« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Battery.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
John L

United Kingdom 
Battery.

Well as we know it is getting colder, and where I have been used to 10-12 degrees first thing in the morning, it was down to 4 this morning, and I know that up country a lot of you have been colder than that.
I realised this morning that the old girl was cold starting slower than of late and I suspect it's time the battery was changed.
Still has the original black Exide fitted, which is nearly 6 years old and has never let me down or had to be charged. I think that has done rather well considering a lot of them failed in early life.
What I was wondering is what make to replace it with. The Bosch/Varta ones seem to match spec wise and have a good warranty on them. If anyone could recommend or otherwise I'd be grateful.
Thanks.

Post #158892 27th Oct 2012 2:23 pm
EYorkshire

I haven't replaced one but I know a man that has.

A member on here, ad210358 replaced his the beginning of the year with a 100 Ah Bosch, if he reads this thread I'm sure he'll update you on fitment and how it's performing.

Post #158912 27th Oct 2012 5:14 pm
ad210358

England 

Mine was replaced under warranty earlier this year as stated by EY, it needs to be the Absorbant Glass Mat variety apparantly, also whilst watching the fitting of the said battery the LR Assist guy had to programme the vehicle with the Laptop, entering details such as the model type, if it has Heated Seats etc, all this it seems I was told that the vehicle needs to allow the battery to discharge occasionally to allow it to keep it in tip top condition, maybe bull Censored but that's what I was told.

Post #158915 27th Oct 2012 5:25 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

True about letting batteries discharge, but 6 years isn't bad for one. Not that it's really possible on a car!!

If you want to put off buying one for a while, a CTEK charger is a good investment. If the car will be left for a couple of days, hook it up, and it will charge your battery in a way to make it last much longer. It only needs to be done occasionally Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #158934 27th Oct 2012 8:05 pm
michal969

Czech Republic 

You only need AGM battery on a car with start/stop system.Also some reprogramming may be required as these cars have battery monitoring system (BMS). As John's 2007 probably does not have start/stop system it makes the battery change much easier - replace with any good (Varta Blue or Silver , Bosch etc.) battery with capacity around 80Ah and you are finished (of course recode radio,windows,clock tec....)

Post #158945 27th Oct 2012 8:45 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Michal 969 is quite correct in that my car does not have the stop start (don't like those systems anyway) so hopefully a normal battery (which I think the original is) should do the trick. The current one does indeed have an 80Ah capacity.

Post #158953 27th Oct 2012 9:14 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

See this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11221.html

No need to recode the radio - FL2 radio not coded. You may need to reset the windows (see manual) and the trip computer will zero.

You don't need AGM battery (twice the price) UNLESS you already have one, which is unlikely. They are stamped AGM on the label. Need to buy one myself next week!

Post #158967 27th Oct 2012 11:32 pm
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Perfect fit!

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12799.html

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12795.html Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #158970 28th Oct 2012 5:57 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

michal969 wrote:
You only need AGM battery on a car with start/stop system.Also some reprogramming may be required as these cars have battery monitoring system (BMS). As John's 2007 probably does not have start/stop system it makes the battery change much easier - replace with any good (Varta Blue or Silver , Bosch etc.) battery with capacity around 80Ah and you are finished (of course recode radio,windows,clock tec....)

My car has stop/start but its only the base model so nothing fancy like electric seats, heated seats etc. If I ever need to replace the battery will it be a straight forward swop or will the car need programming?

Post #159021 28th Oct 2012 1:09 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I think Alex posted about this a while back. If you swap from AGM to lead acid (or visa versa) it will need reprogramming to get the right charging strategy into it's brain! John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #159027 28th Oct 2012 1:50 pm
EYorkshire

No programming is necessary if you swap 'like for like' and assuming it is original spec, the software written into your car has the specification of the battery to control the charging etc.
You also have a heavy duty 180 amp alternator due to the start/stop and again the charging control for this is in the car's software.

Remember all start/stops have the AGM battery because of the extra loading on it.

Post #159028 28th Oct 2012 1:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1