« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > My New Freelander2 HSE Auto Stolen New Year's Eve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
annesley23

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
My New Freelander2 HSE Auto Stolen New Year's Eve

My FL2 was stolen on New Year's Eve. Broke into my house and nicked the sod and everything in the house.

Can anybody give me some advice on what might happen with my insurance. I'm with a reputable company.

I purchased the car by paying a 1/3 deposit and the rest on finance. Does this affect how the insurance deals with things.

I also purchased GAP insurance from Land Rover at the time of purchase.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY WELCOME.

AS YOU CAN IMAGINE.....I'M GUTTED!!!!!!!!!!! Big Cry Freelander 2 HSE Auto TD4. Privacy Glass. DAB Radio. Upper Chrome Mirror Covers. Tread Plates Front/Back. Cargo Net. SafeGuard, Santorini Black, Moon Roof

Post #12539 3rd Jan 2008 5:38 pm
brian27

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Re: My New Freelander2 HSE Auto Stolen New Year's Eve

annesley23 wrote:
My FL2 was stolen on New Year's Eve. Broke into my house and nicked the sod and everything in the house.

Can anybody give me some advice on what might happen with my insurance. I'm with a reputable company.

I purchased the car by paying a 1/3 deposit and the rest on finance. Does this affect how the insurance deals with things.

I also purchased GAP insurance from Land Rover at the time of purchase.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE REALLY WELCOME.

AS YOU CAN IMAGINE.....I'M GUTTED!!!!!!!!!!! Big Cry

imo they will generate a settlement figure which should pay off the finance then whatever is left will go to yourself 2007 fl2 narvik black ,chrome mirrors,side steps,tinted windows,20" kahn wheels,6000k xenon conversion,black leather,garmin nuvi satnav,silver vision indicator bulbs,clear side repeaters.

Post #12540 3rd Jan 2008 5:45 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

What a nightmare for you.

The method of financing your car has absolutely no relevance to the insurance cover. As long as you have provided correct personal & vehicle details to your Insurance Co - and you have paid your insurance premiums on time - then you are completely OK. You will receive the full value of the car - as identified on your documents.

Hope you get it back 100% undamaged - or that you never see it again (and therefore get a brand new replacement).

Best of luck.

Maybe supply the reg plate nos - so the UK members can keep an eye out for it............. Thumbs Up

Last edited by jimmy on 3rd Jan 2008 5:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #12541 3rd Jan 2008 5:50 pm
annesley23

Plate was BJ57 RCU

Keep an eye out. Freelander 2 HSE Auto TD4. Privacy Glass. DAB Radio. Upper Chrome Mirror Covers. Tread Plates Front/Back. Cargo Net. SafeGuard, Santorini Black, Moon Roof

Post #12542 3rd Jan 2008 5:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Rotten luck.. i hope things get sorted for you

Whats gap insurance for then,written off cars? Also return to invoice insurance whats that all about?

In my mind gap insurances pays you the difference between what the insurance pays you for your car and the true cost of replacing it. return to invoice insurance gets you a new car again. But Im a farmer not an insurance man so I dont really know
I get two years free gap thru my insurance company.. which is nice, but maybe I should look into the return to invoice thing

Post #12544 3rd Jan 2008 6:05 pm
Retired

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
Rotten luck

So sorry to hear your rotten luck.Fingers crossed that everything turns out ok.

Post #12546 3rd Jan 2008 6:13 pm
chicken george

whoops i didnt read this bit " I also purchased GAP insurance from Land Rover at the time of purchase" I thought the insurance was somehow going to replace the car without gap insurance

Post #12548 3rd Jan 2008 7:05 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

That is bad luck, I hope they catch whoever it was, and string them up

Have you spoekn to Land ROver finance yet? I guess if you bought the GAP insurance from them, they'd need to know what is happening.

Have your insurance company supplied a loan car yet? Is this something that maybe Landrover finance, or assistance could help you with, to ensure you get the smae level of car, and not a little Micra as they seem insistant on you having these days.

Rich

Post #12549 3rd Jan 2008 7:09 pm
chicken george

ive been googling :-

Return To Value Gap in brief
Suitable for the majority of car owners
Can be taken out up to 7 years after buying your car
For Private or Dealer/Broker sourced cars.
Available if you paid cash or took out any kind of loan
Available if you have a contract hire or leasing agreement
RTV pays the difference between the Motor Insurer's settlement and the value of your car today.

