« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Fraser Island
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rawlo

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Fuji White
Fraser Island

Hi people, I'm taking my FL2 to Fraser Island in a few weeks, going with a triton with lift kit etc.
Taking an air compressor, shovel, snatch strap.
Has anybody been to Fraser Island? I'd like to hear about your experiences, good and bad.
I shall post details and photos of the trip, after.

Post #159756 4th Nov 2012 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

A few on here have been over with no problems. Let your tyres down before you try and get on the barge at Inskip. Some noobs get bogged there before they even get to the barge. Very Happy . Try and travel the beach near low tide or you are stuck up in the fluffy stuff. Be careful of the places where the streams empty across the beach. They can cut quite a bit of sand out making a big dip that is almost invisible until you are on top of it. If you have time, cross the river at Tewantin and get onto the beach at North Noosa and drive to Rainbow Beach via the beach, a really nice drive but I think they charge a fee for it now. Cheers.

Post #159758 4th Nov 2012 9:45 am
Blue Moon

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Do it. Take your car and don't worry, it'll be fine. I went to Fraser a couple of years ago in a hired Nissan Patrol and saw a couple of Freelander 2's whilst I was there and they didn't have any issues. I agree with mikehzz, drive on the hard stuff when on the beach I.e. close to the waters edge. You can even play "split the jelly fish" whilst you are driving. Some of them can be the size of a dustbin lid Rolling with laughter. Watch for the rivers that cut across the beach, they can appear from nowhere and they can be very deep. The water depth won't be a problem but the drops into them can be severe. I have gret memories of Fraser and I'm very jealous of you Big Cry , go and do it and get some piccy's in your gallery. The closest we have in the NW of England to beach driving is Southport Beach and it's nowhere near the same as Fraser. Have fun. 2010 TD4e S manual Alaska White - Gone
2012 SD4 GS auto Fuji White - Gone
2014 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Post #160262 8th Nov 2012 8:07 am
shelby

Australia 2010 LR2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

hi rawlo - i have a 2010 hse diesel freelander 18' rims standard wranglers, i was on fraser early september 2012 for 10 days, rented a house at orchid beach, drove the island with tyres at 20 psi, in sand mode , dsc off, used the manual where necessary, otherwise left it in auto, the barge people will advise when you can negotiate hook point (dont use the inland road (too rough) easier to travel the beach 2 hours either side of high tide, use your blinker to indicate your intentions when vehicles approach, beware of the wash outs where the fresh water from inland flows to the ocean, the only problem with the freelander was the deep wheel ruts on the track leaving lake mckenzie the vehicle bellied out and had to be snatched out backwards - several times - on this day we had 4 adults, 40l engle full of food and beer, + a 100amp second battery (32kg) + all other gear for the day - good load - on the way to orchid beach to our accommodation the freelander went over indian head - fully laden 1st attempt (dont be shy with the gas pedal) - get up it - same with waddy point, on the inland tracks keep your eyes open for what we called dirty sand - black in colour very soft and powdery - travelled with a d4 3l diesel and a d1 3.5 petrol - lastly have fun we did

dave 2010 HSE TD4 Ipanema Sand - almond interior

Post #160663 11th Nov 2012 11:21 am
shelby

Australia 2010 LR2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

hi rawlo - i have a 2010 hse diesel freelander 18' rims standard wranglers, i was on fraser early september 2012 for 10 days, rented a house at orchid beach, drove the island with tyres at 20 psi, in sand mode , dsc off, used the manual where necessary, otherwise left it in auto, the barge people will advise when you can negotiate hook point (dont use the inland road (too rough) easier to travel the beach 2 hours either side of high tide, use your blinker to indicate your intentions when vehicles approach, beware of the wash outs where the fresh water from inland flows to the ocean, the only problem with the freelander was the deep wheel ruts on the track leaving lake mckenzie the vehicle bellied out and had to be snatched out backwards - several times - on this day we had 4 adults, 40l engle full of food and beer, + a 100amp second battery (32kg) + all other gear for the day - good load - on the way to orchid beach to our accommodation the freelander went over indian head - fully laden 1st attempt (dont be shy with the gas pedal) - get up it - same with waddy point, on the inland tracks keep your eyes open for what we called dirty sand - black in colour very soft and powdery - travelled with a d4 3l diesel and a d1 3.5 petrol - lastly have fun we did

dave 2010 HSE TD4 Ipanema Sand - almond interior

Post #160664 11th Nov 2012 11:23 am
Rawlo

I'm off to have a crack at it tomorrow, thanks for all your advice, hope the rain has packed the sand down a bit for us! Cool

Post #161943 23rd Nov 2012 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rawlo

Hi Guys, the car went better than I thought possible, in the begining I was very cautious of getting belly deep! But was only close to getting stuck a couple of times, once up near the lakes, and once when we got off the ferry at rainbow beach on the way home, a couple of patrols/ hilux etc stuck in the churned up sand from the buses, but never got stuck over the entire trip!!!! Cool
Thanks for the tips, tyre presssure and control settings. I ran at 15psi, only problem is when you hit a tree root pretty hard!! Caution over rocks is obvious.
Compared to my mates jacked up triton, was the speed at which he could travel on his big ass tyres! I have 18" so at 15psi not much between rim and track. Other than that I think my traction control had me going through some stuff better than him.
Great place to go, loved it and will go again some time. Kids loved Elli creek the best.

Click image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge

Post #164474 15th Dec 2012 10:53 am
Blue Moon

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Well done. Glad it all went well and you had no problems. Is that the ferry in your piture that takes you back to Rainbow Beach? FYI, I'm sat in a very very rainy and cold Manchester, gutted that you've been and it may be some time before I get back there, I'm absolutely jealous as hell Big Cry 2010 TD4e S manual Alaska White - Gone
2012 SD4 GS auto Fuji White - Gone
2014 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Post #164951 20th Dec 2012 8:02 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nice to hear you went so well. I have no doubts about the FL2 but have been tested on soft, fluffy sand in times past. There are plenty of similar conditions to be experienced without the drama or expense of Fraser Island in the local region. If anyone would like to know about these spots; some great for camping, others just for the drive, let me know? Beach conditions change from time to time, making some great sand-driving trails either very difficult or impossible. For example, a recent Low in the Pacific caused huge waves which are great for thrill-seeking surfers, but they eat away the tracks to/fro the beaches and in many cases, large sections of the dunes behind the waterline. Any Freel2 member gets free camping and free tips at my place if they come to the Fraser Coast region.

Post #165283 24th Dec 2012 12:56 pm
taztastic

England 

That's one heck of a good offer Jaksbak, wonder if we can get a meet Laughing

Happy Christmas down under Thumbs Up

Post #165288 24th Dec 2012 1:38 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

No sweat. I have a few secret spots to visit - if only we could get a great storyteller like Vesko to document the area!

Post #165304 24th Dec 2012 2:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1