Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Is a remap worthwhile.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hornsby

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue
Is a remap worthwhile.

Using my 2008 F/L2 extensively for work I would like to improve the economy. Is a remap worthwhile? Has anyone any practical experience of whether this is worthwhile? Thanks.

Post #160473 9th Nov 2012 1:38 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

No!

Depends on who does it really, I have had a few cars done and had nothing but problems, ie lots of black smoke from over fuelling, also sensors packing up or carboning up, sticking variable vains on turbos!

Buy a different car if you are after fuel economy, not a 2ton 4x4!

Post #160474 9th Nov 2012 1:42 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Alter your driving style to improve economy...a £500 remap will take a lot of miles to regain your outlay before you start saving!

What economy do you get, from what type of driving? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #160479 9th Nov 2012 2:46 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

a remap wont cost 500 pounds lol basically if i were you i'd contact your local remapping firm generally around the 150-199 mark or get a bluefin superchip which you can sell after you sell the car you'd have to remove the map before you sell it though or someone wont be happy lol as it exchanges a map for a map.

"a friend of mine Rolling Eyes gets 40ish on the motorway driving at 65mph on a round trip of 230 miles Smile" When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160481 9th Nov 2012 2:53 pm
Big Dave

chrisdeeming wrote:
a remap wont cost 500 pounds lol basically if i were you i'd contact your local remapping firm generally around the 150-199 mark or get a bluefin superchip which you can sell after you sell the car you'd have to remove the map before you sell it though or someone wont be happy lol as it exchanges a map for a map.

"a friend of mine Rolling Eyes gets 40ish on the motorway driving at 65mph on a round trip of 230 miles Smile"

Chris would you let a company that maps cars do yours for £150?

Superchips are £320 at the moment, and that's only because there's a 20% off offer on. And they aren't exactly the the most cutting edge company, they just sell a standardised map on the whole. If you want a proper remap where the mapper creates a map customised to you and what you want, in this case mpg, you need to go to someone like JE Engineering; £580. LOL

Personally JE are the only people I'd let near mine. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #160487 9th Nov 2012 4:06 pm
chrisdeeming

"my friend!! has had no issues what so ever and the map was custom made, however custom made maps are somewhat of a myth they have to start with you original map anyway and then tweak the graphs for the optimum spec you require... " When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160492 9th Nov 2012 4:29 pm
Hornsby

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue
Thanks for remap advice

Many thanks to all, I will simply lighten the pressure applied by my right foot, this won't cost anything. Again, thank you.

Post #160493 9th Nov 2012 4:34 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

In a word, yes it does make a difference, it's not really fair for some to ay it doesn't if they have not done it on their FL2's

. But...... it all depends who does it. I have had mine re-mapped by Superchips since February 2008, so nearly five years.

I have not had one single issue at all from having it re-mapped. Under full throttle or full load, there is a little moreblack smoke than normal. But mine has not got a DPF so this is expected.

Drive it hard and you will use more fuel, but take it easy and it will use less than standard. I found an increase of around 3-4mpg is possible. But it all depends on your driving style.

It makes the car much smoother to drive and more effortless.

I would recomend it. With the exception of my aurrent A3, I have re-mapped every car I have owned for the past 10 years. Never had an issue with any of them.

Big Dave wrote:
chrisdeeming wrote:

"a friend of mine Rolling Eyes gets 40ish on the motorway driving at 65mph on a round trip of 230 miles Smile"

Chris would you let a company that maps cars do yours for £150?

. And they aren't exactly the the most cutting edge company, they just sell a standardised map on the whole.

Not strictly true. Superchips re-write your own cars map file and then load both the original and the modified version of your original map onto the Bluefin.

Superchips are involved with alot of manufacturers for OE mapping. they do all the VAG Group motorsport mapping.

They are a reputable company to deal with. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #160498 9th Nov 2012 5:19 pm
Big Dave

Mav71 wrote:
In a word, yes it does make a difference, and those who say not are wrong. But...... it all depends who does it. I have had mine re-mapped by Superchips since February 2008, so nearly five years.

I have not had one single issue at all from having it re-mapped. Under full throttle or full load, there is a little moreblack smoke than normal. But mine has not got a DPF so this is expected.

Drive it hard and you will use more fuel, but take it easy and it will use less than standard. I found an increase of around 3-4mpg is possible. But it all depends on your driving style.

I would recomend it. With the exception of my aurrent A3, I have re-mapped every car I have owned for the past 10 years. Never had an issue with any of them.

What you say is correct Mav...however, the OP is specifically asking is it worth mapping in regards to fuel economy, or saving money.

I'm quite pro-mapping on quite a few vehicles these days, particularly pre-dpf cars, but only if you're interested in the whole package a map brings. For economy, a map is an expensive way to decrease consumption by 5-10%. If you decrease consumption by 10% (Mav states this is 'possible', not the norm, so you won't) you will need 25000 miles at a constant decrease in consumption to offset the cost.

If the OP was going to keep their vehicle for another 100 000 miles they might start to be quids in. But I doubt they will.

From the economy P.O.V, it's a bit like buying double glazing for your house, but selling before you've saved the money in decreased heat loss! (ignoring any added value) Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #160508 9th Nov 2012 5:49 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

chrisdeeming wrote:

Is that that chipped as my auto does 41 mpg on the motorway at 70 and its standard?

Post #160517 9th Nov 2012 6:06 pm
chrisdeeming

thats really good have you had it from new ? When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160525 9th Nov 2012 7:02 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I've got a superchips map on my car, I get about 6mpg better according to the computer, the car has a lot more get up and go and is just plain nicer to drive with the change. Since I do about 18k miles a year and I plan on keeping the car for another couple of years, then it makes financial sense to do so.
No, I didn't buy the car for performance but when you're stuck behind a train of tourists at 30mph it's nice to be able to get past safely and quickly.

You can move the Bluefin from car to car as well, mine started life on my wife's MINI One, when we sold the car I had it reprogrammed for the Freelie.

No motorways here but I get 44mpg according to the on board computer. Was getting 37-28 before.

Post #160535 9th Nov 2012 8:01 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Big Dave wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
In a word, yes it does make a difference, and those who say not are wrong. But...... it all depends who does it. I have had mine re-mapped by Superchips since February 2008, so nearly five years.

What you say is correct Mav...however, the OP is specifically asking is it worth mapping in regards to fuel economy, or saving money.

I'm quite pro-mapping on quite a few vehicles these days, particularly pre-dpf cars, but only if you're interested in the whole package a map brings. For economy, a map is an expensive way to decrease consumption by 5-10%. If you decrease consumption by 10% (Mav states this is 'possible', not the norm, so you won't) you will need 25000 miles at a constant decrease in consumption to offset the cost.

If the OP was going to keep their vehicle for another 100 000 miles they might start to be quids in. But I doubt they will.

From the economy P.O.V, it's a bit like buying double glazing for your house, but selling before you've saved the money in decreased heat loss! (ignoring any added value)

Yes thats a fair point. I was looking at it from every angle. Not just mpg gains. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #160549 9th Nov 2012 10:06 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

chrisdeeming wrote:
thats really good have you had it from new ?

No it was just over 3 year old when I got it on a 57 plate,I must admit it is the best of the 5 LRs that I have had Thumbs Up

Post #160573 10th Nov 2012 10:44 am
chrisdeeming

it could already be remapped then ? Smile When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #160574 10th Nov 2012 11:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>