the car back for about a week now, the fuel guage now seems to read ok. I have about 120 miles left on the range at quarter of a tank which I never had before, so it must not have been right since new!!!!

Post #17448 9th Apr 2008 8:04 am
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Mork.

Just had the same issue. 3/4 full and the gauge dropped to zero with 1 mile on the range. Pulled over and after a couple of restarts it cleared itself..

Looks like Il'l be calling Charles Hurst tomorrow. Rolling Eyes '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #24280 14th Jul 2008 11:09 pm
welshlr2

fuel prob

Take it in to the dealer, they will prob faf about a bit like they did with my car but on third visit they replaced sender units and the fuel tank under warranty and had no problem at all with the gauge after that. good luck!!!

Post #24293 15th Jul 2008 10:54 am
mork

Be prepared for a number of visits and a long wait for parts. Mine went in 4 times before both sender units were replaced. The issue seems to be the fact we have two sender units in the fuel tank as the rear wheel drive shaft splits the tank in two [this is the same for all rear wheel drive cars], so the car needs to measure both tank levels once the fuel has dropped below a certain height. I have had the car back for just over 1+ month and all appear well. Though the garage did damage the rear coin holder and rear console in the process (thanks!) still waiting on the part for Harwoods in Basingstoke, it been about 1 month and a couple of weeks so far and several phone calls! Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

Post #24306 15th Jul 2008 2:44 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

mines in the shop today for the same thing. Suddenly decides its got no fuel. Had it when nearly empty and also when half full.
Having the roof recall done at the same time and the 'reduced traction' message ha made a couple of appearances recently so they're having another go at that too. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #24311 15th Jul 2008 4:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1