« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Trip Computer on 09 FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andyrich

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Trip Computer on 09 FL2

We enjoyed an afternoon at the Peckforton Land Rover Experience yesterday and drove an 09 reg. Freelander HSE, very similar to my 07 SE but the trip computer had a couple of variations, there is now a clock and also inst. fuel consumption, does anyone know if the older system can be updated?. I'm probably being optimistic but you never know.

Post #48078 1st Oct 2009 3:07 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I had a look at the MY10 user manual and as it mentions the instant fuel consumption so I called the dealer to find out if its a software update. The person I spoke to said that its a new 'console' and that just updating software don't work which is bit weird, because all the data is in the system and it just need different way of calculating.
Npinks have you got this in in your auto FL2? just wondering if its only for Stop/Start model? Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Last edited by Udash on 22nd Oct 2009 4:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #49147 22nd Oct 2009 1:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have instant MPG on my Auto too

I heard it was new for the MY2010 models Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49149 22nd Oct 2009 1:47 pm
mattyly

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Auto Santorini Black

it's interesting to me that this function ..

it is possible to update software

Post #49153 22nd Oct 2009 3:29 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

LR should provide this to all FL2s as a way of helping to improve our fuel consumption, especially if they are really serious about being green and kind to the planet and so on.
Having a instant fuel consumption is a beneficial functionality to all FL2 owners and this is something that can be easily done with a software update, so come-on LR... Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #49163 22nd Oct 2009 7:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Udash wrote:
Having a instant fuel consumption is a beneficial functionality to all FL2 owners and this is something that can be easily done with a software update, so come-on LR...

mmm all LR owners except me,as I never use it, what's the point in instant MPG it jumps about all the time even on the flat. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road

it's also I new screen too as this one shows the time too Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49164 22nd Oct 2009 7:38 pm
mattyly

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Auto Santorini Black

news for update software???

Post #49280 25th Oct 2009 11:23 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Some of my previous cars have had instant mpg read outs, As pinky said useless in many types of driving but I found it handy on motor way trips, I found if you eased your foot off the throttle slightly then the speed would drop by a tiny amount where as the mpg rose considerably. but if you drove up even a slight incline you would need to re-apply that pressure again to maintain your speed.
Driven like that my A3 and golf diesel's could average approx 60 mpg at 70 ish on motorway trips. I do however live in a fairly flat part of the country.
Also I rarely had the patience to drive in such a dull manner Whistle And driving a 70 on those roads makes you feel like a road block Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #49281 25th Oct 2009 11:48 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

npinks wrote:
Udash wrote:
Having a instant fuel consumption is a beneficial functionality to all FL2 owners and this is something that can be easily done with a software update, so come-on LR...

mmm all LR owners except me,as I never use it, what's the point in instant MPG it jumps about all the time even on the flat. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road

it's also I new screen too as this one shows the time too

Far more useful is the VAG version which has the trip consumption as the LR version but also a days (resets itself automatically) MPG/ av speed this allows you to know that you are being a bit heavy footed or not 

Post #49282 25th Oct 2009 11:51 am
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I like the new one. The courtesy car has it but I find that the instant is a bit too jumpy. I can be driving along a prefectly flat bit of road with everything off (AC/radio etc) and it'll jump from 30-40 mpg without me doing anything, cruise on or off. SWMBO has a wee BMW 118d and the instand is much more constant on that one. More useful imho. Although I like the clock and the wee line that goes across the display in the MY10 FL2 dash. Sort of like the D3 always had. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #49300 25th Oct 2009 7:58 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Instant MPG is only available on _e variants, it's part of the ECM software not the IPK (although the IPK does run a later version to accomodate it) so it's not possible to add it as a standalone option

Post #49301 25th Oct 2009 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

A automatic FL2 MY2010 has instant MPG but doesn't have the _e stop start Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49307 25th Oct 2009 8:45 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Yer, sorry - my experience of the SW versions (so far) is restricted to manual transmissions Embarassed

Post #49316 25th Oct 2009 9:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

My 2010 auto HSE has it but I dont bother to monitor it as down hill it reads 99.99 mpg and on start up it reads 5.00 so not too educational really.Sorry same as on any marque with that option. 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #49321 25th Oct 2009 9:41 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I use Range (remaining in tank) as a measure of instant economy in my 09MY manual. It has a slight delay, about 5 seconds or so, when you change driving behaviour but if its rising, you are getting more instantaneous economy and vice versa.

I agree with a previous post - if the instantaneous was there all the time I might be tempted to watch it to much! I think the Td4-e owners have it so that they can show "Green" friends "99.9" (or whatever it reads at max to represent infiny) when stopped at the lights instead of 0.

Still regulalry getting over 40, last tank to yesterday was 41.7 Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #49791 4th Nov 2009 5:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>