« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Handbrake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RunOfTheMill

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Handbrake

Post Watchdog program last night about faulty handbrake on Vauxhaul I wanted to check with other LR2 owners if they had a similar experiences.
Recently parked my LR2 outside my house, utterly convinced the handbrake was on but car not in gear. When I came back to the car it had rolled, luckily just gently into the garden wall casuing slight scrape on bumper.
I was convinved that the handbrake was ON after I had parked the car. I did a test later and stopped the car in the same position without the handbrake on and it started to move within a few seconds - I would have noticed this after I left the car the first time.
Has anynody else experienced handbrake "slippage" on the LR2? Run Of the Mill

Post #13150 17th Jan 2008 10:20 am
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: Handbrake

I have had a handbrake adjustment, as I had to pull it very high to make it work.

Other I beleive have had slippage with theirs.

Have you tried the search page? you might be able to get a little more information on the outcome Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13152 17th Jan 2008 10:59 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

a common problem with disc brakes, the disc cool and shrink after you park so the brake looses grip and the car rolls. The guy who sells me car insurance had the same thing in a golf, his car rolled down a hill and crashed into a car ( glad it happens too insurance guys too Laughing )
A zafira did it at my wifes work taking out two other cars and a fence, when they looked the handbrake lever was definately pulled up

Post #13153 17th Jan 2008 11:00 am
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Handbrake

npinks wrote:
I have had a handbrake adjustment, as I had to pull it very high to make it work.

Other I beleive have had slippage with theirs.

Have you tried the search page? you might be able to get a little more information on the outcome

My new FL2 returns to the Dealer next week - to get the cable adjusted. It's pactically useless currently... Big Cry

Post #13155 17th Jan 2008 11:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

A friend of mines got the New version VW Passat with the button handbrake, pressed the button, all held, got out onto the sloping driveway and walked to his front door and then hear the bang of the car going into his caravan and then opposites neighbours car.

Next door neighbour Mazda (mondeo size) handbrake slipped off, something to do with the ractchet teeth not biting and banged into his garage door, which dented his pride and joy Triumph which he shows everywere.

It make me think some better designing should be done to the handbrakes, how long before a mother and child are hit and killed by a run away car due to handbrake failure.

I always leave my car in gear when parked whether on a slope or the flat. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13156 17th Jan 2008 11:21 am
mjb

Germany 

I never use the handbrake, unless I'm parked on a really steep incline.
Just leave it in gear (first looking up the hill, reverse looking down) or park with an auto. - Mike

Post #13162 17th Jan 2008 12:14 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Be aware that handbrakes can "jump" out of its position if the hand brake is not properly LOCKED.
You know, that "buttonlike" thing on top of the hand brake. Make sure it is all the way "out" and not halfway in when you leave the car.

Some years back, a friend of mine parked his Passat at my house. I had a steep way down to my garage where I had parked my (then) Voyager. He parked on top, putting the hand brakes on.

The Passat stood there for at least 5 minutes, and then suddenly started to roll.
The Passat crashed into my Voyager and was quite smashed in the front. Not a mark on my Voyager though.

The hand brake on the Passat was not properly locked, and after 5t minutes it gave in and jumped out of its position.

So remember to check that "button" on top of the handbrake. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #13169 17th Jan 2008 1:40 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine's been back twice due to an ineffective handbrake. It's sorted now, and I was told it wasn't connected properly to start with (great PDI Exclamation ).

I always leave my cars in gear, much easier now that you need to have the clutch in to start.

Post #13171 17th Jan 2008 2:15 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Perhaps now is a suitable time for us all to just read what the handbook has to say on parking!

1) Firmly apply footbrake.
2) Pull the parking brake lever upwards until the parking brake is applied.

Note- Do not press the parking brake release button when applying the parking brake.

There is also advice on parking on a slope.

Post #13172 17th Jan 2008 3:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Nazca Sand Eddie wrote:

1) Firmly apply footbrake.

Does it say How hard "firmly" is Question

Do I have to think enough pressure to

"crush a grape?" or with enough pressure as "if i jumped off a dolls house"

if you could let us know that would be Fandabidozi Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13173 17th Jan 2008 4:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1