RTI Gap in brief
Great cover for new and used cars
RTI is available to you whether you paid cash or borrowed the money from a Bank or Motor Loan or even chose Contract Hire.

Added Protection
RTI gives you added protection if your car is declared a "Total Loss".

Get back the amount you paid
RTI pays difference between the your Motor Insurers settlement and the original amount you paid for your car

Post #12550 3rd Jan 2008 7:15 pm
muddywheels

England 

If car was less than 12 moths old they usually replace with new like for like - that was my experience when I wrote off a Mondeo a few years ago!

Insurance just ordered me exact replacement from local dealer. Thumbs Up

Post #12553 3rd Jan 2008 8:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

they may want to wait a set period of time to find if the police locate the vehicle.

Then depending on the insurance companies policy you may get a

cash settlement (paying off finance then balance to you)
or more likely a like for like replacement (normally brand new) but you might be offered the same spec but different colours from stock, so insist on the same colour but you may need to wait. Exclamation

Look at you GAP cover aswell, to seem there terms

Speak with your insurance company aswell as you might find that you are not covered for a courtasy car for more than 14 days due to it been theft. Shocked

bar the thieving bar stewards robbing you blind out of house and home and car at least you should be covered completely by taking both policy's (insurance/gap)

I know the feeling i had my garage broken into Christmas eve, taking the wife suprise christmas present (a Gaggia coffee machine) along with nearly all my power tools and an old dyson Vac

god knows how i would feel if they came into the house, though i spend each night hearing noises now. Crying or Very sad

Beefing up the household security maybe required by your insurance company and depending on your company they may insist on a safe Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12555 3rd Jan 2008 9:11 pm
annesley23

Thanks for the info so far.

Can't begin to tell you how this has made me feel.

Everyones views are really welcome.

I will try a keep you posted with what has happened.

I have been told by the insurance that i have got to wait seven days to see if it is recovered.

No courtesy car though as the vehicle has been stolen. This is not too much trouble as i can drive the company van to and from work. Freelander 2 HSE Auto TD4. Privacy Glass. DAB Radio. Upper Chrome Mirror Covers. Tread Plates Front/Back. Cargo Net. SafeGuard, Santorini Black, Moon Roof

Post #12564 3rd Jan 2008 10:45 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

annesley23 wrote:

Very bad news indeed. No consolation now but there is a readers letter in the February issue of LROI mag on the increase in LR being stolen in the Merseyside area with similar M.O. and reply was it is in general across the country due to the increased security devices fitted by manufacturers. A friend had his Subaru stolen the same way.
Might be worthwhile getting some kind of tracker device fitted. At least then if it is taken, there is a good chance of catching the thieving b Censored d's, but then the do-gooders will fight to reduce the sentence. Either way, the honest guy loses.
Check the vehicle tracker product review in Autoexpress.
In the Middle East, a thief gets his hand cut off but Brussels won't allow that in the EU. Who is right?
Best of luck to you but prepare yourself for a replacement rather than getting yours back. Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #12583 4th Jan 2008 2:28 pm
builder

England 

wildrover wrote:
annesley23 wrote:

Very bad news indeed. No consolation now but there is a readers letter in the February issue of LROI mag on the increase in LR being stolen in the Merseyside area with similar M.O. and reply was it is in general across the country due to the increased security devices fitted by manufacturers. A friend had his Subaru stolen the same way.
Might be worthwhile getting some kind of tracker device fitted. At least then if it is taken, there is a good chance of catching the thieving b Censored d's, but then the do-gooders will fight to reduce the sentence. Either way, the honest guy loses.
Check the vehicle tracker product review in Autoexpress.
In the Middle East, a thief gets his hand cut off but Brussels won't allow that in the EU. Who is right?
Best of luck to you but prepare yourself for a replacement rather than getting yours back.

The EU have got a lot to answer for. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #12593 4th Jan 2008 6:17 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

wildrover wrote:

Only a few countries in the middle east still do this, and it does work relatively well....but then again nothing else over there does!!

Post #12608 4th Jan 2008 9:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>