Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Suitable tow rope for FL2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Suitable tow rope for FL2?

I have done towing before when I had my old FL1 (my licence covers it). I helped a neighbour back in 2010 get his car back up the hill and pulled a friends car out of a snow drift he slid into. I didn't do any in last winter as it was more like spring throughout Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I am looking to buy a new tow rope but have heard some negative reports about the supposedly heavy duty ropes from places like Halfords. Is there a good quality rope to be had without paying mega prices? I certainly don't tow any Tom, Dick or Harry but just in case the occasion calls for it this winter....

Any thoughts? 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #156765 7th Oct 2012 10:32 pm
Kal-El

Also, my younger cousin has a Shogun but isn't covered for towing on his licence. He asked me what the penalty was if caught towing without a licence but I didn't know. Short of scouring the net, anyone know off the top of their heads? 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #156766 7th Oct 2012 10:35 pm
Apache

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

There is an exclusion in law towing vehicles out of trouble or in an emergency (ie breakdown situation).

Get a towing strap or a rope with a bit of give.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-Arctic-...3ccb2bd979

Post #156767 7th Oct 2012 10:41 pm
Apache

A rope like this would be good but much more bulky to store

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-MTS-X-24-MM-NY...589024bd4e

Post #156768 7th Oct 2012 10:43 pm
Gareth Adams

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Driving without insurance, 6-8 points + Fine

Driving without license 3-6 points + upto £1000 fine

So probable loss of License.

Post #156769 7th Oct 2012 10:45 pm
Kal-El

Thanks Apache Thumbs Up

The first rope looks good and sturdy so will keep an eye on bids there. So does this exclusion mean that if my cousin was using his shogun to help a friend stuck in snow or broken down he would not be punished?

Keep the thoughts coming folks Very Happy 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #156770 7th Oct 2012 10:45 pm
Gareth Adams

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

I think you would be very unlucky to be done for towing someone on a rope who had broke down / got stuck in snow.

Towing another vehicle by rope is really for emergency recovery only.

Post #156771 7th Oct 2012 10:56 pm
Kal-El

It would be amusing if I found a stranded cop car and had to pull them out! Helping the emergency services is probably classed as an emergency, especially if they are en route to an emergency Confused Laughing 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #156773 7th Oct 2012 11:01 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Kal-El wrote:
It would be amusing if I found a stranded cop car and had to pull them out! Helping the emergency services is probably classed as an emergency, especially if they are en route to an emergency Confused Laughing

That's a dangerous assumption. There was a case recently where a motorist crossed the line at a red light to let an ambulance on an emergency call through. When he challenged the resultant fine and penalty points from the camera in court, the magistrate said that it was "not considered sufficient reason" to quash the points and fine. I think he may have had to pay costs on top of his fine too.

Post #156776 8th Oct 2012 6:05 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

One thing to be carefull of is the rating of the tow rope. Towing a 2 ton Freelander on tarmac is easy, pulling the same vehicle out of a ditch, or stuck up to the chassis rails in mud will take much more effort.

Towing your mates stranded (3 ton?) shogun will destroy the shackles on a 'car factors' bought tow rope - you then have flying shackles, a Freelander shooting forward, and possibly damaged vehicles / people.

I have a 5 ton webbing strap and 5 ton shackles - both will have been proof tested to 10 tons before certification. Removeable shackles allow the strap to be fed throuh the towing eye of the stranded vehicle. A longer length strap can always be doubled up for towing, a short strap might not be long enough to reach a stranded motorist stuck in a ditch, without placing your vehicle in a risky position.

My observations only - not trained in recovery, just done quite a few Very Happy Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #156779 8th Oct 2012 8:08 am
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

I have, and have used to help others on two occasions, 3 of these- Towsure part number S167, they are 4000kgs webbing.

Post #156816 8th Oct 2012 5:12 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I would never tow on a rope unless you absolutely have too. Use a proper rigid bar for towing, a lot safer and you have a bit of control over the vehicle you are towing

I think towing a vehicle is different to towing a trailer, the dvla only states b+e is for towing braked and I braked trailers, nothing about towing cars

Post #156819 8th Oct 2012 5:41 pm
Kal-El

Andy131 wrote:
One thing to be carefull of is the rating of the tow rope. Towing a 2 ton Freelander on tarmac is easy, pulling the same vehicle out of a ditch, or stuck up to the chassis rails in mud will take much more effort.

Towing your mates stranded (3 ton?) shogun will destroy the shackles on a 'car factors' bought tow rope - you then have flying shackles, a Freelander shooting forward, and possibly damaged vehicles / people.

I have a 5 ton webbing strap and 5 ton shackles - both will have been proof tested to 10 tons before certification. Removeable shackles allow the strap to be fed throuh the towing eye of the stranded vehicle. A longer length strap can always be doubled up for towing, a short strap might not be long enough to reach a stranded motorist stuck in a ditch, without placing your vehicle in a risky position.

My observations only - not trained in recovery, just done quite a few Very Happy

Andy, probably my fault for not being clear. My cousin has a shogun and wanted to know if he can tow stranded cars in winter. His licence doesn't cover towing but I understand from other members that situations like stuck cars in snow would be an exemption from needing a licence for towing. If you see what I mean.

As for towing from my point of view, it could be the neighbours mondeo for example if he goes and gets stuck again. With that in mind, how would you rate the tow ropes that Apache posted about above? 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #156826 8th Oct 2012 7:00 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The first for me would be the better bet, 7M seems a better bet for reaching a stranded vehicle that might not be on the carriage way. webbing stores easier and the hook looks more substantial - the advert suggests that it is rated to 9 tons, more than enough. The downside, the hook is not removeable, the hook and strap don't look to have ratings sewn/stamped on them, as you would find on modern lift rated items. you would still need to buy a suitable shackle for the other end, unless you are intending to loop it over a tow ball on your car.

The tow rope is shorter, the shackles do not look to have a rating stamped in them, and the rope does not have a label stating it's capacity. That said the rope does look substantial, the advert says that it has a 24 tonnes capacity, which is more than enough for car recovery. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #156866 8th Oct 2012 11:20 pm
Apache

The strap and rope I linked were just examples really.

I like the flat straps because they are easy to store and are available in decent lengths and capacities.

The advantage of the rope I list is that there will be some 'give' and that reduces snatching of the towing vehicle. Snap hooks are great.

I use straps. I don't use expensive lifting rated shackles because they are for infrequent use and if they snap they snap (never had a problem).

A rigid bar is no use for what you want. If you are trying to rescue a car stuck in a ditch you need correct angles and distances between the vehicles. If you have a snap hook or shackle you can drop the strap over your towball and snap onto the other car's front ring in less than 30 seconds - a real consideration if you are stopped on an icy road rescuing someone. Just take the tension as you drive forwards.

If you anticipated towing a vehicle far then you want a bar or ideally an A frame.

Post #156870 9th Oct 2012 1:25 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>