Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Should you use the rotating Brush style car wash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Should you use the rotating Brush style car wash

Just been looking through the galleries and our good friend Viking has some great picture of his Caspian blue FL2 HSE

Lovely colour (not seen any photos of that particular blue and it does look nice Thumbs Up Thumbs Up )

But what was more worrying is that he has put it through the rotary style car wash Shocked

I thought these swirled the hell out of the paint work and was not recommended Question

Obviously this is not in anyway having a go at anybody who wishes to use these but i was a little shocked as these have left serious swirl marks on my previous car and i have heard we are advised not to use them, and only use a bucket sponge, jet wash etc

PS: Viking Are those 16" rims your winter rims? I thought HSE had 18" Rims Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13448 23rd Jan 2008 9:03 pm
John-Boy

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

I always took my Company cars through the car wash but would not do it to a car that I owned! Not good for the paintwork.

I occasionally use a Jet Wash but mostly I wash the FL 2 by hand at home. At the moment it is desperately in need of a good wash to remove all the mud, picked up from country roads.

Post #13457 24th Jan 2008 12:14 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The technology for the brushes seems to improved over the years, but I can't see how the grime picked up when it cleans a mucky vehicle is completely removed from them.......so I say they aren't good if you care.

Hand wash is the best....well when someone else does it! Mr. Green

Post #13475 24th Jan 2008 8:43 pm
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'd never put my car through a swirl-o-matic Very Happy

Paul;

Post #13498 25th Jan 2008 3:16 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

If you love your car then wash it properly. I use the two bucket technique and wash and polish mits.

From Performance Motorcare http://www.performancemotorcare.com

Hints & Tips
One of the best things you can do to maintain the quality of your motors appearance is regular washing, removing loose dirt and road film from the top of your motors paint finish. The type of Cloth, Mitt, Blade, Shampoos etc you use to wash and dry your motor is of vital importance in this process as is the care of these materials.

- Use a wash tool that can hold a lot of soapy water - this is again important for lubrication, preventing dirt from scratching your paint.

- Use a tool that has a lot of fine fibres and can pick up and hold dirt particles more effectively - again removing them from the surface of the paint to prevent scratching.

- Use a tool that can be cleaned easily to remove the particle it has picked up.

However regular washing, if not done with the right tools can also damage your paint surface and its appearance. Even the mildest of soaps can remove the protection from your paint and detergents can dull the finish even faster. Therefore:

- Use a high-quality motor wash shampoo. A good shampoo will provide lubrication to help prevent scratching and uses conditioners to help maintain the shine of your paintwork.

- Do not use general household washing liquids.

Washing & Drying Tips

Use two buckets - one with shampoo and one with just clean water to regularly rinse your wash tools during the washing process.

Wash tyres and wheels first - do not use the same water for washing the paintwork after. Throw it away and rinse the bucket out before filling again for the paintwork.

Also use a separate wash tool than the ones you will use for the paintwork.

Wash your vehicle when it is cool and where possible wash in the shade to prevent water evaporating too quickly and causing water spots.

First wet the surface of your vehicle with a good spray of water to loosen surface dirt. For bikes avoid the use of a pressure washer or strong hose spray.

Apply lots of soapy water with a tool with lots of fine fibres to draw up the dirt. Sponges tend to drag the dirt along the surface increasing the risk of the dirt scratching.

Wash from the top of the motor down in straight lines, not a circular motion. For bikes start with the tank and windshield (where relevant). Rinse each section as you go to avoid chances of soapy films remaining on your paintwork.

Give the motor a final rinse with the hose - do not use spray attachment as you want the water to sheet off the motor taking any last particles and residues with it.

Dry motor using your chosen tool, i.e. as a Chamois, Microfibre Cloth or Hydra Blade, again working in straight lines from the top down. Don’t forget to check for grit on every pass. Leaf blowers or the compressed air cans used in cleaning computers are good tools for bikes.

Give your tyres and wheels a final dry - again try to avoid using the same drying cloth you would use on the paintwork.

Regular washing is important to maintaining your motors appearance as is using and looking after your quality wash and drying tools. After washing and drying your motor always wash your tools and store them in a dry, dirt free place.

Remember when washing Microfibre Cloths do NOT use bleach or fabric softener/conditioner as it will tend to fill the spaces within the fibres and reduce its effectiveness

Regards

Rob & Ali

Jules

Post #14849 27th Feb 2008 10:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1