« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Caravan Towing Mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Caravan Towing Mirrors

Since my caravan mirrors were stolen in my christmas eve garage break in.

All you caravaners can help me choose my replacements

I had the Milenco ones that clamp to the top edge of the mirror housing, this worked great Thumbs Up

BUT, is there any better ones out there more suited, and has anybody got the adjustable remote control mirrors for shear lazyness Whistle . Do the suction style vibrate or fall off.

Flat or convex lenses Pro's & Con's.

Any help or ideas would be great Thumbs Up

(and before you say it Selling the caravan is not an idea CG Laughing ) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13224 18th Jan 2008 5:36 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

go on sell it use the money for exotic holidays. The price of the mirror alone would pay for a hotel room Wink

Last edited by chicken george on 18th Jan 2008 8:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #13225 18th Jan 2008 6:16 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
go on sell it use the money for exotic holidays. The price off the mirror alone would pay for a hotel room Wink

A hotel room that meets the standards I'm used to have in my caravan costs a lot more than those mirrors.

(and I do only speak about 1 night...)
Whistle

Last edited by Paul on 18th Jan 2008 8:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #13230 18th Jan 2008 7:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
builder

England 
Re: Caravan Towing Mirrors

npinks wrote:
Since my caravan mirrors were stolen in my christmas eve garage break in.

All you caravaners can help me choose my replacements

I had the Milenco ones that clamp to the top edge of the mirror housing, this worked great Thumbs Up

BUT, is there any better ones out there more suited, and has anybody got the adjustable remote control mirrors for shear lazyness Whistle . Do the suction style vibrate or fall off.

Flat or convex lenses Pro's & Con's.

Any help or ideas would be great Thumbs Up

(and before you say it Selling the caravan is not an idea CG Laughing )

Hi npinks.

I tried the type that stick by suction to the glass of the car mirror so that you can adjust them using the cars remote and I was very dissapointed with them, not very big and poor visability, especially when they fall off.

I then went for the milenco mirrors and very pleased with them, but not able to try them on a fl2 as yet. Big Cry

Post #13231 18th Jan 2008 7:32 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks, I can highly recommend:

http://www.repusel.com/ENGLISH/index.php

Despite the price, I bought those and can only admit they are PERFECT !

Post #13234 18th Jan 2008 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
builder

England 

Just been looking through my Camping and Caravanning Club mag that came in the post today, they are advertising the new Milenco grand aero mirrors suposedly better than the award winning Milenco aero mirrors of 2007.
They are expensive though at £44 for flat glass mirrors and £45 for conxex ones.
Best check out their web site to see if they are suitable, if so search around for a deal. Thumbs Up

Post #13235 18th Jan 2008 8:17 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Paul wrote:
chicken george wrote:
go on sell it use the money for exotic holidays. The price off the mirror alone would pay for a hotel room Wink

A hotel room that meets the standards I'm used to have in my caravan costs a lot more than those mirrors.

Whistle

Ok then they will pay for a good breakfast if its not included in the room rate, sausage egg bacon beans and black pudding taste a lot better than mirror.

Talking of which I going to London to see a show and stay in a hotel soon aslong as I can keep Mrs George out of them shops I should be a good break. She is driving me bankrupt with maternity wear and prams etc at the moment .... will thing get cheaper after baby is born? I don't think so somehow Rolling Eyes

Make sure to get wide angle mirrors so you can see me behind you and let me pass! as I always do when driving my tractor/combine harvester Wink

Post #13236 18th Jan 2008 8:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Paul wrote:
chicken george wrote:

Whistle

He doesn't need much in a hotel only a pillow stuffed of foam and Chicken George stuffing a preplucked feather donar Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13237 18th Jan 2008 8:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

builder wrote:
Just been looking through my Camping and Caravanning Club mag that came in the post today, they are advertising the new Milenco grand aero mirrors suposedly better than the award winning Milenco aero mirrors of 2007.
They are expensive though at £44 for flat glass mirrors and £45 for conxex ones.
Best check out their web site to see if they are suitable, if so search around for a deal. Thumbs Up

milenco's website does have those on either, i shall call them

my last ones were Milenco, so i don't mind the money on quality stuff and i shall look into the repusel ones too to see which is the best fit and safest/securest model Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13238 18th Jan 2008 8:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:

Talking of which I going to London to see a show and stay in a hotel soon aslong as I can keep Mrs George out of them shops I should be a good break. She is driving me bankrupt with maternity wear and prams etc at the moment .... will thing get cheaper after baby is born? I don't think so somehow Rolling Eyes

Make sure to get wide angle mirrors so you can see me behind you and let me pass! as I always do when driving my tractor/combine harvester Wink

What show you going to see? Mamma Mia?

Don't worry the wife will stop spending your money when the kid comes, and the kid will take over in her foot steps, Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13239 18th Jan 2008 8:59 pm
Transman

Hi Npinks.

Why do you need extension mirrors ? As long as I have been towing with Discivery or Freelander, I have never used them in the UK, France, Spain, Italy or Germany. No one has stopped me, no one has queried the situation
I do however tow a Vanmaster where you can see right thro with the centre mounted mirror. However, if I didnt have this type of caravan, I doubt whether I would use extensions.
Sorry to be a renagade, but thats how it is !!!

Transman

Post #13300 19th Jan 2008 8:37 pm
builder

England 

Transman wrote:
Hi Npinks.

Why do you need extension mirrors ? As long as I have been towing with Discivery or Freelander, I have never used them in the UK, France, Spain, Italy or Germany. No one has stopped me, no one has queried the situation
I do however tow a Vanmaster where you can see right thro with the centre mounted mirror. However, if I didnt have this type of caravan, I doubt whether I would use extensions.

Transman

I am not able to see through my van as it has no end window but, when towing other vans that have had end window I have always used extension mirrors as they certainly do allow for far more visability and often I pick up something in the extended mirrors that has been missed by the cars own mirrors.

I also find them very helpful for reversing as you get a far wider view and not just looking at the side of the caravan when it starts to turn sharply.

Post #13302 19th Jan 2008 9:28 pm
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I thought it was a legal requirement in france and spain to have towing mirrors?

Post #13309 19th Jan 2008 11:12 pm
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi NPinks,

Like yourself I use Milenco and find they provide a very clear view down both sides of the caravan with minimal vibration when at a stand still on tickover. I can also see directly through my bathroom window at the back of my caravan, but I still like to use extension mirrors, as without them I find there are too many blind spots. The other advantage I find with the Milenco's is when you are onboard a car ferry they fold in towards the side of the car when your car wing mirrors fold inwards, which stops other passengers bumping into them. If they are the fixed type attached to the wings or doors, this is not possible, and they are quite an obstruction in a restricted space. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #13317 20th Jan 2008 5:01 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Transman wrote:
Hi Npinks.

Transman

I like to have the caravan mirrors on for safety, as it gives me a lot more field of vision down the side and so on my van is virtually as wide as the legal limit in the UK.

Cheers

Nick Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13330 20th Jan 2008 11:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>