« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What's your job?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
What's your job?

Having been part of Audi forums in the past I found it really useful to know what everyones job is, so that if members need advice in a certain area they can turn to someone on the forum.

I'll start it off;

I work for a forklift manufacturer as the Technical Manager for the Africa and Middle East region, providing technical support on forklifts to a dealer network.

Post #12342 30th Dec 2007 12:42 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I sexually please hollywood starlets on their days off. If you see Angelina tell her I will get round to her house soon but there is a waiting list you know.

Post #12343 30th Dec 2007 12:51 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

When I'm not driving a Range Rover Sport or a Defender 90 I am driving and managing the day to day operation of this http://containerinfo.co.ohost.de/vessel_9299927.html How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #12345 30th Dec 2007 12:57 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
I sexually please hollywood starlets on their days off. If you see Angelina tell her I will get round to her house soon but there is a waiting list you know.
And you only drive a Freelander2??? For a man of such accomplishments I would have expected something a tiny bit grander. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #12347 30th Dec 2007 1:00 pm
Gambba

Tim in Scotland wrote:
When I'm not driving a Range Rover Sport or a Defender 90 I am driving and managing the day to day operation of this http://containerinfo.co.ohost.de/vessel_9299927.html

That's exactly the sort of job I wanted to hear about from this thread.

Questions for you Tim:
How many containers are lost overboard a year?
Do you actually pilot it then?
How many crew does a ship like that need?
In the container shiping world is it a big, medium or small ship?

Post #12348 30th Dec 2007 1:04 pm
Gambba

chicken george wrote:
I sexually please hollywood starlets

Starlets also known as chickens? Very Happy

Post #12349 30th Dec 2007 1:09 pm
builder

England 

Gambba wrote:
chicken george wrote:
I sexually please hollywood starlets

Starlets also known as chickens? Very Happy

He prefers the young ones and simply calls them his as chicks. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #12350 30th Dec 2007 1:58 pm
chicken george

you may laugh, but not many of you will be getting a delivery of 97,000 "chicks" tomorrow

Post #12355 30th Dec 2007 3:01 pm
chicken george

Tim in Scotland wrote:
chicken george wrote:
And you only drive a Freelander2??? For a man of such accomplishments I would have expected something a tiny bit grander.

You think I have to drive to their houses? They send a car for me!

Post #12356 30th Dec 2007 3:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: What's your job?

Gambba wrote:
Having been part of Audi forums in the past I found it really useful to know what everyones job is, so that if members need advice in a certain area they can turn to someone on the forum.

I'll start it off;

I work for a forklift manufacturer as the Technical Manager for the Africa and Middle East region, providing technical support on forklifts to a dealer network.

I run a Residential Letting & Property Management Company in the Leeds Area and we are also Insurance Brokers specializing in Landlords Buildings Insurance in the Residential and Commercial sectors. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12362 30th Dec 2007 4:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Gambba wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
When I'm not driving a Range Rover Sport or a Defender 90 I am driving and managing the day to day operation of this http://containerinfo.co.ohost.de/vessel_9299927.html

That's exactly the sort of job I wanted to hear about from this thread.

Questions for you Tim:
How many containers are lost overboard a year?
Do you actually pilot it then?
How many crew does a ship like that need?
In the container shiping world is it a big, medium or small ship?

I was watching a program on $ky the other week on the working days of a container ship like yours Tim, it was very interesting, it went on from how the containers are loaded, according to weight and destination, the daily checks on frozen loads and the nightly ongoings and lookouts for "pirates" Shocked I did giggle when the captain started shouting "PIRATE STATIONS- PIRATE STATIONS" over the tanyo and all they have was a hose pipe to defend themselves against to possible pirate boarding them withAK47. (though i bet its not a laughing matter for those on board ship) I had the impression of Tony Blackburn on the old Pirate radio ship in my head for some reason but that could have been due to the Barcardi & Coke Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #12363 30th Dec 2007 4:58 pm
builder

England 
Re: What's your job?

Gambba wrote:

I'll start it off;

Like to take a guess. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #12364 30th Dec 2007 5:05 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Gambba wrote:

Questions for you Tim:
1) How many containers are lost overboard a year?
2)Do you actually pilot it then?
3)How many crew does a ship like that need?
4)In the container shipping world is it a big, medium or small ship?

1) From my ship and 99.99% of other ships NONE, there is a myth going round that we go round throwing containers overboard to get rid of the marine equivalent of the caravan - the yottie. Containers do get lost but it is more in the 100's a year than the 1000's a day that some mis-informed journalists would have you believe. A yacht is more likely to hit an old fridge or freezer (chucked over a cliff or fly tipped) floating just below the surface than it is likely to hit a container.

2) Yes, I am on duty and responsible for the conning of the ship and managing it safely 24 hours a day for 3-4 months at a stretch, but I don't have to stay on the bridge all that time. We take local pilots to guide the ship alongside a berth or in port approaches, but I am still the BOSS. I am responsible to the owners for operating within an annual budget and on behalf of the charterer (who is also my employer) as economically as possible to maintain the schedule. I'm the one who has to decide whether we go from burning 185 tonnes of fuel a day at economical speed 21 knots or have to speed up and burn 390 tonnes a day to do 26 knots (30mph) - the fuel bill for the whole company (>550 ships) was $15.8 billion in 2007!

3) We can sail with 16 personnel, but the ship is difficult to operate with so few if things go wrong so on my last tour we had 21 and that included 4 trainees.

4) That ship is a LARGE containership, however Maersk also operate 11 x 405m long 56m wide and 15000 container capacity ships and they are known as Ultra Large Container Ships. Not so long ago, 14 years ago, I sailed on the then biggest containership in the world - it was 4250 units capacity...................... that size is now termed a feedership. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 30th Dec 2007 9:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #12366 30th Dec 2007 5:26 pm
MacLR2

United States 

I'm an Arborist...
climbing and caring or cutting down dead, dying and diseased trees for the City of New York.

Here's a little info about trees...

http://www.treesaregood.com/

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  My 2008 LR2
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v511/Mac...098429.pbw

Last edited by MacLR2 on 30th Dec 2007 6:47 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #12367 30th Dec 2007 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

one of my dreamjobs- 'the guy who operates the hydraulic crushing,smashing,ripping and tearing machine at a caravan graveyard'

Post #12368 30th Dec 2007 6:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>