« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Vesko's Tamil Nadu Adventure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vesko

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Vesko's Tamil Nadu Adventure

I know you are missing Vesko. I myself cannot stay away from Freel2.com for too long. I invite you to follow my adventure through Tamil Nadu, India even though it is not connected with a Freelander 2 – but it is adventure nonetheless.

Moderator please delete, if my post is not appropriate.

Tamil Nadu Adventure

Click image to enlarge

At gate 20 of Don Mueang International Airport, a crowd of burly Indian men are pushing each other to get first on the airplane. Once settled in their seats they don’t follow the instructions to switch off their mobile phones or “any other electronic devices”, despite the numerous repetitions of a recorded message. During the flight, the Indian men keep playing games on their phones. A few passengers (from Japan) have special tickets and are served some drinks and food. Everyone is watching them with envy. For this occasion I am prepared with the fresh salad I bought on Sukhumvit road in Bangkok for 40 baht and also start my dinner. The Indian guy sitting next to me follows my every move with honest hunger in his eyes. I am surprised by the lack of remorse I feel at this very moment. On the contrary, I feel strange satisfaction…

More: http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6496[/img][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Vesko on 25th Mar 2013 10:42 am. Edited 11 times in total

Post #171114 10th Feb 2013 4:53 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Another trip and another story Thumbs Up

I can't wait to read it and see more excellent photos Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #171121 10th Feb 2013 9:57 am
Vesko

Thank you npinks Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Here is an extract from the second part "Lost in Madras":

"The streets in this area are crowded and lively. I have probably wandered into George Town. This is more like it - real India for me, with lots of auto and cycle rickshaws, and people everywhere, engaged in vigorous activities, or being lazy and sleeping in peace for that matter (perhaps they work during the night). I scan the shops selling ordinary items; study their shapes/designs and by guessing their use, try to imagine the everyday life of these people. It is so interesting for me, I forget about space and time, walking until I am totally lost. Finally I come out on a main road and enter a chai shop to ask for directions to Egmore Station (YWCA). A few wise old men are drinking chai. One of them understands my questions… But first I drink chai with them (best chai ever) and listen to their debate about the World’s politics – very engaging even if I don’t get a word. Then the wise men advise me to catch bus no 28."

Read more: http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6515[/img][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Vesko on 25th Mar 2013 10:42 am. Edited 4 times in total

Post #172103 18th Feb 2013 9:29 am
EYorkshire

Brilliant Vesko Thumbs Up

I don't know what it is about your writing but I seem to hang on every word, you have a talent for telling a story.

Post #172106 18th Feb 2013 10:31 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
... even though it is not connected with a Freelander 2

When the subject, writing and photography are that good, who cares! Keep it coming - great stuff. Thumbs Up

Post #172107 18th Feb 2013 10:40 am
Vesko

Thank you EYorkshire! Very Happy
And Thank you pab! Very Happy

Lets continue - Tamil Nadu Adventure 3 - “The Earth’s paradise”

“The Earth’s paradise”
This is the follow up of Lost in Madras: http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6515

This morning I am not in a hurry, but still pack my bag in 3 seconds. E-e, Vesko – you traveling champion, I tell myself and with uplifted mood go down to the reception, where polite Aruna checks me out. She looks on the computer and says: “A, there are 250 rupees to refund you”. I collect the money, but keep my mouth closed because at this moment my inner voice says: e-e, Vesko, how can you be so suspicious, doubting the good man yesterday. I remain silent, trying to retain only the first (the uplifting) words in my mind.

Across the street is the stop for bus 18B, which will take me to Mofussil Bus Terminal. It arrives overloaded with dozens cheerful Indian people hanging like grapes on all possible edges of the doors. They try to make some space for me, but there is no way I can push myself on board with my bag. I smile to thank them and decide to catch a rickshaw – waiting for the next bus would be pointless.

Immediately an auto rickshaw stops to me and I hustle with the young driver for the ride to Mofussil (from his 250 down to my 100 rupees). What follows is a nightmare of Chennai morning traffic and toxic air. Hundreds of trucks, cars, rickshaws and motorcycles are fighting for every millimetre. Add the pedestrians, who also struggle to cross the road and the madness is complete. The air is unbearable – my skinny driver is constantly coughing, a terrible cough, and spits down on every turn. Looking at his labours to gain one more metre, I feel a strange compassion. I cannot breathe the air myself – at this critical pollution moment I remember the cotton scarf my girl gave me “for India”. I pull it out of the bag and twist it double around my mouth, very grateful to her...

Read more (with photos): http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6650

Last edited by Vesko on 2nd Mar 2013 7:13 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #173558 28th Feb 2013 11:23 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

another great instalment, Bow down Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #173562 28th Feb 2013 12:15 pm
EYorkshire

Bow down It's that good.

Post #173589 28th Feb 2013 8:18 pm
Vesko

Next part is coming up :-)

Click image to enlarge

Post #174010 4th Mar 2013 11:26 am
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I really enjoyed the read.
Very Happy

Post #174026 4th Mar 2013 1:06 pm
Vesko

Mamallapuram

This is the follow up of “The Earth’s paradise”: http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6650

Click image to enlarge

The monster fan is blowing a gale in my room. So noisy, I can’t sleep. Turned down or stopped, the room becomes unbearably hot. I try to fight the noise with ear plugs, sweating in my Kathmandu silk liner, and then it is time to get up for a bit of work. Still 5am here, but it is advanced business morning in Australia. With the boring bit finished, I can switch my mind back to India again – namely to my desire for chai or two, so I head out to my chai place at the bus station.

I love this time of the morning, when the tourists are still in bed and the good people of Mamalipuram are getting ready for the day. The women are swiping the yards of their houses; the men are opening shops, or starting fires to cook meals in large pots. The stonemasons of the village are already busy at work chiselling some rocks. And everywhere someone has drawn elaborate patterns in front of the doorways (which has something to do with “Pongal”, the harvest festival). There is not a tout in sight and I really enjoy my two chai (it’s so good, I drink another one in succession.

Read more (with photos): http://veskopetrov.com/?p=6791

Post #177217 25th Mar 2013 10:47 am
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Enjoyed the read. I will return to India one day...I love you writings..

Post #177277 25th Mar 2013 6:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Another great write up Thumbs Up

I met a couple who were heading to Peru next year and walking the Inca Trial, now they won't do a write up, but if your passing maybe you could Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #177281 25th Mar 2013 6:28 pm
EYorkshire

Thumbs Up
Thanks Vesko, now if you ever come to Yorkshire there are some 'funny' people here to write about Laughing

Post #177351 26th Mar 2013 8:27 am
Vesko

EYorkshire wrote:
Thumbs Up
Thanks Vesko, now if you ever come to Yorkshire there are some 'funny' people here to write about Laughing

Hey EYorkshire, thank you for reading to the end. I'd love to visit Yorkshire one day Very Happy

Post #177369 26th Mar 2013 11:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>